Medical School Choice and Residency Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qifu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not too knowledgeable as to what factors go into successfully matching into one's residency of choice. I have heard some people say that it doesn't matter what school you go to as long as you are a good student. So that leads me to the question. How big of a factor does attending a particular medical school have on successful residency matching?

The reason why I am asking is because I am having a hard time deciding between 2 schools. I have been accepted to both KCOM and SOMA. I really like both schools. KCOM is tried and true with a long history and solid foundation. SOMA is exciting and new with potential to be groundbreaking. One thing that concerns me with SOMA is that it is such a new school and I am not sure how strong it is in matching students to the residency they want.

It would be great if I can get some thoughts and opinions regarding this matter. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this at one of my interviews (at this particular interview I wasn't concerned about that school necessarily, but other schools I interviewed at) and was told (this by a man who has been director of multiple residencies) that when it came time to choose, the most important factor was knowing that you have the potential to be strong clinician and team player, and the best way to do that is by audition rotations. So, my somewhat uneducated opinion is that if you work hard and do away rotations, are pleasant in the middle of the night, you'll probably be successful regardless of which school you attend. All medical schools are good.

Chocolate Bear has posted the residency matching info on a lot of schools..check the class threads. Kirksville's matches are definitely there, nay on SOMA because their students have never gone through the process!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Chocolate Bear has posted the residency matching info on a lot of schools..check the class threads. Kirksville's matches are definitely there, nay on SOMA because their students have never gone through the process!

Like you said, SOMA is unreported. But since you mentioned my latest info compiling project :D:

D.O. Match Lists

You're absolutely right - there is no data on SOMA, not even COMLEX scores. I was concerned as well, so I visited their Brooklyn CHC. I really, really liked what I saw.

First off, I was very impressed by the faculty members there. For example, here is a (loose) transcript of a conversation I had with the director there.

Director: Why'd you go into medicine?
Me: I read this book Mountains Beyond Mountains, it was really inspirational.
Director: I haven't read it, don't know what it's about.
Me: It's a biography of Paul Farmer.
Director: Oh, Paul? Yeah, I know Paul...

SOMA doesn't have much of a history to go off of, but the people running it do. People who are very involved in medicine are interested in/involved in this school, because it's not just another school like all the others popping up every year - it's different. Those involved want to see it work, and everyone else is interested in seeing if it will work.

They told me straight up that they will write letters, make phone calls, and do whatever they can for their students when it comes time to apply to residency.

Second, I got to see SOMA's 2nd year curriculum - and they tell you what pages in KAPLAN (school provided) to study for the COMLEX as you are studying those subjects. So everything is integrated, which I think will help me score better on the test than the classic "binge and purge" style of studying.

So, for me, between the ATSU name, the faculty energy behind the "movement," other people's interest in the new, different school, and their unique style of studying for the COMLEX, students at SOMA will have a great shot at good residencies.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! They are really helpful. :thumbup: