Medical School Greed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kashue

No longer a USMLE JUNKIE!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it me or even after you get accepted to medical school, you still want more more! It's like getting in isn't good enough, you want to get into the best medical school you can.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Kashue
Is it me or even after you get accepted to medical school, you still want more more! It's like getting in isn't good enough, you want to get into the best medical school you can.

Ain't that the truth! I'm pretty happy with my acceptances at this point but am still curious to see what the remaining decisions I'm waiting on will be. I remember when I got my first acceptance I was so happy I was going to be a doctor but then I started thinking "but what if I get into x school?" Greed is a long, dark rabbit hole

I havent gotten an acceptance yet, but I would agree, it's the competetive sprit. In my case, I'm a bit disappointed when I get rejection letters from schools that I rejected first by not completeing the 2nd.

Congrat's by the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SachinG
Greed is a long, dark rabbit hole

I hear you on this one. Although I've already gotten in, I can't help but feel a little peeved over my rejections.

yea...we're becoming like little leprechauns, hoarding our pots of gold...we need to start sharing the pot.

Originally posted by finnpipette
we need to start sharing the pot.

This is the SDN quote of the day. Open to a fair amount of interpretation! :)

This is true. I can see some of it in myself as well, even though I try to stay as grounded as possible. I've got a feeling that 10 years down the road, when we're all physicians, our patients aren't going to give a flying fark where we went to school and what our accomplishments were. It won't matter much in the operating room. I doubt your colleagues will care either. How many times have you asked a physician where he/she was trained? I never have. In the end, we just need to be damn good physicians.

Seriously, I thought I didn't care but with each passing day I grow more greedy. Orginally it was just "any CA or NYC" school but now things have changed! This is the nature of the process though. Its unavoidable.

As Cheesy as this sounds, I find that it helps me when I consider what a privilege it is to go to med school...I was an arrogant prick applying to undergrad, but I choked in undergrad, have been humbled, and was crapping bricks until I got my first med school acceptance. I'm still grounded in that I know my place...but...if you were a superstar in undergrad...well...rock on.

I have to agree. For my case, I am just upset I didn't apply to more top 25 schools and instead focused on lower tier schools. My pre-med advisor did a good job of humbling me by recommending I apply to Drexel, NYMC, Albany and other lower tier med schools. I thought I'd be happy just going to RWJ. Now that I am further along the process and know that my credentials are far better than I thought, I am a bit peeved at my pre-med advisor.

I agree the greed is never over. Even if you get into the best school you applied too, you'll probably start to think about getting merit-based scholarships, etc.

This is 10 yrs old, I just stumbled upon this...some topics never get old

I know the feeling, actually, as an undergrad I was so into my subject but during masters it was all about getting a decent phd and you know you can always want more when it comes to postgrad placement. But then again whats the point, the work you do should be the point.

Once you get stuck in this hole, it never ends. First it's the best medical school, then the best residency, then that prestigious fellowship, then that amazing job placement, then bringing in the biggest money/grants/papers, and on and on. For some unfortunate people, the next level transfers to their children, and it's about having their kids get the best test scores, getting their kids the most impressive extracurriculars and instruments and sports, getting their kids into the most prestigious schools, taking the most frequent and exotic family vacations, and on and on.

It'll eat you up, and at some point you have to say enough is enough. I'm happy with what I've done and what I'm doing, and it's time to stop comparing my accomplishments to my peers even if that's how I got here in the first place. Some people figure it out fast and are happy with their lives, some figure it out later than others, and sometimes people never figure it out. I pray that the constant hunt alone can sustain them.

Reactions: 4 users