Medical school list/areas of improvement

arngh16

Aug 11, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello all!

Just looking for suggestions as to where I should apply or areas where I should improve as well as my chances at an MD program.

Undergraduate: Economics, Statistics minor - 3.0 cGPA
    Post bacc GPA: 3.7
    Total overall GPA: 3.17 and sGPA: 3.25

GU SMP GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 518

Scribing: 1500 hrs in ED

Volunteering: 250 nonclinical hrs in a special rec association, 200 clinical hours in a hospital

Research: 1 year in a genetics lab - no publications/posters but did complete an individual project. I did get a LOR in the past from here which helped with SMP admissions but not sure if I would want this included in medical school applications as I am not sure of how the letter was - I am sure it was good as it helped me not sure if it was great. I would want thoughts on this.

Shadowing: 50 hrs

There are other extracurriculars that I would add to my application, non-medical-related, but I have only included the main points above.

I am an Illinois resident and Indian.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Gold Member
    Oct 14, 2011
    1. Academic Administration
      How much networking have you done with admissions recruiters for your in-state programs about your postbac/SMP GPA to know how your file will be screened. Knowing what your community service activities have been will help.

arngh16

Aug 11, 2019
      1. Pre-Medical
        How much networking have you done with admissions recruiters for your in-state programs about your postbac/SMP GPA to know how your file will be screened. Knowing what your community service activities have been will help.
        Honestly, not much yet. I won't be applying till the next summer though so I will definitely do this - do you suggest I reach out via email for a phone call?

And I volunteered at a summer camp that is a part of a special rec association - this included helping with activities, feedings, swimming lessons, etc so it was hands-on. My clinical hours were volunteering at an aphasia center that is a part of a rehabilitation hospital so similarly, helping with lesson plans/speech exercises.

Thanks!

About the Ads
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.