Medical School in Aus- Canadian with potential New Zealand PR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vancouverrun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian looking into applying to medical school in Australia next year (for 2018 cohort).

I am able to attain New Zealand PR through my partner which would allow me to pay domestic fees at an Australian University.

Considering the fees are quite inflated in Australia for International students, I would benefit by having domestic status but I believe applying as a domestic decrease my chances of getting in? (That is what I was told through a third party association for Canadians)

Has anyone done this before? Can you apply as International and switch to domestic once you attain PR? Or would that take your spot away.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Canadian looking into applying to medical school in Australia next year (for 2018 cohort).

I am able to attain New Zealand PR through my partner which would allow me to pay domestic fees at an Australian University.

Considering the fees are quite inflated in Australia for International students, I would benefit by having domestic status but I believe applying as a domestic decrease my chances of getting in? (That is what I was told through a third party association for Canadians)

Has anyone done this before? Can you apply as International and switch to domestic once you attain PR? Or would that take your spot away.

This is school specific. Look up the school's policies or contact them. I know Melbourne, USyd, Queensland are fine with you changing your visa status during the program. Some schools like Wollongong will take your spot away.
Also, once you get your PR, i believe most schools will put you in full fee paying spots (not domestic). Full fee paying spots makes you pay a bit less than international students. I.e. it's not like you'll be paying 70k/year and then 9k/year all of a sudden.

Hope that helps !