Medical School in the Big City, Vol. II: A Month in the Morgue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

“So, I grabbed up my suitcase, and took off down the road, When I got there she was layin' on a coolin' board”
– Son House, Death Letter Blues

Fourth year of medical school is great. Finally, I get some elective time. Last month was great: Dermatology, ahh…….Sleep, rest, low stress and drug rep lunches: Yum. I can still smell the delicious smoked ribs the rep brought for lunch, just last week. I’m already hungry as I drive to start my second elective month in a row. This month is going to be even more relaxed. The patients might have >gasp!< pimples and rashes like last month, but this time they probably won’t even move! After getting worked to death on 6 straight months with hospital call, this is the break I need.

I walk into the building and as I get close to the bottom of the stairs, I smell something. Is that ribs, again? Wow, drug rep food already? It’s only 9 in the morning. That’s weird? Oh, well. I guess life really is good on these elective months, when you’re not getting called at 2 a.m. for a patient who might be dying. I look at the clock. Shoot, I’m a few minutes late. I open the door.

A group of students and residents are standing around a table that is covered by a sheet. The smell of barbequed ribs hits my nose stronger. A bearded man on the other side of the table, waves to me to come over. That must be Dr. Black. I creep toward the others around the table as Dr. Black pulls the sheet off of the table. The overwhelming smell of smoke chokes my nose and as I see what is lurking under the sheet, I feel my stomach drop and my head get dizzy. There laying on the table is a.......(read more)
http://drwhitecoat.com/medical-school-in-the-big-city-vol-ii-a-month-in-the-morgue/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Love the prose, as always. Thanks for sharing!

Love the prose, as always. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the kind words. I have no idea what possesses me to put fingers to keyboard and actually write this stuff, but thanks for reading, for the comments, and for you guys who clicked "like," too.

(PS-Don't forget to click on one of the "share" buttons at the bottom.)

Last edited: