Medical School or just give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsasecret

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm trying to make the decision of whether or not to give up on medical school. I have gone through a lot in college and won't bore you with details but basically I have a horrible, inconsistant academic record riddled with incompletes (all of which I completed and received grades for but the incompletes will never disappear my transcript), two F's, two D's, some C's and then A's and B's. I took five years to graduate due to the fact that I retook a bunch of classes (I got my degree this year in biology from a prestigious, notoriously difficult university). My science GPA for D.O. is a 3.43, nonscience 2.81, and overall 2.92. I have not taken the MCAT yet, and am deciding whether or not I even should. I don't want to waste another year of my life working my ***** off trying to make up for ****ty grades. I have a lot of extra curriculars such as research, volunteering abroad, leadership positions in health centers, shadowing doctors, etc. Do I have what it takes to get into D.O. school? I am willing to go abroad ANYWHERE for med school, does anyone know where I have a feasible chance of getting into? I just really don't want to continue killing myself studying if it is hopeless for me. Your honest opinion is really really really appreciated! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well with your scores, it is too late to apply this season, so getting ready for next season, I would take the mcat and retake a couple nonscience classes to get your cgpa above 3.0. Depending on how you do on the mcat, if you apply way early, you could get an acceptance. No saying you will, but you could.

It looks to me like you may almost be where you need to be to make taking the MCAT worthwhile.

What has your GPA been for each of the last 4 semesters? Have you taken any upper-level Bio, what was it, and what grades were earned? How many more retakes would it take to get your CGPA over 3.0?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think DO school is realistic for you depending on what your MCAT score is.

What is the year by year breakdown of your GPA? Upward trend would be nice. It comes with the built in explanation of overcoming immaturity.

Just retake some of your courses..take a few additional upper level science courses.. get >28 on MCAT.

If you give it 100% you will go to medical school. GL.

It looks to me like you may almost be where you need to be to make taking the MCAT worthwhile.

What has your GPA been for each of the last 4 semesters? Have you taken any upper-level Bio, what was it, and what grades were earned? How many more retakes would it take to get your CGPA over 3.0?
I've taken many upper division science courses. I have taken biochemistry, human genetics, evolution, anatomy+lab, physiology+lab, human reproduction, animal behavior/endocrinology and the lowest grade I've received mostly B's, couple A's, B-'s.

As for my GPA for the last four semesters, I've taken summer school every summer so do those count as semesters? I'm always unsure of how to answer this question because of all the incompletes i received (does my grade get counted in the semester I originally took the course or does it get counted in the semester I "completed" the course?) Anyways, I don't have a very strong upward trend in GPA except perhaps between freshman year and the rest of my college years. (i did horrible freshman year- as in like 1.0 gpa).

I just did the math and if I retake one science course (second semester physics) I will have a 3.02 cumulative GPA for D.O. schools.

Thanks so much! I hope you can give me some more helpful advice now that you have more information :) :)

and thanks everyone else who contributed! keep it coming :p

I've taken many upper division science courses. I have taken biochemistry, human genetics, evolution, anatomy+lab, physiology+lab, human reproduction, animal behavior/endocrinology and the lowest grade I've received mostly B's, couple A's, B-'s.

As for my GPA for the last four semesters, I've taken summer school every summer so do those count as semesters? I'm always unsure of how to answer this question because of all the incompletes i received (does my grade get counted in the semester I originally took the course or does it get counted in the semester I "completed" the course?) Anyways, I don't have a very strong upward trend in GPA except perhaps between freshman year and the rest of my college years. (i did horrible freshman year- as in like 1.0 gpa).

I just did the math and if I retake one science course (second semester physics) I will have a 3.02 cumulative GPA for D.O. schools.

Thanks so much! I hope you can give me some more helpful advice now that you have more information :) :)
A course would be "counted" the last time you took it. Summer school is not usually considered a semester, as coursework taken is rarely full-time, and the classes taken then are considered to be a part of the following academic year's grades. But what I'm looking for is whether you've had any significant downward dips in GPA recently, as adcomms will be looking for recent consistency in your grades, generally for the last 3-4 terms. They'll also be looking to see whether you've challenged yourself, and the choices of meaty courses that you've made show that you have.

It would be great if you ended on a high note with as many As as possible right before you apply. It gives a good impression about your capability.

The next part of the plan is to get a strong enough MCAT score to show that you "got" the prerequisite material. A 28 might be enough, but I'd prefer to see you get a 30 to balance out your cGPA.

After you come back with an MCAT score, reasonable schools can be suggested. If you happen to be near a school you'd prefer to attend, you might consider a phone consultation about your application with a dean (it's possible to get an appointment to talk to someone by phone who can help you) so you can be sure to do exactly what they'd like to see.

You're almost there. Well done.

I see a lot of indecision here. Make up your mind first, and then go for a post-bac to improve your GPA.

Hi everyone, I'm trying to make the decision of whether or not to give up on medical school. I have gone through a lot in college and won't bore you with details but basically I have a horrible, inconsistant academic record riddled with incompletes (all of which I completed and received grades for but the incompletes will never disappear my transcript), two F's, two D's, some C's and then A's and B's. I took five years to graduate due to the fact that I retook a bunch of classes (I got my degree this year in biology from a prestigious, notoriously difficult university). My science GPA for D.O. is a 3.43, nonscience 2.81, and overall 2.92. I have not taken the MCAT yet, and am deciding whether or not I even should. I don't want to waste another year of my life working my ***** off trying to make up for ****ty grades. I have a lot of extra curriculars such as research, volunteering abroad, leadership positions in health centers, shadowing doctors, etc. Do I have what it takes to get into D.O. school? I am willing to go abroad ANYWHERE for med school, does anyone know where I have a feasible chance of getting into? I just really don't want to continue killing myself studying if it is hopeless for me. Your honest opinion is really really really appreciated! Thanks :)

Before you give up on yourself, try. You are not the one making the decisions; they are. You seem to have been working hard to meet all the requirements. Now that you are done with your degree, keep up your volunteering, shadowing, take at least 1 class if you can to keep you learning each semester and get a job helping somewhere in the medical field while you apply to medical school. Remember this: (1) you can apply anywhere but the application requires you pay a fee for each school you apply to and (2) if you are selected, can you afford to fly in for an interview? Do not mark yourself as a failure before you give it a try; and if you really want it, at least try again if you fail the first year you try. They will be looking at what you have been doing while you wait, though, so keep going to school,etc..One more thing, whatever you went through, is it possible you will go through it again during medical school? if so, it may not be a good idea to apply if you will just prevent someone else who can complete the four years successfully to reach their goal.:thumbup: