Medical School Pre-requisites

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by UrSexyLatinDr21, Nov 15, 2002.

1. UrSexyLatinDr21

UrSexyLatinDr21 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Whats up Amigos/as

Ok, so I was wondering, what is the best way to arrange your pre-reqs? Should it be Biology with General Chemistry and then Physics with Organic Chemistry or General Chemistry with Physics and then Organic Chemistry with Biology? After these courses Biochem and either Cell Bio/genetics or Physio will be added. So what do you guys think is the best way to attack the classes? What pair will it make it harder/easier?

Eduardo

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

I don't think it really matters, as I don't see the different subject helping eachother all that much. It partly depends on what other courses you intend taking. Obviously biochem would be easier if you had both bio and orgo done already but beyond that I don't think it makes a significant difference. I think the biggest difference is in your own personal strengths and weaknesses. Try not to schedule two classes that you know will be tough for you at once. For instance some people find physics tough - so don't schedule it the same semester as organic. Alternatively, if you find physics much, much easier than biology, you might decide that doing physics the same semester as organic would be a better idea....

4. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ack...the boy wonder beat me to what i was going to say. decide what classes you think are going to be relatively easy for you, and which classes will be more of a challenge. just don't take the more challenging classes together. biochem will be easier if you've had both biology and organic, and physiology will be easier after biology. but as far as the basic pre-reqs go, just figure out what your strengths and weaknesses are and plan from there.

5. sarah_viola

sarah_viola Member
    7+ Year Member

At my school, bio was a requirement for orgo, and we covered some bio topics in orgo to make it interesting/applicable, so you may want to take bio before orgo.
    As far as physics and gen chem, i found my physics classes required some gen chem knolwedge, or at least made those sections easier, especially in physics 2, when we covered quantum mechanics and electromagnetism- although that just may be the way the my school taught it. I noticed a lot of overlap.

6. UrSexyLatinDr21

7+ Year Member

Thanks guys for your responses! Anyone else?

Eduardo

7. UrSexyLatinDr21

7+ Year Member

8. karnos

karnos Junior Member

I took Gen. Chem. concurrently with Physics and I think this made it a lot easier. At points, they were covering the same material (like thermodynamics), so learning one chapter in the physics book meant you didn't have to do any studying for chemistry that week. Also, they're both, for the most part, highly quantitative. So, you get your math pill in one does instead of two. Another reason it might be good to take them concurrently, and I didn't think about this at the time, but the MCAT organizes the Gen. Chem. and Physics sections together. That may or may not help anybody in the long run, but it's fun to think about. As far as Orgo. and Bio., I took Bio. first and then Orgo. If I could do it over again, I'd have taken Orgo. first. My Bio. was molecular-based and we had to learn a lot of things (like the Krebs cycle and second messenger pathways and phosphorylation) that would have been a million times easier if I knew how an organic chemical reaction behaved. But, in contrast, I was taking the second semester of Orgo. while taking the MCAT and I think that was a good idea. In the version of the test I took, most of the Orgo. didn't go past what we learned in first semester and, when it did, only counted for a tiny fraction of the test. If I didn't have the complete second semester of Bio., however, I think I would have been in big trouble. So, in the end, it really depends on the individual taking the classes and what the courses are covering. For instance, your Bio. might not be molecular and then Orgo. wouldn't help or you might want to take the MCAT with everything completely out of the way.