MEDICAL SCHOOL DEBT: Mercer vs MCG vs Morehouse vs GAPCOM vs Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouskathy98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! As I'm thinking about how to finance my medical school education, I was curious if there are any current MCG, Mercer, Emory, Morehouse, GAPCOM students willing to share the amount/range of med school debt they'll have post-grad. I've seen the numbers online from different sources, but I'd like to see if I could find more accurate data from current students. Also, I'm a current in-state Georgia resident. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Try MSAR and you can find scholarships to apply for on a school's website.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! As I'm thinking about how to finance my medical school education, I was curious if there are any current MCG, Mercer, Emory, Morehouse, GAPCOM students willing to share the amount/range of med school debt they'll have post-grad. I've seen the numbers online from different sources, but I'd like to see if I could find more accurate data from current students. Also, I'm a current in-state Georgia resident. Thanks!!
If you're not African-American, delete Morehouse from the list

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh really? I'm a POC, but not African-American so I thought I would still have a chance?

You definitely still have a chance. I know Goro is considered an expert, but Morehouse definitely does not only take Blacks. There’s always several whites per class, and even a few more Hispanic/Asian. I got an interview there as a Hispanic/ Pacific Islander from GA.

Your best bet for debt is obviously MCG, as current GAPCOM student, i think I’ll end up around 250,000, give or take a bit. I’ve taken the max amount of Grad PLUS loans the last couple years though (4th year now)

Last year Morehouse matriculated 15 Asians, 13 white and 10 Hispanic.
As there are 100 in the class, you can see that the odds of a non-Black person matriculating is quite modest. It is one of the few remaining medical schools at an HBCU, after all.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
The average indebtedness shown on MSAR is likely your best bet. I can’t imagine that breaking it down to the individual level will be very helpful for you as each student could have particular scholarships, parental help or disadvantaged loans that you may not have once you matriculate.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm white/hispanic and was accepted to Morehouse in the past. If you're not picky about your financial situation then you may as well throw them an app. Great school overall.

Every student is in a different situation. Remember medical schools are I believe the only graduate schools that include parental income in calculating EFC.

I found the best rough estimate of EFC to use an UNDERgraduate FAFSA EFC in-line calculator.

remember the advantage to taking all government loans that will meet up to full COA is that you get to participate in the federal IBR programs.

With all due respect, you really need to stick to things like online sources, MSAR, etc. While this certainly could turn out to be an interesting thread, the inherent problem is you are only going to attract a tiny sample size here, no matter how many people respond, as compared to the total population that will be captured by a service that has access to all the data. Consequently, whatever information you gather here will be nothing more than anecdotal, and it would not be wise to make long term financial decisions based on it.

As other have said, MSAR, which is published by AAMC using information provided directly by the schools, is by far the best source for information like this. Good luck!!!