Medical school in Puerto Rico???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dph201

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would any of you consider med school in PR? If so why and which school?

Members don't see this ad.

unless you speak fluent spanish i think it would be a poor idea. you also stand low chance of admission unless a PR resident to most of the schools (though I think one of them has more outsiders but I can't remember which off the top of my head). Consider also the level of the clinical exposure you would get there.

There are 3 LCME accredited med scools in PR.The best and most well known is the Univ of PR,which rarely takes non residents.Ponce and Centre de Caribe do accept a good number of mainland US applicants.Some ability to communicate in Spanish is required.Lectures are in both spanish and english I have heard,but some students are there who are not completely fluent in Spanish.These schools are good option.They are considered fully accredited on an equal basis as US schools.

Hi,

I will be going there this fall and there are a couple of threads dealing w/ going to Ponce for med school. It is a good option as far as admission criteria goes, since it would be very favorable for someone that did the undergrad on the mainland - on the average, better MCAT scores. But be sure to have some strong ties to the island and apply early (june). The class is small (60) and they only take a few mainlanders every year. During my interview there and I was fairly impressed with their facilities (I interviewed at other mainland schools and can reasonably compare study areas/classrooms/etc...). The campus is nice, and the town (Ponce) is great. Let me know if you have anu questions or look for the other threads about Ponce. The students that already down there are real nice and informative. Take care