Medical School in Taiwan... Practice in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomscy2000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this, but I am considering going to Taiwan to study medical school (for a number of reasons, my dad is working there, and my mother will be accompanying him soon; plus I went to a top tier, difficult undergraduate school here, so my grades are screwed up --- well, partly because of myself as well; thus, I'd have to take Post-Bacc, SMP, etc. to restrengthen, which would take as many years as if I started undergrad over in Taiwan and went through medical school there).

I know this has been discussed before in some other threads but none of them were conclusive; I was wondering how difficult it would be to return to the US after medical school in Taiwan to do residency or even practice.

For residency, I know that hospitals are loath to bring on any MD that is not from an AMCAS/AACOM school or WHO certification, but I have heard of instances where it has happened, although they end up getting the less coveted residency places. Does anyone know why this is, because most medical schools teach the same things in terms of physiology, diagnosis, etc. how the medicine is practiced, is largely incumbent upon resident training. For purely foreign doctors, there would be an issue with cultural habits, language, etc. amongst other intangibles that would make them a less than ideal candidate for practice here in the United States, but if you were brought up in the US under US education, I wonder if they would be more willing to give some leeway? It would probably involve taking some medical school courses over. I also saw that California (where I would probably live if I come back) had a list of approved schools from Taiwan. I'm sure there probably would be a host of remedial classes for a Taiwan-licensed MD to take; what would the process be like?

This is like a million and a half questions rolled together, but I just hoped some of you could weigh-in on any insightful information. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The numbers are out there. 50% of foreign-born and US born FMG's fail to match into any residency. A fairly low percentage even manage to pass the USMLE's to be eligible to apply for residency. Most of the ones who do get into residency here go into primary care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taiwan is mostly on the 6/7-year combined undergrad/med program. I'm not sure if that means you would have to repeat the undergrad curriculum, or if you could enter straight into the med curriculum.

My uncle teaches at Kaohsiong Medical School, which is one of the few that is a four year program after college, like the US system. They do accept foreign students, and I'm sure it's fine if you have dual citizenship too.

You will be at a distinct advantage in class with your English abilities. The books the same we use here (in English), and I believe the lectures are as well. (Though be prepared for some Chinglish.) However, you will be at a disadvantage in terms of peer/patients/professor interaction if your Chinese isn't at a native-speaker level.

I've visited the campus and hospital, and would say it's at a very good level. Some brand new facilities, surgery simulators, clinical competence centers, etc.

Good luck!

The numbers are out there. 50% of foreign-born and US born FMG's fail to match into any residency. A fairly low percentage even manage to pass the USMLE's to be eligible to apply for residency. Most of the ones who do get into residency here go into primary care.

I never understood why your field (medicine) allows IMGs to get a residency in the US.

For us (dentistry), international graduates are FORCED to retake dental school before they get licensure.

Note: i'm only on your forum's b/c I'm trying to help out my sister who applying to poland med school.

I never understood why your field (medicine) allows IMGs to get a residency in the US.

For us (dentistry), international graduates are FORCED to retake dental school before they get licensure.

Note: i'm only on your forum's b/c I'm trying to help out my sister who applying to poland med school.

SO basically, what I'm getting from these numbers are:

there is no way a IMG can get on the R.O.A.D.

Only if you graduate from National Taiwan University. :)

heh, IMO it'd be easier to get into a mid-tier U.S. allopathic school then getting into there.

Thanks for those stats... I'll keep them in mind. Do you guys think contacting the ECFMG (Educational Committee for Foreign Medical Graduates, off the AMCAS website) would help?

Taiwan is mostly on the 6/7-year combined undergrad/med program. I'm not sure if that means you would have to repeat the undergrad curriculum, or if you could enter straight into the med curriculum.

My uncle teaches at Kaohsiong Medical School, which is one of the few that is a four year program after college, like the US system. They do accept foreign students, and I'm sure it's fine if you have dual citizenship too.

You will be at a distinct advantage in class with your English abilities. The books the same we use here (in English), and I believe the lectures are as well. (Though be prepared for some Chinglish.) However, you will be at a disadvantage in terms of peer/patients/professor interaction if your Chinese isn't at a native-speaker level.

I've visited the campus and hospital, and would say it's at a very good level. Some brand new facilities, surgery simulators, clinical competence centers, etc.

Good luck!

Yeah, the Kaoshiung program actually requires ROC citizenship which I don't have, since I wasn't born there, so I have to go through the overseas program, which actually puts me at an advantage b/c they only look at my HS grades, which statistically are stellar compared to what they are now. I'm crossing my fingers for NTU. People have said that with my app, there is a good chance, but you never know, since the application process is so much more inflexible than it is here for anything. I'm looking into transferring some college credit to get rid of some UG requirements going in so I can have some time to work on the language. I'm agree that my biggest hurdle is going to be the language, although I do speak fluently (most people can't tell the difference, accent and usage-wise), I'm not confident in writing exposees and the like, but I'm rapidly trying to absorb writing and reading as fast as I can.

So I've been doing some digging, sorry if this might look noobish to all you senior members out there, but I thought it'd be good up front info for any people like me.... it looks like any FMG has to get ECFMG certification in order to even take the USMLE Step 3... So any FMG has to take the USMLE 1&2(CK+CS)

Hi! I know you posted this awhile back, but I'm actually facing the same problems now.
I was wondering what your decision was and how you are liking it?
I actually got into National Taiwan University as a med student and also Rice University.
What do you think would be the better decision?

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this, but I am considering going to Taiwan to study medical school (for a number of reasons, my dad is working there, and my mother will be accompanying him soon; plus I went to a top tier, difficult undergraduate school here, so my grades are screwed up --- well, partly because of myself as well; thus, I'd have to take Post-Bacc, SMP, etc. to restrengthen, which would take as many years as if I started undergrad over in Taiwan and went through medical school there).

I know this has been discussed before in some other threads but none of them were conclusive; I was wondering how difficult it would be to return to the US after medical school in Taiwan to do residency or even practice.

For residency, I know that hospitals are loath to bring on any MD that is not from an AMCAS/AACOM school or WHO certification, but I have heard of instances where it has happened, although they end up getting the less coveted residency places. Does anyone know why this is, because most medical schools teach the same things in terms of physiology, diagnosis, etc. how the medicine is practiced, is largely incumbent upon resident training. For purely foreign doctors, there would be an issue with cultural habits, language, etc. amongst other intangibles that would make them a less than ideal candidate for practice here in the United States, but if you were brought up in the US under US education, I wonder if they would be more willing to give some leeway? It would probably involve taking some medical school courses over. I also saw that California (where I would probably live if I come back) had a list of approved schools from Taiwan. I'm sure there probably would be a host of remedial classes for a Taiwan-licensed MD to take; what would the process be like?

This is like a million and a half questions rolled together, but I just hoped some of you could weigh-in on any insightful information. Thanks.
Hi! I know you posted this awhile back, but I'm actually facing the same problems now.
I got into National Taiwan University as a med student and also Rice University.
I'm wondering what your decision was and how you are liking it now?
What should I do?

I was wondering what your decision was and how you are liking it?
I actually got into National Taiwan University as a med student and also Rice University.
What do you think would be the better decision?

I assume you got into Rice as an undergrad--why is this a question?? You'd be a fool if you didn't go to Rice.

I got into National Taiwan University as a med student and also Rice University.
I'm wondering what your decision was and how you are liking it now?
What should I do?

Go to Rice. Trust me, you'll love it.

I assume you got into Rice as an undergrad--why is this a question?? You'd be a fool if you didn't go to Rice.

Haha- well National Taiwan University is like the best medical school in Taiwan and it's really hard to get in. Tuition is cheap (plus, they gave me scholarship) and I don't have to take the MCAT..it's a direct 7 year program..and then I was thinking about coming back here for residency..*sigh* But yeah, I love Rice too

Haha- well National Taiwan University is like the best medical school in Taiwan and it's really hard to get in. Tuition is cheap (plus, they gave me scholarship) and I don't have to take the MCAT..it's a direct 7 year program..and then I was thinking about coming back here for residency..*sigh* But yeah, I love Rice too

Go to the best med school in Taiwan if you want to practice there. If you want to practice in the US, stay in the US. Period.

OP---if the program in Taiwan is indeed a 7 year program--I would choose to spend the extra year (4 years UG + 4 year Med) in the US.

Rice is a great uni and will offer you some life enriching experiences. If your goal is to practice in the US--stay in the US. Many of my friends would have loved to have gone to Rice and to see you pass up the opportunity is :(:(

Best of Luck.