Medical School GPA????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikejames

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does your GPA in Medical School have to be your first two years so that you can go to your 3rd and 4th year rotations? about a 2.5 or what

Members don't see this ad.

What does your GPA in Medical School have to be your first two years so that you can go to your 3rd and 4th year rotations? about a 2.5 or what

hahahahahhahaha.

ahahhahahhahah.

ha.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: didnt somone just make a post of why pre-meds ask so many stupid questions? :laugh: :smuggrin: :laugh:

Harsh crowd. Most schools are pass/fail for the first two years. So you just have to pass. If you do have grades, I'm sure you just have to do reasonable to get on to third year. It's not like there is a cutoff, it's more like, if you're slacking off, you might need to have a little chat with the dean. You have to try pretty hard to fail med school once you're in there.

I think for all schools, you have to maintain a "satisfactory GPA." I think this varies from school to school. The school I'm going to next year says you have to maintain a 2.8. Most schools have student handbooks online that mention these issues. Check it out.

My school has us maintain a cumulative weighted 75 average to pass each year, with no individual course grade being below 70. Additionally, one must show proficiency in each block of subject material, meaning no individual test score can be below 50% or you have to retest. At the end of almost every subject comes national shelf exams that count as our finals, and these have to be passed regardless of the overall course grade or you have to retake the shelf. Fail twice = fail course and repeat over the summer. Fail two courses and repeat the year. Step I passage is required to move into the clinical years. Believe me when I tell you though that all these minimums are harder to exceed than maintaining a 2.5 in undergrad.

Actually yeah, my school requires that you have a semester GPA of 2.5 to progress to the next semester without being put on probation. If, while your on probation, you make below a 2.5 for that semester, you go in front of a review board and they decide whether or not to let you continue.

Also, you have to have an overall GPA of 2.5 and pass Step 1 to progress to year 3.

FYI: we operate on an A/A-/B+/B/B-/C+/C/C-/D/F system