Medical School Prerequisites and Advice/Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesome237

Reaction score
I am starting my freshman year of college this fall at community college to save money, do you guys recommend that I wait to take most of my medical school prerequisites till I transfer? Or do you think it's fine to take half or most at community college? And are there any advice and/or tips that you guys can give me?

Members don't see this ad.

As a transfer student, its fine if you take your prereqs before transferring. Taking as many as classes as you can at your CC will save you a lot money. The usual tips: prioritize your grades, get great letters of rec, and fit research/volunteer/leadership/clinical experience where you can.

My best advice: The time to learn about financial responsibility and literacy is right now. If you can, I highly recommend employment. A clinical job like scribing or EMT will get you healthcare experience while learning financial responsibility and keeping your undergrad costs down/saving for med school. If not in healthcare, any employment is good, even just for the summer. Start reading up on personal finance today. Its hard and takes time, but its just like learning anything. Its sure a heck of a lot easier than learning medicine. Like it or not: we are our own financial advisors and planners. And we can all do a damn well better job than anyone else out there. Start tracking your spending and learning to budget. Be strict with your savings if you have extra. The habits you form now will serve you now and forever and can save you thousands, tens of thousands, and even hundreds of thousands of your hard-earned money.

Reactions: 1 user