medical school scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just accepted to medical school and I was wondering if you had any
information on locating existing scholarships. I know they're really
hard to come by, but I can't even figure out where to start looking.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just accepted to medical school and I was wondering if you had any
information on locating existing scholarships. I know they're really
hard to come by, but I can't even figure out where to start looking.
Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm also looking for outside scholarships to reduce my debt in medical school - does anyone have a good list of scholarships/grants that are available? The schools I am accepted to do not give a lot of help in looking for these...

Good luck with that. I think the general feeling of scholarship funds is "why should we give money to medical students when they're going to make TONS of money?"

we get shafted in this department. unless you can score a general assembly scholarship of some sorts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also looking for outside scholarships to reduce my debt in medical school - does anyone have a good list of scholarships/grants that are available? The schools I am accepted to do not give a lot of help in looking for these...

If you have already been accepted, you can contact your school's financial aid office for help. There generally aren't a lot of scholarships out there, but your school (or school's alumni fund) may have some scholarships only offered at that school.

There are, of course, the military (HPSP) and underserved (NHSC, PHS) options. Those are definitely NOT for everyone, though, but they warrant some investigation if you're really concerned about debt.

Finally...Holy Necrobump! :eek: The original post in this thread was made in 1999!!! This may be an SDN record for oldest necrobump.

If you do quick Internet searches there are actually a ton of scholarships out there to fit your particular niche. Many programs offer graduate student scholarships that are quite positive towards medical students. In fact, compared to our business school and law schools peers, most funds are more likely to give money to a medical student because of the social value of a physician in society and our high debtload. Our financial aid office has a list of maybe about 100 or so outside scholarships and research grants....most of which i may not qualify for...but some that I do. They range from as low as $500 to as high as $20,000 or even $90,000. I've applied for (3) 5k grants next year (1) 10k, (1) 1.5k, (1) 1k and a supplemental (1) 4k summer research grant that I intend to use the extra for tuition.

There's money out there. Like everything in life its not easy to get. But its out there and you should apply for it.

Epic bump.

1125936-thread_necromancy_super.jpg