Medical School in England?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djzabr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone's ever heard of an American going to England for medical school. Is it possible with the differences in our education systems?

I honestly have no clue about any of this, so any information would be great!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's harder for an American to get into an English med school than for an American to get into an American med school. They have a few spots for foreigners, but mostly fill those spots with students from underserved countries (Africa, etc.) I believe. Unless you are an amazing candidate (4.0, extremely unique ECs) I wouldn't bother. You can go to Ireland, of course, which is much more common. And ****ing expensive.

In England, they begin medical school at the age of 18 (or one's freshman year). For foreigners or someone with a bachelor already, they would have to apply for the "graduate entrance program". It usually lasts for 5 years, where the first year is spent reviewing the basic pre-requisites.

Most schools now also ask for the UKCAT, which is also a computer based test that is logic-based/verbal-based.

Although they do accept foreign students, the places alloted are few. Priority goes to people with EU passports as well.

But, I mean, it's worth a shot. (you might want to check out hte tuition first though...phew...it's def. expensive)