1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Medical School recognition

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by OliverG, Mar 8, 2007.

  1. OliverG

    10+ Year Member

    Feb 28, 2007
    Likes Received:
    Medical Student
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 OliverG, Mar 8, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  2. mshheaddoc

    mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

    Apr 24, 2002
    Likes Received:
    moving to the international forum ... you'll get more of a response there probably!
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Winged Scapula

    Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

    Apr 9, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Attending Physician
    The US does not accredit any schools outside of the US and Canada. It is not their provence to do so.

    Not exactly. To be eligible for residency training in the US, you must be:

    1) ECFMG certified. This requires:

    a) that your school be listed on IMED; so if yours is, you have passed the first hurdle

    b) passing scores on the USMLEs

    c) completion of your medical degree

    2) citizen or have an approved visa

    Therefore, you must attend a school on the IMED list to be eligible for ECMFG certification which is required for US residency training. The IMED list makes no guarantees about the quality of the education offered by the schools listed, only that they are recognized by the government of the country in which they exist.

    Not all states will accept training from all schools, even if listed by IMED, for licensing purposes. Therefore, if you have your heart set on, for example, practicing or even doing residency in California, you would be well advised to look at the schools which they will accept people from. Check http://www.fsmb.org and follow the links to California. Just because you have an ECFMG certificate does not mean that every state in the US is required to give you a license; most will, but there are some which restrict certain schools.

Share This Page