MD & DO Medical school debt is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Slightly off topic, but isn't it strange that to make a decent, and only decent living, in America you have to be in the top few percent of incomes? The economy only seems to work for people with the salary of a doctor or higher? That's a terrible economic system
1614530926979.jpeg

This post was made for people like you. I understand that some crazy percent of medical students come from the top 10% household income, so statistically you are likely to be out of touch. Even then, this is an impressively bad take for someone born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

So you’re saying that people making $80-150k/yr are barely getting by??? Since $150k/yr is the realistic floor for doctors other than pediatricians in NYC or SF (F in the chat for them). And $80k is pretty low for a two income household. Making more than $40k each is very attainable with a high school education.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have kids and want to live in nice suburbia with good school district, you better be ready to spend 400k+ in a house. That is a $2300+ house payment (mortgage + HOA + property tax + insurance). That will stretch your budget if your household income is not > 120k/yr.
Not even close. Our first neighborhood out of residency (great schools) has lots of houses around 300k for 3000 sq ft. With escrow, estimated cost/month is about $1400.

Reactions: 7 users
Well I already own a house in a good suburb with excellent schools and only pay $1300/month total..... so... I’m going to disagree with you.

Going to be selling this house and buying one for residency and will be in the exact same situation. In many places I’ll probably be spending less a month actually. And yes that includes mortgage, taxes, insurance, HOA, etc. No you don’t need to make 120k to do that at all.
When did you purchase it? I own one as well, but I bought it in 2011 for 150k when the market crashed... That same house is 380k+ right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you purchase it? I own one as well, but I bought it in 2011 for 150k when the market crashed... That same house is 380k+ right now.

I was just recently house hunting and found several in desirable neighborhoods with great school districts for 250-300.

Reactions: 2 users
Not even close. Our first neighborhood out of residency (great schools) has lots of houses around 300k for 3000 sq ft. With escrow, estimated cost/month is about $1400.
A mortgage + property tax + insurance on a 300k house should be more than $1400/month (assuming a 10% down payment)

Maryland. About 20 mins from DC.
That's good... I am in the south now where things supposed to be cheaper... Most of the places I look at, one need to spend 400k+ to be in a decent suburbia with ok school districts.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah the good old I didn't read the thread but I am going to vomit out a hot take anyways. I never once said to "live like a resident" when you become an attending. In fact I said it is a good idea to immediately give yourself a 100% pay raise (double your take home pay) to get some immediate gratification for finishing residency/fellowship.

The match rate for family medicine is like >99% for domestic medical graduates so the madness over not matching into your desired specialty is very real, but NEVER matching is not a realistic fear. We all worry about it for sure, even if it is super unlikely, but it is an irrational fear. Failing out would suck but that goes for any graduate or undergraduate degree.

I also never said that medical school debt was fair or appropriate or should not be lower. All I argued that was that medical school debt is not the doom and gloom that a lot of people make it out to be. Should medical school be more heavily subsidized by the government? Hell yeah it should. Should the loans be 0-2% like they are in basically every other Western country? Yep. The concept that the government makes profit off loans to educate its own citizens is disgusting. They should be losing money on our loans due to inflation!!! That is how it works in all of Europe and Canada.

It is really ridiculous to be so out of touch with the minimum wage that you honestly think residents are "lucky to be making minimum wage is residency." You have either never worked a low-wage job and/or are parroting a common anecdote medical students and residents say. A PGY-1 in Texas makes like $55k pre-tax. You would have to work 145 hours per week to earn that much while making minimum wage ($7.25) or 154 hour/week if you get the 3 weeks vacation most residents do, even no minimum wage worker is getting vacation time. Tons of states have a minimum wage of $7.25/hr. Some states have a minimum wage in the $9-12/hr range. PGY-1 salaries in those states are normally like $60k. To make $60k in Maryland with their minimum wage of $12/hour, you would need work 96hr/week with no vacation, 102hrs/week with 3 weeks vacation. Then there are the states and individual cities with that juicy $15/hr minimum wage. To make less than than minimum wage in these states as a PGY-1 making $60k, you would need to work 76hrs/week with no vacation, or 81hrs/week with 3 weeks vacation. Here is a chart:
Minimum wage, PGY-1 salaryHrs/wk need to make less than min wage (no vacation)Hrs/wk needed with 3 weeks vacation
$7.25/hr, $55k salary145 hours/week154 hours/week
$12/hr, $60k salary96 hours/week102 hours/week
$15/hr, $60k salary76 hours/week81 hours/week

So yes, some PGY-1 residents working in LA, DC, SF, and Seattle might approach the minimum wage if they are going over 80hrs/week. But that combination of things is not common. Very few residencies average >80hrs/week over an entire year, even less so if you restrict it to a few cities (the state minimum wage in NY and CA is like $12.50-$14).

Now let's be clear, I think that residents should make at least as much as NP/PA's. There is really no economic argument against this, other than hospitals' profit margins combined with 0 bargaining power on the part of residents. But "you are lucky if you are making minimum wage in residency" is some impressive hyperbole.
I agree with you on nearly all your points in this thread, but one thing I wanted to point out was that your hours calculation for minimum wage hours should take into account overtime pay for hours >40 week if we want to compare it to a typical hourly worker. Just so that you can make all your rebuttals in good faith since obviously there’s already been bad math earlier in this thread with regard to effective tax rates.
Obviously it doesn’t move the needle all that much in $7 min wage states but it actually gets pretty close in CA.

2017... and I have been dogging houses like crazy in multiple cities where I could potentially be going for residency and have seen many houses in this range in good in good neighborhoods.
That's good... I am in the south now where things supposed to be cheaper... Most of the places I look at, one need to spend 400k+ to be in a decent suburbia with ok school districts.
Eh, I’ve looked at multiple cities in the south and found good houses in good neighborhoods with good schools for 200-220k.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need 2,000+ sqft to raise 1-2 kids, which is relevant because nowhere in the South makes you pay >$200/sq ft ($200 / sq ft * 2,000 sq ft = $400k). I grew up in an expensive southern city (expensive for the south) and went to a top 5 public high school in the state which was enough to get me into a top 10 undergrad. My mom's house if she sold today would be about $170/sq ft. I say my mom;s house, as in single mom who raised me on like $40-110k/yr (obviously she moved up in her profession a lot over the years, 6-figures was only towards the end of high school).

The problem people get into is that they think they need 3000-4000 sq ft to live in when they make $100k a year. You know what is a big house out in the country in Germany? Like 1,500 sq ft.

2017... and I have been dogging houses like crazy in multiple cities where I could potentially be going for residency and have seen many houses in this range in good in good neighborhoods.

Eh, I’ve looked at multiple cities in the south and found good houses in good neighborhoods with good schools for 200-220k.
Will shoot you a PM when I am ready to move...

You don't need 2,000+ sqft to raise 1-2 kids, which is relevant because nowhere in the South makes you pay >$200/sq ft ($200 / sq ft * 2,000 sq ft = $400k). I grew up in an expensive southern city (expensive for the south) and went to a top 5 public high school in the state which was enough to get me into a top 10 undergrad. My mom's house if she sold today would be about $170/sq ft. I say my mom;s house, as in single mom who raised me on like $40-110k/yr (obviously she moved up in her profession a lot over the years, 6-figures was only towards the end of high school).

The problem people get into is that they think they need 3000-4000 sq ft to live in when they make $100k a year. You know what is a big house out in the country in Germany? Like 1,500 sq ft.
Sorry... I need 2200 sqft at least to feel comfortable. 4BR and 2-3BA

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you on nearly all your points in this thread, but one thing I wanted to point out was that your hours calculation for minimum wage hours should take into account overtime pay for hours >40 week if we want to compare it to a typical hourly worker. Just so that you can make all your rebuttals in good faith since obviously there’s already been bad math earlier in this thread with regard to effective tax rates.
Obviously it doesn’t move the needle all that much in $7 min wage states but it actually gets pretty close in CA.
Minimum wage jobs very rarely let you work overtime. They will hire two people to work 40 hours/week instead of one person to work 80 hours/week. To work that many hours at a minimum wage job you need to have 2-3 jobs.

Source: have worked minimum wage/close to minimum wage jobs

Sorry... I need 2200 sqft at least to feel comfortable.
Sarcasm? After someone replied "you really need at least a physician's salary to live decently and only decently in the US," I don't know what is real anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember from other threads, aren't you in South Florida? I agree with you housing prices are ridiculous there (my parents own a home there), but you can't really extrapolate it to other parts of the country. Apologies if I'm incorrect on your location.

Have you been to FL, Atlanta and its suburbs?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember from other threads, aren't you in South Florida? I agree with you housing prices are ridiculous there (my parents own a home there), but you can't really extrapolate it to other parts of the country. Apologies if I'm incorrect on your location.
Yes.... It's pathetic and schools are not even good.

Yes.... It's pathetic and schools are not even good.
Yes, I agree. And in the spots where they are, 2000 sqft homes are 600k+. But again, to the point of the thread, no one is forcing you to live there. And I'm someone who's planning on going back there to settle, and eventually I'll probably purchase a ~1M home that I could get where I'm at now for 300k. It's what it is, but at the end of the day it is still our choice to be there for whatever reason.

Have you been to FL, Atlanta and its suburbs?
I put no one "makes" you pay >$200k/sqft in italics for a reason haha. And if you really want to live in Miami or Atlanta while making $120k, gotta be ok with less square footage in exchange for a better school district. None of this applies to physicians though.

Sarcasm? After someone replied "you really need at least a physician's salary to live decently and only decently in the US," I don't know what is real anymore.
We (family of 4) were ok on a ~1500 sqft on a combined income of 110-120k/yr. Spouse worked 3 days/wk. I worked 2 days/wk. Low mortgage payment (I think it was < $1400/month), 2 vacations/year, kids were involved in all kind of ECs. Life was great. Why did I go to med school?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Agreed, the Euros definitely are used to much smaller living spaces than we are. I believe that 1,500 sq ft house in Germany is much costlier per sq ft than in the states. 12 to 1500 sq ft in the states is more than adequate for a family of 4. We had a small ranch in the country with 1 bath and it all worked fine. Bigger house, bigger taxes, bigger bills, bigger mortgage.

Yeah.. I will be ok with 1400 sqft, but goal is 2200+. We were ok with ~1500 sqft before.
Ah. Yeah we are living in 1600 sq/ft 3b/2ba with an office. And that’s what we are looking at size wise.

View attachment 331401
This post was made for people like you. I understand that some crazy percent of medical students come from the top 10% household income, so statistically you are likely to be out of touch. Even then, this is an impressively bad take for someone born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

So you’re saying that people making $80-150k/yr are barely getting by??? Since $150k/yr is the realistic floor for doctors other than pediatricians in NYC or SF (F in the chat for them). And $80k is pretty low for a two income household. Making more than $40k each is very attainable with a high school education.

You made a lot of assumptions. I was not at all born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I have had to fight for everything I have had. My dad and mom went bankrupt while in high school and then my dad died and my mother got a brain tumor that left her on disability. I paid for my car, my rent, my college, everything. I am now making around 30k a year for my family of 5. I have privilege, but I would never say I was born with a silver spoon. Have you lived in poverty? I made less than 20k one year due to a variety of difficult life circumstances.

I lived in subsidized housing and I have seen firsthand how many people struggle to survive in this economy. You completely misunderstood my point. The economic system in America was made for and functions for the top 10%. Most Americans struggle to make ends meet. Also, do you really believe that most Americans are making 80-150k? That's radically out of touch if so.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Agreed, the Euros definitely are used to much smaller living spaces than we are. I believe that 1,500 sq ft house in Germany is much costlier per sq ft than in the states. 12 to 1500 sq ft in the states is more than adequate for a family of 4. We had a small ranch in the country with 1 bath and it all worked fine. Bigger house, bigger taxes, bigger bills, bigger mortgage.
Well I’m currently in a 1300 square foot apartment. I’m a family of 2 adults and 2 chihuahuas. I don’t want a McMansion, but when I have a salary and kids, I’m definitely going to have a larger space.

I lived in subsidized housing and I have seen firsthand how many people struggle to survive in this economy. You completely misunderstood my point. The economic system in America was made for and functions for the top 10%. Most Americans struggle to make ends meet. Also, do you really believe that most Americans are making 80-150k? That's radically out of touch if so.

Danm! I guess I was privileged when we were between 110-120k/yr working a combined 60 hours/wk (spouse 36 and 24 myself)... Things are not great for the lower middle class.

• Okay...
You have so drastically changed your argument that I honestly think you are bating people. You went from this:
isn't it strange that to make a decent, and only decent living, in America you have to be in the top few percent of incomes? The economy only seems to work for people with the salary of a doctor or higher? That's a terrible economic system
to this:
I am now making around 30k a year for my family of 5
I made less than 20k one year
Also, do you really believe that most Americans are making 80-150k? That's radically out of touch if so.
43% of American households make more than $80k...so yeah I don't think it is very out of touch to say that is an attainable income.

But like I said, you made one demonstrably false comment, someone calls you out on it, then you change your tune to "a lot of Americans are struggling and $80-150k is a lot." I thought only a doctor's salary was a lot? That is at least >$150k, really more like >$200k when you take out the bottom 10% or so who combine low income specialty with HCOL area. So which is it?

I have also NEVER claimed that most Americans don't struggle to make ends meet. That is one of the underlying themes of this post if you took the time to read critically. Doctors have a better financial situation than >95-97% of Americans.

Oh, do you realize most med schools give you like $1500-2000/month to live on? Most med students without help from their parents have lived a 20-30k lifestyle, myself included.

I assumed you grew up wealthy because it makes no sense for someone that is supposedly raising a family of 5 on $30k to say that you need at least $200k for a "decent and only decent" lifestyle.

Mediocre trolling attempt, but you did get me in the first half. Low pass.

Do you have kids? I have 2 and it’s much nicer to have 2000+ sq ft.

You have so drastically changed your argument that I honestly think you are bating people. You went from this:

to this:

43% of American households make more than $80k...so yeah I don't think it is very out of touch to say that is an attainable income.

But like I said, you made one demonstrably false comment, someone calls you out on it, then you change your tune to "a lot of Americans are struggling and $80-150k is a lot." I thought only a doctor's salary was a lot? That is at least >$150k, really more like >$200k when you take out the bottom 10% or so who combine low income specialty with HCOL area. So which is it?

I have also NEVER claimed that most Americans don't struggle to make ends meet. That is one of the underlying themes of this post if you took the time to read critically. Doctors have a better financial situation than >95-97% of Americans.

Oh, do you realize most med schools give you like $1500-2000/month to live on? Most med students without help from their parents have lived a 20-30k lifestyle, myself included.

I assumed you grew up wealthy because it makes no sense for someone that is supposedly raising a family of 5 on $30k to say that you need at least $200k for a "decent and only decent" lifestyle.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, my son made 90+k last year as a truck driver. He has health ins, paid vacation, and a 401K. Certainly an obtainable skill by almost any American who can drive, pass a cdl health exam and be willing to go to work.

Healthcare employees salary in the US is bloated compared to other industries to be honest...

The few people I was close to in nursing school are all making 120k+/yr working 48 hrs/wk. One particular one that I am still very close to told me last December that her net worth was already over 1m (350k house paid off + 750k+ in 401k/IRA/HSA and stocks). Husband makes 70k-80k which helps a lot I guess. But It seem like becoming millionaire in the US is not that difficult after all. Graduated from nursing school in 2006

Last edited:
  • Wow
Healthcare employees salary in the US is bloated compared to other industries to be honest...

The few people I was close to in nursing school are all making 120k+/yr working 48 hrs/wk. One particular one that I am still very close to told me last December that her net worth was already over 1m (350k house paid off + 750k+ in 401k/IRA/HSA and stocks). Husband makes 70k-80k which helps a lot I guess. But It seem like becoming millionaire in the US is that that difficult after all. Graduated from nursing school in 2006
Is this in California? The ironic thing about that state is doctors make way less and nurses make way more yet I have classmates saying they can't imagine working anywhere but Southern California or the Bay Area or they won't have anything to do in their free time. In my state, the doctor/nurse salary ratio is probably like 4:1 to 10:1 whereas in California it can get as low as like 1.2:1 or even 1:1. In NYC it is not at all unreasonable for an RN ($110-130k) to make more than a pediatrician ($90-100k). Not idea why anyone would do that to themselves in a country with 50 beautiful states to choose from.

Is this in California? The ironic thing about that state is doctors make way less and nurses make way more yet I have classmates saying they can't imagine working anywhere but Southern California or the Bay Area or they won't have anything to do in their free time. In my state, the doctor/nurse salary ratio is probably like 4:1 to 10:1 whereas in California it can get as low as like 1.2:1 or even 1:1. In NYC it is not at all unreasonable for an RN ($110-130k) to make more than a pediatrician ($90-100k). Not idea why anyone would do that to themselves in a country with 50 beautiful states to choose from.
South FL..

Not that difficult to make kind of money in nursing be honest. If my spouse was still working as a RN, she would have made ~110k/yr now (working 48 hrs/wk). The kicker is all that money with just an AS degree from a community college.

Last edited:

The few people I was close to in nursing school are all making 120k+/yr working 48 hrs/wk. One particular one that I am still very close to told me last December that her net worth was already over 1m (350k house paid off + 750k+ in 401k/IRA/HSA and stocks). Husband makes 70k-80k which helps a lot I guess. But It seem like becoming millionaire in the US is not that difficult after all. Graduated from nursing school in 2006

That’s not normal for nurses at all. They make good salaries, but the vast majority of clinical nurses are not making 6 figures. My wife was a nurse in California and didn’t make that much, nor did any of her coworkers, and they were at the high end for nursing salaries across the country.

to this:

Meh, this is pointless

That’s not normal for nurses at all. They make good salaries, but the vast majority of clinical nurses are not making 6 figures. My wife was a nurse in California and didn’t make that much, nor did any of her coworkers, and they were at the high end for nursing salaries across the country.
She just does not know how to work the system... You started with $25/hr, get 2 yrs experience on the floor them move to ICU and you salary jump to $30/hr. Get 3+ years experience in that ICU and move on to another hospital and your salary will be in the $35+/hr. In 5+ yrs, you are already making >$35/hrs. You work 4 days/wk (4-12 hrs), which is 50 hrs/wk (10 hrs overtime) due to nature of the job, hence 100K+/yr. Money $$$.

She just does not know how to work the system... You started with $25/hr, get 2 yrs experience on the floor them move to ICU and you salary jump to $30/hr. Get 3+ years experience in that ICU and move on to another hospital and your salary will be in the $35+/hr. In 5+ yrs, you are already making >$35/hrs. You work 4 days/wk (4-12 hrs), which is 50 hrs/wk (10 hrs overtime) due to nature of the job, hence 100K+/yr. Money $$$.

She made $48/hour. If you’re working 4 days a week, you’re working 4 10s. That’s 40 hours, not 50. And the hospitals are pretty strict on clocking in early or out late. She made just under 100k pretax. There were people volunteering to take every single weekend shift to push their salaries up, but just working your regular hours isn’t getting you $125k+.

And again, this is in like the highest paid state for nursing. When I worked in Texas, nurses were making like 40k. My friend in Nebraska ended up just quitting because they were paying $15/hr at a major center. In NJ, the nurses were making around 80k. Most nurses aren’t making more than 100k.

She made $48/hour. If you’re working 4 days a week, you’re working 4 10s. That’s 40 hours, not 50. And the hospitals are pretty strict on clocking in early or out late. She made just under 100k pretax. There were people volunteering to take every single weekend shift to push their salaries up, but just working your regular hours isn’t getting you $125k+.

And again, this is in like the highest paid state for nursing. When I worked in Texas, nurses were making like 40k. My friend in Nebraska ended up just quitting because they were paying $15/hr at a major center. In NJ, the nurses were making around 80k. Most nurses aren’t making more than 100k.
My spouse was an ICU nurse < 3 yrs ago. Trust me she was making 45k working 2x12 hrs/wk (about 25 hrs/wk because nurses usually clock out late).

For instance, if you are making $40/hr (40x40k52) ~84k and the 10 hrs over time is paid at $60/hr (60x10x52) is 32k... 84+32 = 116k.

My friends in ICU/PACU are able to work overtime...

South FL..

Not that difficult to make kind of money in nursing be honest. If my spouse was still working as a RN, she would have made ~110k/yr now (working 48 hrs/wk). The kicker is all that money with just an AS degree from a community college.
So you're telling me that my SO and I should drop out of medical school and get our RN degrees...? :D Only like 90% kidding.

• Hmm
So you're telling me that my SO and I should drop out of medical school and get our RN degrees...? :D Only like 90% kidding.
Nursing work is harder than medicine IMO, hence I left nursing to pursue medicine.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291141.htm and reminder that this "Excludes “Nurse Anesthetists” (29-1151), “Nurse Midwives” (29-1161), and “Nurse Practitioners” (29-1171)"

25% of nurses make >$90k and 10% >$111k. This is RNs we are talking about so 10% making >$111k is 290,000 people...

BLS also famously underestimates salaries, at least for physicians. Maybe more accurate for nurses though...the big problem with physicians is that they include the like 100,000 residents that make $60k/yr in the average for all physicians.

Nursing work is harder than medicine IMO, hence I left nursing to pursue medicine.
Agreed, although I have never been a nurse like you. I am too much of a wimp to be a nurse long-term. I have no shame in admitting that.

Agreed, although I have never been a nurse like you. I am too much of a wimp to be a nurse long-term. I have no shame in admitting that.
You made the right choice. Trust me!

As soon as I started working as a nurse, I was already looking into medicine because I did not see myself doing it for 30+ yrs.

I just turned down a 230-240k hospitalist job <1 hour away from Orlando, FL. I could live in an Orlando suburb and be 35 mins away from the site. I cant believe I just did that. Lol

Last edited:
You made the right choice. Trust me!

As soon as I started working as a nurse, I was already looking into medicine because I did not see myself doing it for 30+ yrs.

I just turned down a 230-240k hospitalist job <1 hour away fro Orlando, FL. I could live in an Orlando suburb and be 35 mins away from the site. I cant believe I just did that. Lol
I just finished an away in Orlando (2nd this year but lived closer in this time) and I actually kinda like Orlando a lot 😅

I just finished an away in Orlando (2nd this year but lived closer in this time) and I actually kinda like Orlando a lot 😅
What make you like it? I was there once. Not a bid fan of the attraction parks, but kids love them.

oh the food scene number 1, and number 2 was besides I-4 which is a nightmare, I found some expressways that were very smooth commutes vs when I have lived in other large Florida cities.
Did you rank programs there high?

oh the food scene number 1, and number 2 was besides I-4 which is a nightmare, I found some expressways that were very smooth commutes vs when I have lived in other large Florida cities.
Much easier commutes is something I don't think people from giant metropolises like Atlanta or Houston or LA realize they will love so much until they live in a midsized city that lets you drive in rush hour traffic without needing a cocktail of psychiatric drugs just to avoid homicidal rage or crippling anxiety. I'm being a little dramatic, but only a little

to this:

So... I was planning to just drop it because I am being misunderstood and you appear to be on too much of a high horse to hear other perspectives, but I wanted to make one more attempt to clarify my position.

First off, I agree with your initial post. It is definitely very possible to make a comfortable life with the debt. I would not be going to medical school if I didn't believe that. I also appreciate the time that you put into explaining the math. I start medical school this summer and so I am not as knowledgeable on the subject as those who have already gone through medical school and accrued that debt. The perspective I was hoping to get across, and admittedly failed to, is that of one who has had to support a family in relative poverty.

My original comment was intended to be me agreeing with your main points, but also pointing out that the system in America sucks for everyone but the Uber wealthy. We need massive reform in this country and we needed it yesterday.

Even with the debt, I dont think that many doctors realize just how well off they are in comparison to the majority of people in America.

Lastly, who hurt you? You have been incredibly harsh to anyone who disagrees with you. Surely, their experience is just as valid as your own. Its disappointing really because your original post was one of optimism and hope, but your comments have been incredibly self-righteous and hostile. Rather than engage with others perspectives, you attack them for it. Its quite toxic tbh