Medical school in PUERTO RICO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pursuing MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Puerto Rican medical schools are AMCAS credited, but do they teach their classes in Spanish or English? Are they competitive medical schools to geu into?

Members don't see this ad.

They are REALLY competetive. Everybody with GPA lower than 3.7 and MCAT scores of 36 will not get in.

Thanks for that info...but do they teach their classes in Spanish or English?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to Ponce and U del Caribe (from what I've heard, Universidad de PR doesn't accept out of staters). Whether or not the lectures are conducted in Spanish or English depends on what the professor wants to do. From what I've heard and read, about 60% of the classes are in taught in Spanish and 90% of clinical work is in Spanish. So, fluency in Spanish is more than likely a must.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]:
•They are REALLY competetive. Everybody with GPA lower than 3.7 and MCAT scores of 36 will not get in.•••••Just in case Spiderman was serious, puerto rican med schools have low averages.

My understanding is that fluency in Spanish is an absolute must, just like fluency in English is a must in the continental United States.

Resident Alien, I believe he was very serious about those stats. The reason why puerto rican schools have low stats is because of many of the puerto rican residents that end up going to the school. They do not do as well on the MCAT and GPA. However, they do take very qualified out of state applicants, but the majority of students "son puertorriquenos" (spelling?) Therefore, very high stats are a necessity to be looked at by admissions offices.

I agree with npdoc but this really applies to the University of Puerto Rico. If you're not a native islander, it's most likely worthless to apply there. I promptly received a rejection due to being out of state. But if you have any PR connections (and definitely know Spanish), then Ponce and Central del Caribe may be possible.

btw, I was told by Ponce that no one had ever matriculated with a 30 MCAT...understandable I guess when you consider that verbal is hard enough with English as a first language!

You can definitely get accepted to Ponce and Caribe without spectacular scores. Although they do help, I would say that with an MCAT over 27 or 28 you have a good chance of being accepted. Get over a thirty and call it a guarantee. As for being fluent in Spanish I would say it isn't necessary but you must have at least a good conversational level to get by. That said there are students here who barely speak and end up doing fine. Remeber all the tests, quizzes, laboratories etc are 100% in English as are all class notes and handouts so the Spanish is mostly just to talk to people. My buddy here at Ponce can only get by in Spanish and he is 1 of the top students.

Being an American here I have been very happy with the school and encourage others to apply, you won't be disappointed.

P.S. I got a 37 on the MCAT so that earlier post about the 30 being the highest ever is BS.

Regards,
Adam

I've talked to the admissions office at both Ponce and Caribe about ave GPA and MCAT. They told me at Caribe that ave MCAT was 24-25, GPA 3.2. Ponce told me MCAT 26, GPA 3.3. So, be assured that Spiderman was pulling your chains.

Hey Jmanwaring,
Are you applying to Ponce this year?

If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them.

Good luck,
Adam

Hey guys,

Does anybody know what's going on with Ponce. My application was complete before Christmas break, but I haven't heard anything from them. It's starting to look very dim for me.

I was placed on their waiting list last year b/c turned in the app later than normal (late Dec.). I was still interviwed in March and was put in #9 on their wait list until it all fell apart.......I have been in contact with Gladys for the past few months and she keeps telling me that the "committee is still reviewing the files". Well guess we're still waiting. I submitted in my app. back in July and I still have not heard anything. Btw, they informed me that Spanish is a MUST to get in, and that you need at least an "A" or a "B" in an upper-division Spanish course to even be considered, although fluency in the language is not necesarry from the looks of the past several posts. Anyway, good luck.

Read my reponse near the top of this page to a question about UCC. I covered all three AAMC accredited medical schools. There is a fourth (but non-US) medical school on the island, it is accredited only by PR and licensure and practice is limited to PR.

Most students in all medical schools (100% in UPR) are PR residents; a working knowledge of spoken and written Spanish are requirements for admission to all three.

Correction: NOT the top of this page, but the top of today's questions.

thank a lot ispic. I really appreciate your advice. I guess I'll have to play the waiting game. Right about now, I'm getting so good at it. Thanks.

Hi there!
I just received an interview to Ponce Medical school.
However, I am still not quite sure if I should go to the interview. First of all, I was not able to take one spanish class because of a schedule conflict and I don't know if they will let me take it in the first summer session. I have been accepted to a DO school and waitlisted at another and was very happy with those schools. I don't have anything to lose by going to Puerto Rico (except some $$) but can you guys tell me the good and the bad about Ponce?
What would you do?
Thanks!!
Good luck!
Albah

I didnt know so many students from the USA were interested in studying in PR.

The classes at Ponce are all given in spanish, but the handouts (99% of them) are in english, books are the same use in USA schools and test are in english. Its a very good school. I have had a very good experience there.

I called Ponce today and spoke to Gladys. She told me that my application was complete. She said something really weird after that. She asked if I was able to go to PR? But at that point I wasn't even invited to interview. She then said that she would tell the adcom that I was available to go to PR. the whole conversation was weird. Does anyone know how they pick their interviewees?

Does anyone know if the interviews are in Span. or English at Universidad Central del Caribe?

fitchpath, I would assume that they are in Spanish, since classroom instruction will be in that language. The class I attended last year in UCC was being held in Spanish.

Albah, Ponce DOES accept it if you take your Spanish classes in the summer, that's what I did last year and it worked out for me, just be sure that you have the 6 units completed by the end of the FIRST summer session, since orientation starts in July. I know it may sound difficult, taking 2 upper division Spanish classes at the same time, but it something you have to do. As far as the DO vs. MD descision, that is something up to personal preference and where you end up practicing (from personal experience and what I've been told), however, I really enyoyed the atmosphere in Ponce, the town is really cool and it is not as busy as the San Juan metro area. The level of instruction appeared on par with the other mainland schools that I have interviewed at , and contrary to some opinions, you can enter whatever field you want to from Ponce. I know an ortho. resident in Ohio that came from Ponce, and there is always the option to transfer to the mainland after the first two years. The students are nice and there is a general atmosphere of cooperation between them. Adamant might be able to explain more about life in Ponce and how the classes are run since he is there right now.

Tristan, no idea how they pick the interviewees, but last year I was interviewed in March and they informed me basically the same stuff that is in the MSAR. They do prefer their students to have ties to the island though, but I know of students that have been accepted that don't.

Good luck guys!