Medical school out of camper/RV ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crandmat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I wasn't too sure where to put this thread, but this is something that I was heavily considering doing. I have never been much for sharing living space with others and generally like to have a quiet place where I can relax/chill/be alone at the end of the day. Grew up camping and being outdoors and learned all sorts of handy skills and am confident I could handle any mechanical/structural problems that arise.

The main issue would be what the program thinks about this. I know for a fact that I wouldn't mention that I am planning to live out of a camper for medical school to an adcom or program director, since I think most people are not too keen on this idea. But, when you start to compare the costs of camper investment (I'd buy one used for 4-5 grand max) + campsite fees + internet vs the total cost of an apartment rent, the numbers to me favor the camper.

I would obviously have to consider geographically where the school is, since some places in the states may or may not have year long campsites. Most of the programs that I am applying to are in the midwest, but there are some that I am applying to in the south that I feel like I would have better luck in getting a year round campsite with hookups.

Interested in hearing about if anybody here has had the same thoughts or any previous experience in doing so!

Members don't see this ad.

- why would the school need to know anything about this? They won’t vet where you live. You probably do need some sort of local address / PO Box or something but I’m sure that can be arranged.
- I assume you would also have a bike / car / alternative means of transport to get to school, yes?
- depending on where you end up, I would think the biggest concerns would be weather-related (snowstorm / flooding / etc). You don’t want to miss 2+ days of class with no internet or because you’re dealing with the loss of your home, and in clinical rotations, again you’re going to be expected to be there — if your living situation is tenuous due to unexpected weather events, this could be an issue.
- also depending on location, how close would you be able to set up this camper etc to the school? It’s a balance between lengthening your commute and saving $$$$.

Otherwise I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, or at least be considered!

Reactions: 1 users
When we had a used RV when I was a kid, my mechanically inclined dad spent all his time repairing it. Part of the fun on vacation, but I have to think it would be a drag full-time. Plus, my dad is exceptionally handy.

My studio in med school in Cincinnati cost $475 with utilities and internet included. If you can really beat that with a camper (in a temperate climate), then sure, why not? But it sounds like a lot of trouble for a modest savings.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
- why would the school need to know anything about this? They won’t vet where you live. You probably do need some sort of local address / PO Box or something but I’m sure that can be arranged.
- I assume you would also have a bike / car / alternative means of transport to get to school, yes?
- depending on where you end up, I would think the biggest concerns would be weather-related (snowstorm / flooding / etc). You don’t want to miss 2+ days of class with no internet or because you’re dealing with the loss of your home, and in clinical rotations, again you’re going to be expected to be there — if your living situation is tenuous due to unexpected weather events, this could be an issue.
- also depending on location, how close would you be able to set up this camper etc to the school? It’s a balance between lengthening your commute and saving $$$$.

Otherwise I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, or at least be considered!

I currently drive a station wagon, w/a bike rack on the back, but would likely trade for a mid size truck to tow a trailer if it all ends up working out. Old man winter would most certainly be my greatest enemy I think.

Depending on where I end up too, like if its some school in a big city I would probably have to just end up getting an apartment since commuting to school from a suburb/campground would be a whole lotta gas money too.

When we had a used RV when I was a kid, my mechanically inclined dad spent all his time repairing it. Part of the fun on vacation, but I have to think it would be a drag full-time. Plus, my dad is exceptionally handy.

My studio in med school in Cincinnati cost $475 with utilities and internet included. If you can really beat that with a camper (in a temperate climate), then sure, why not? But it sounds like a lot of trouble for a modest savings.

Dang, that cheap for a studio in a city like Cincinnati? My buddy in Columbus at OSU says he pays out the wazoo for an apartment with 2 roommates.

I have a very "romantic" view of living out of a trailer, and can see myself covering the walls in whiteboard paint like I did my room now and drawing on them like a crazy person :D

Hey all,

I wasn't too sure where to put this thread, but this is something that I was heavily considering doing. I have never been much for sharing living space with others and generally like to have a quiet place where I can relax/chill/be alone at the end of the day. Grew up camping and being outdoors and learned all sorts of handy skills and am confident I could handle any mechanical/structural problems that arise.

The main issue would be what the program thinks about this. I know for a fact that I wouldn't mention that I am planning to live out of a camper for medical school to an adcom or program director, since I think most people are not too keen on this idea. But, when you start to compare the costs of camper investment (I'd buy one used for 4-5 grand max) + campsite fees + internet vs the total cost of an apartment rent, the numbers to me favor the camper.

I would obviously have to consider geographically where the school is, since some places in the states may or may not have year long campsites. Most of the programs that I am applying to are in the midwest, but there are some that I am applying to in the south that I feel like I would have better luck in getting a year round campsite with hookups.

Interested in hearing about if anybody here has had the same thoughts or any previous experience in doing so!
Sounds like it would kinda cold in the midwest camping in an RV. IIRC there can be issues with the septic tank system freezing or something as well...? My parents are permanent RV-ers and they migrate down south during the winter. That would not be an option for you.

Oh, sorry, to answer your original question, my school would not have cared, but they also would not cut a person any slack for random housing issues. I had trouble rescheduling a quiz in order to move apartments!

The program wouldn’t know. If you have a creeping sense that attending med school out of a camper is frowned upon, it’s because it’s uncommon. It’s uncommon because it’s not practical in most situations. Not to say that will be your situation but you likely will get no slack if you run into practical issues with WiFi, printing, receiving mail correspondence, plumbing issues Etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember a classmate lived in their trailer for rotations. He seemed to like it. No one needs to know where you live. I definitely preferred not having roommates but I saved a lot of money and have 1 bedroom.

You will need a car for medical school.

You will need the internet.

You will need access to laundry, easy access, because toting all your stuff to a laundromat can be hard.

Reactions: 3 users
On the one hand the school wouldn’t know.

On the other, definitely think hard about the practical issues. I have known a few people in med school and residency who chose a less than ideal housing situation for various reasons. Whether it is living an hour away when there is a significant snowstorm, or choosing to rely on public transport in a small Midwestern city with Weather and an unreliable bus system... sometimes it is just worth the money to spare you (and your colleagues!) the headache. If it’s something you really want to do my advice would be to give it a trial run during a less stressful/busy period of your life ie before starting med school.

I think i read somewhere, maybe white coat investor?, about a guy who lived in a houseboat in medical school. This doesnt seem too different.

As an aside, and NOT taking a poke at you, OP, but not too long ago, there was a troll who asked if he could get away with living in the med school library!

That totally sounds like something that I would try and do though, anything to save a buck :laugh:

I think i read somewhere, maybe white coat investor?, about a guy who lived in a houseboat in medical school. This doesnt seem too different.

At the hospital where I work, one of the docs did exactly this, lived out of a 30 footer docked in a marina for medical school. This was back in the 1980s though.

I think at the end of the day I'll just have to wait and see where (if) I end up, and make a decision based around that. If I get in anywhere in the south or out west I would bet I could find some year-round campsites to park at, but if I get in anywhere in the north/midwest I'll probably have to settle for some dinky apartment.

Since I won't be applying until this coming spring/summer, I have a decent amount of time to figure out if this is something that I'll be capable of doing, loving all the responses so far!

Hey all,

I know plenty of professional folks who live/have lived in RVs (or even vans) for a while. As long as you can cook and shower and stay clean and healthy, no big deal! But I also live in Colorado where there's a bit more "vanlife" culture and acceptance of different outdoorsy lifestyles.

That being said, I have a friend who tried living in an Airstream for a few months and gave up a month into winter because her pipes kept freezing and it was WAY too much work.

crandmat said:
Hey all,

Hands down craziest thing I have ever read in this forum. OP, this is not an optimal place to study/make yourself presentable/etc. whether you're pre-med, or in med school, or in residency. Not exactly a good way to stand out. YMMV