Medical School Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deringer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of scholarships are out there for medical school? A buddy of mine just got a full tuition waiver for the University of Illinois because his dad was in the Air Force Reserve and got called to active duty for like 3 days during the Vietnam war. His dad didn't even have to leave the country. I'm wondering what other kinds of things are out there?

Members don't see this ad.

I just recieved a sholarship from my university. My scholarship was made possible by the Alumni of that school. The scholarship will cover 1/3 of the tuition.

I know there are some scholarships out there for those interested in rural medicine. if anyone could give some information on the rural med scholarship i'd GREATLY appreciate it.
thanks,
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad :)
There are several federal programs that range from the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program to the National Health Service Corp programs. These require a commitment after residency.

Some schools give out some scholarships. I received two small scholarships from my school. Most financial aid departments will automatically apply to these scholarships on your behalf. Check with them to see if they do that.

A couple of the medical organizations have scholarships (e.g., Southern Medical Association). The SMA scholarship is open to third year medical students only.

The last option is to do what I did. Contact a hospital or the Board of Commissioners where you want to practice and ask them if they would give you a scholarship or sponsor you if you come back there to practice. I received a $10,000 scholarship without a firm commitment from a local hospital for whom I used to work. The catch? Nothing. The award acceptance states that I will consider practicing there, but it does not state that I must practice there. A good deal of money for no commitment (although I actually do plan to practice there).

Good luck!

I would strongly suggest that you make an appointment with the person in charge of financial aid at your school. (I promise, you will get MUCH further than just talking to a student office worker over the phone.) In conversation with our financial aid counselor, I found out that I could've received a 1/2 tuition scholarship if I'd spent the summer working overseas in a medical facility! That would've been helpful to know two or three months ago... but anyway... It's really good to talk to the person in charge. They'll know of scholarships that may fit your specific interests and characteristics. It's worth the trip to the school and the appointment you'll need to set up.