1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Medical school in england?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by dvdrv31, Dec 6, 2001.

1. dvdrv31

dvdrv31 Member
    7+ Year Member

i have a distant friend that went to a medical school in england after not getting into any US schools. she did her 3rd and 4th years in US hospitals and just got an internship at cooke county hospital.

does anyone have any info on medical schools in england?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sita

Sita Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi dvdrv31 do you have any specific questions regarding medical schools in the UK? I'll try my best to answer them. :)

4. dvdrv31

dvdrv31 Member
    7+ Year Member

hey,

are there any schools in particular that US students might go to and do clinical rotations back in the US? maybe like the caribbean schools? and what are there requirements and difficulty of getting in? thanks a lot.

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Most US schools will allow you to come and do visiting electives during 4th (final) year. Doing 3rd year Core rotations is another matter - these generally have to be formalized school to school.

Some schools do have restrictions (ie, must be at LCME school, no IMGs, must have passed Step 1, have faculty sponsor, etc.) but I found no shortage of schools offering visiting electives. I'm sure you will have the same experience. Simple matter of looking at web sites or contacting schools you are interested in and asking about visiting rotations; most have applications on-line or will mail them to you for processing.

Hope this helps.

6. Russ Cowles

Russ Cowles Junior Member

As a student at a Caribbean medical school, I have to tell you that getting electives and cores in the states is not that easy. I finished basic sciences in the top 5% of my class, scored 230+ on USMLE step 1 and cant get a spot in the US for my third year. On top of that, I can hardly find any hospitals that will take me for 4th year either. They turn their heads away when they hear "FMG" or "Caribbean". I do, however, have nearly all my electives ironed out at a few different US schools. It was not an easy ordeal. If clinical rotations in the US are a priority for you, DO NOT go to a foreign school. Wait it out and get into a US school.

7. dvdrv31

dvdrv31 Member
    7+ Year Member

8. The Pill Counter

The Pill Counter Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi, this post is directed to Kim Cox or other Aussie grads: How many rotations (elective or core) did you guys do in the States, and how many would you recommend without disrupting the overall program flow?