Medical School is making me depressed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latissimusdorsi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else experience symptoms of sadness/depression when starting medical school? Maybe i havent found my niche yet but omg this is terrible. Studying for 6 hours every day AFTER 8 hours of class, and studying the entire weekend. There is no one to even grab dinner is because everyone is so busy studying. I dont know if i can go through 4 years like this. A significant other in the class would probably be the only thing to make this istuation better, but i dont see that happening either. Anyone go thtrough a similar siutation?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll go through ups and downs and thats completely normal. There were times last year when I felt horrible.. no girls, lame friends etc.. but eventually it turned around. It especially sucked at the beginning of the year being in a new city not knowing anyone and also in the mid winter. Trust me it will get better as you get to know your classmates more and people realize they don't need to grind all day everyday to pass. On the other hand if it doesn't get better you may def wanna look into seeing a professional. Good luck :thumbup:

I agree with Doxycycline - there is definitely an adjustment period when starting first year. If it becomes a chronic issue I have four words for you - Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. Gotta love better living through pharm. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else experience symptoms of sadness/depression when starting medical school? Maybe i havent found my niche yet but omg this is terrible. Studying for 6 hours every day AFTER 8 hours of class, and studying the entire weekend. There is no one to even grab dinner is because everyone is so busy studying. I dont know if i can go through 4 years like this. A significant other in the class would probably be the only thing to make this istuation better, but i dont see that happening either. Anyone go thtrough a similar siutation?

A few things...you are adjusting to a new environment, new level of education, etc. Its not going to be easy in the beginning.

Study for 6 hours every day AFTER 8 hours of class can be solved by not going to 8 hours of class. I was a class goer in college, never missed a lecture. Things are different in med school - going to class just isn't a good use of time. Often times you can read significantly faster than you would be able to go through it in lecture. So, instead of studying for 6 hrs after going to lecture for 8, just study for 8 hours and enjoy the rest of your day.

This isn't going to last for four years. For one, you are going to get better at studying. Secondly, only the first two years of medical school are filled with lecture all day. The 3rd year you are in the hospital all the time. You arent going to be sitting in lecture very often, and if it is its going to be a lunch time lecture, which is a nice break from the wards. Significantly less time will be spent 3rd year reading on your ass. You are going to workign with colleagues, seeing patients, etc. All of this makes 3rd year 10 billino times better than the first two years. And the 4th year....well thats basially a year of vacation.

Certain schools, such as mine, have free psychological services for those in need of it. You may just need better/cooler friends, or you may need counseling.

6 hours everyday seems... a lot? 8 hours of class also seems a lot, unless most of that 8 hours involves dissecting.

You are adjusting. It takes about a semester to really settle in. 1st semester is a trying time because you have to make an effort to not only learn how to study well, but to make some friends. What you're feeling is very common among new medical students.

I can somewhat relate. Probably because I'm not sleeping as well. But I want to start strong so I'm really hitting the books. Last night 2am rolled around and I just didn't want to stop studying. This has been happening all week and my sleep cycle is no totally ****ed up.

Anyways, I find that I'm happiest when I'm chasing tail so today I'm going to see if I can pick up some mall tang. It isn't about the outcome. It's about the chase.

Alternately, since you recently posted about the difficulty of medical school perhaps your issue may be more stress related. Have you considered reading the various books available on the subject of medical school studying/success?

I can somewhat relate. Probably because I'm not sleeping as well. But I want to start strong so I'm really hitting the books. Last night 2am rolled around and I just didn't want to stop studying. This has been happening all week and my sleep cycle is no totally ****ed up.

Anyways, I find that I'm happiest when I'm chasing tail so today I'm going to see if I can pick up some mall tang. It isn't about the outcome. It's about the chase.

Alternately, since you recently posted about the difficulty of medical school perhaps your issue may be more stress related. Have you considered reading the various books available on the subject of medical school studying/success?

:laugh:

1. Don't go to lectures

2. You are lucky that you don't get to do all the "problem-based learning" bullsh*t

lol stop going to 8 hours of lecture you loon

Everyone goes threw this first year, the key to getting through med school if having something you can go to for relief, for most people like my self that is going to the gym. Its a great stress reliever, and you don't have to think about school for 1-2 hours, and you get to workup a sweat and get your heart rate up. Feels good man

They take attendance in lecture :(

Isn't this somehow illegal? I thought there was a law somewhere that said students' attendance couldn't be mandatory in college/grad school since they're the one's paying yada yada....

Quick question you guys: Do you find that after 1st semester M1 you find yourself studying for less time because you've learned to study med school material more efficiently?

I'm hoping that's the case, because I too am going to class for about 6-8 hours, to then come home to study for another 6 hours.

Is this at a US MD school? I can't believe there are actually schools that take attendance for lectures - that's a huge slap in the face to their students. Anyone know how common this type of policy is? I understand mandatory attendance at PBL sessions and other group activities, but for lecture? Wow.

Does it count for anything important?

I've seen a few people talk about how they'd go to their mandatory lectures, sit in the back, put in earbuds, and do their own thing while the lecture is going on. If I had to go to lecture during M1/M2, I'd have done that.

@Postal: yes.

@CityLights: I don't think it's too common at US allo schools. I'm at one, and >95% of our lectures were optional.

Step 1 was the ****tiest part of med school thus far. Early M1 was a close rival. Just gotta hang in there... it gets better.

Quick question you guys: Do you find that after 1st semester M1 you find yourself studying for less time because you've learned to study med school material more efficiently?

I'm hoping that's the case, because I too am going to class for about 6-8 hours, to then come home to study for another 6 hours.

No, not really. Unfortunately, as you become more and more effiicent, they give you more and more things to learn. Stop going to class.

I got MUCH more efficient as the year went on, I did better with less time/effort because I knew how to figure out what was important and what worked best for me. It takes a few months to get into the groove and find out what works for you.

Also- it gets better. The beginning of med school is hard, there's a lot going on, you don't know people very well, you're adjusting to a whole new life- I remember feeling this way for several months, but by the end of the year life was awesome, I knew how to do well in class and I had some cool friends and let myself go out and have some fun.

So, try to stay cool and be patient, don't take things TOO seriously, it all works out. For real.

Our class is really busy and I generally study about 4-6 hours a day (except yesterday I slacked off a little and studied 2), but my class still manages to find time to hang out every few days... even if its just for a quick dinner or an hour or two of ultimate frisbee.

Even when people are studying they have to eat at some point... even if it means walking to the hospital (if your school is in the hospital) and grabbing dinner.

Have you found a group of people that you feel like you can connect with? I think this is a huge key to making yourself happy. Medical school is hard, but I think it'd be way harder if you try to go it alone.

If you haven't met many people yet, maybe you can join an interest group. Plus some clubs will provide you with a free lunch if you just come to their introductory meeting.

Anyway, best of luck. Things usually get better with time....

It can be pretty miserable to begin, especially if you hadn't been in school for a while.

I think part of the transition is that when you first apply to medical school you have the anticipation of being a doctor; that's what all of your interviews are about and your essays, but when you actually start you sit in a lecture hall for two years. Not a fun place.