Medical School Scholarship???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student_premed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope everyone is well. Good Luck to all of those who applied for med school this year. I will be applying next year and want to gather all the information to ease the medical application process.

This thread is to share/explain:

1. How do we apply for medical school’s scholarship?

2. What do they look at the most to consider one for scholarship?

3. If anyone of you had gotten scholarship, please state your stats and name the schools that offered you full/partial scholarship.

I appreciate your participation. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if it's the same with most schools but at UCLA we just apply for fin aid and they come up with the scholarships. After all the applying everyone's been doing for med school, I think it's nice for schools to do this for their students. You can of course apply for some on your own.

hey wookey... are these scholarships based on mcat/gpa or need or both???

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine scholarships that are given as awards or incentives to come to the school are based on academics. However, a lot of scholarships are given based on need and the "group" the student falls under i.e. rural female that is missing her pinky finger...

MDhopeful023 said:
hey wookey... are these scholarships based on mcat/gpa or need or both???

For most people at UCLA its need-based. There are also the exceptional ones who get merit scholarships. How much in scholarships schools give out really depends on how well the school is funded. The major research schools have more funding usually. Check US News' Med school page for rankings based on cost, scholarship, and most importantly average debt.

student_premed said:
Hello everyone, hope everyone is well. Good Luck to all of those who applied for med school this year. I will be applying next year and want to gather all the information to ease the medical application process.

3. If anyone of you had gotten scholarship, please state your stats and name the schools that offered you full/partial scholarship.

Hi there,
Three of the six medical schools that accepted me offered me scholarships of varying amounts. Like most sane people, I chose the full-ride one and have never looked back. My scholarships were based on my incoming GPA and MCAT scores which were very competitive. (I do not post my GPA and MCAT scores on this website as they are meaningless in 2006 since I was an applicant in 1997).

njbmd

student_premed said:

To add to what njbmd said, some schools make you apply for scholarships, and some just award them when you get accepted. I also agree with her that if you do get awarded a full ride somewhere, it is best to accept it in most cases. I also chose to go to a school that offered me a full ride. Knowing my stats won't really help you, because my academic background is so untraditional that it won't apply to you. But keep in mind that although stats are part of the picture, so is the rest of your app. The schools that offered me scholarships were interested in my research background, my teaching experience, and my desire for a career in academic medicine as well as my stats. If you match a school's mission and they really want you to come there to add diversity to their class, then they are more likely to offer you a scholarship. There is definitely a subjective or soft factor to it. Best of luck to you and all of the current applicants. :)

QofQuimica said:
The schools that offered me scholarships were interested in my... ...as well as my stats.

You must have had a heck of a GPA, Q, because that 17L MCAT score wasn't getting you very far ;)

Some medical schools will also automatically consider you for merit scholarships. These are often based on stats, and other qualitative measures. Other people;s stats won't really help you. They will either discourage or give you false hope.

SanDiegoSOD said:
You must have had a heck of a GPA, Q, because that 17L MCAT score wasn't getting you very far ;)
Actually, I have a 0.00 UG GPA. Seriously. My college doesn't give grades, credit hours, or GPAs, so that's what AMCAS calculated for me. That's why I said the OP wouldn't find my stats terribly helpful. There aren't too many people in my situation for either the MCAT or the GPA, let alone both of them put together. :p

Thanks for everyone's input. It has cleared a concept of how to apply and how people get scholarship for medschools. Thanks again

I got essentially a full scholarship, but I think it was partially merit, partially need based. But my situation and many going to the school I am going to are unique because the cleveland clinic wants you to have a manageable debt load so that you can go into academic medicine, so they offer more money. You can see my profile/stats by clicking below...

Hope this helps,

Jim