Medical school transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopaminesurge

My friends calls me Steve
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So most of you already know my dumb**** story - I applied to only five this year because I was to be out of the country and it was a shot in the dark, and the plan was to apply again next year in earnest. So, as expected, I didn't get in anywhere (one waitlist, and I'm not holding my breath) except for Israeli schools teaching the American method. So question is, do any schools allow transfers for matters other than emergencies or marriage? My family really wants me to start in Israel, but I feel fairly strongly that I prefer to study in the US for the majority of my studies.

Just apply again next year as planned?

Members don't see this ad.

dopaminesurge said:
So most of you already know my dumb**** story - I applied to only five this year because I was to be out of the country and it was a shot in the dark, and the plan was to apply again next year in earnest. So, as expected, I didn't get in anywhere (one waitlist, and I'm not holding my breath) except for Israeli schools teaching the American method. So question is, do any schools allow transfers for matters other than emergencies or marriage? My family really wants me to start in Israel, but I feel fairly strongly that I prefer to study in the US for the majority of my studies.

Hi there,
It is very difficult to transfer between medical schools even US school to US school. Most transfers are done after second year and after you have passed USMLE Step I regardless of marriage.

The one transfer that I know of from a foreign school happen after two years but the person had to start over as a first year in the US school. He essentially re-applied.

If you start in another country, you should finish there and then attempt to get in as an American FMG. This is not an easy route but not impossible unless you have academic problems.

njbmd :)

You have great stats - I am sure next year you will have better luck if you broaden your approach, apply early, use this year experience, etc etc.

I say tell your family it is your life..yada yada. One year in the grand scheme of things is not going to make or break you.
I think the best thing to do is to apply again. Use the extra year to your advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
dopaminesurge said:

wait a year. Apply again....do not compromise your education.
In other news...are you coming to Africa? Perhaps it will help with decision making...

dopaminesurge said:

With that application I think you would be nuts not to reapply to us allopathic schools next year... it would be well worth the wait. just make sure you apply to more than 5 top 10 schools ;)

usrael said:
wait a year. Apply again....do not compromise your education.
In other news...are you coming to Africa? Perhaps it will help with decision making...

Hey B,
I literally do not have the 800$ it would take... :(

maybe you can file for an application fee waiver? contact your premed office and see if they have any ideas. honestly, with your stats you're going to be a top applicant for 2007. find a way to make that money, even if it means taking on two jobs.

dopaminesurge said:
Hey B,
I literally do not have the 800$ it would take... :(

I know what you mean.
I had to dig deep... but I'm not sure I'll get another chance at this.
Doubt that I would expose my family to the dangers further down the road.
Anyhow, if you change your mind or bump into one of the Rothschilds...you know how to find me.

I am really hoping you get off that waitlist.

I would recommend applying again next year. You have great MCAT and GPA scores. However, I would not be a bit surprised if you get a call from Yale. Use this time to consider how you feel about that program and what you would have to do to begin in September even if the call comes much later this year. Good luck. I'll be rooting for you.

Have you considered applying to MD/PhD programs next year? If I recall, earlier you expressed a muted interest in a Neuroscience graduate program. Your stats certainly qualify you for an MD/PhD at some Neuroscience powerhouses (UCSD/Salk, Cornell/Rockefeller, UTSW, UWashington, WashU, Columbia, Duke, Pitt, Wisconsin-Madison, etc.). Don't they also pay for you to fly out for interviews, too? It might help mitigate your current poverty.
Failing that, you could always just set up a marriage of convenience to facilitate a transfer later and then get it annulled once you successfully transfer. Technically that's not entirely dishonest (no school can impose their standards on your "love") & necessity is the mother of invention....

I think I saw a thread a few months ago about transferring from an Israeli school to US and the OP decided to re-apply as a first year.... don't go that route. I've got my fingers crossed you'll get in off of the waitlist :) If not, I bet you'll have bettter success next year! :luck:

Oh man, I feel terrible guys... I inadvertently misrepresented myself. My parents have quite a bit of cash - it's just that I'm trying to 'make it on my own' to some extent. I thought it would be friggin extravagent to fly across the Atlantic more than once this year, though they offered. To all of you with encouraging comments thank you in the sincerest way. I've really been shocked at the power of strangers to influence my outlook this past month.

Tell you what, you can have my waitlist spot at Yale too. So call them up and tell them you have two waitlist spots and you just want to trade them in for one acceptance.

dopaminesurge said:
I've really been shocked at the power of strangers to influence my outlook this past month.

I love lamp! :love:

Wahina said:
Tell you what, you can have my waitlist spot at Yale too. So call them up and tell them you have two waitlist spots and you just want to trade them in for one acceptance.

This made me smile hardcore. :love:

pnasty said:
I love lamp! :love:

... Huh?

dopaminesurge said:
Oh man, I feel terrible guys... I inadvertently misrepresented myself. My parents have quite a bit of cash - it's just that I'm trying to 'make it on my own' to some extent. I thought it would be friggin extravagent to fly across the Atlantic more than once this year, though they offered. To all of you with encouraging comments thank you in the sincerest way. I've really been shocked at the power of strangers to influence my outlook this past month.
I did the "making it on my own" bit too. Then I realized parents want their kids to be happy and follow their dreams. So I let my dad help me out this time around. Did my pride get hurt? No. Do I feel like I'm not independent? No. I chose which schools to apply to, when and how to apply to them. My dad just wanted feel like he was a part of my process towards my goal.

Does anyone know how feasable transferring from one US medical school to another after the pre-clinicals?

You have to have some very good reason - moving to take care of sick parent, etc. Even then, a very limited number of people are allowed, on the order of 2 or 3 in a class of 150+.

Availability of transferring spots vary to year to year, depending on how many students deferred/left/dropped out...etc, simply because each clinical rotation can only accommodate so many and therefore most schools don't bother trying to 'squeeze' someone in, even in cases of emergency. I do know that USC, for instance, usually has at least 1-2 spots and I know someone that did transfer there. However, I think it is quite limited. It is even more limited transferring to a US school from abroad. Israeli med schools, in general, have good reputations, so you can probably match just fine back here. However, if you feel strongly about it, better to defer the school in Israel, try again next year, so that you won't live with regrets.

Does anyone know anything about the match lists for Israeli schools? I have heard that they are pretty good, and that you wont have too hard of a time getting a good residency, especially in NYC.