Medical School Dreams (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elric123

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations all!
I have been reading your post related to medical school acceptance for about a week, and finally decided to jump in.
From the literature, one really gets the impression that medical schools are looking for pampered academics to lead our medical arsenal into the future. It would be nice to have had the opportunity to jump straight from high school into college, and to have all the basic sciences done by the end of the sophomore year. Never having to worry about earning a living, or support a family would be nice too.
"Don't work while in college.." Sure, if you don't mind your family starving!
I found your reply post to the young lady with the disability particularly encouraging. But what about the average working Jo? If I could become a minority, or produce a disability I would be all set.
I spent years (4) just trying to accomplish 2 years worth of work, at a Community College no less. All while working an average of 55 hours per week. I have been, or worked as just about everything in medicine except a physician, just to be close to that which I love. I have worked with some of the best surgeons and physicians in Houston, Texas at least, and they are pampered academics, spoiled absolutely rotten!
I have just recruited my family into supporting my final assault, at 33 y/o. I have been accepted at a private college, I have a 3.2 GPA, and I'm no where near ready for the MCAT. Next year I will work part time, and study full time.
Hell all I want to do is help people, I've seen what the average family practitioner does, I know I can do it. It's the ivy walls that scare the heck out of me.
Is this a pipe dream or what?
(Sorry so long!)
Elric

Members don't see this ad.

No it is not a pipedream at all. It will all depend on how much time you can devote to your studies while working and supporting your family. If your family is understanding and ready for the sacrifices you will all have to make, then anyone can do it. It sounds as if you have the desire to be a successful applicant, but all will rest on how well you can balance everything going on in your life. Most pre-meds worry about balancing their classes with extracurricular activities, but less are in a position as you, where there are more important real-world implications to deal with. However, there are still many like you who have been successful. As evidence, check out the demographics of students in medical school... you will find many are married and with families. I hope more people in your situation will respond to your post and offer you encouragement for what lies ahead. It takes heart, but it sounds like you have it.

Elric123
I also worked at least 40hrs per week while going through school. I didn't have a family but then I didn't have the extra income of a wife either.
I feel for your situation, but what you have to do is to buckle down and get through. Your situation will allow you to get through medical school with much less stress than the others. In fact going through medical school for me was less stressful than undergrad since I didn't have to work so much.
This is the best piece of advice I can give you. If you make bad grades no one will care if you had to work. If you do well then your in, and your work history will be an asset especially if you want to interview at Osteopahtic schools.
If you can take out loans, and your family can help you, you should be able to make it!
Good luck to you!

Kent Ray