Medical School vs. Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Archidoct

one to the other
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that Dental school is a lot easier than Medical school. Is this true?

Also, which would be more difficult, Medical surgeon(like gastric bypass, plastic, etc.) vs. an oral surgeon?

Members don't see this ad.

This particular forum is geared towards people who haven't matriculated into medical or dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
My brother is a dentist and I'm in med school, so where I can't answer with authority, I can give you some idea. A lot of the first two years of med school is very similar to dental school, and will be similar in difficulty.
Theres a huge difference between oral surgery and general surgery. Oral surgeons can do some cosmetic surgery i.e. cleft lip/palate, but will be working only with the mouth/jaw.

It seems like medical surgeons make a lot more money than oral surgeons, because oral surgery is limited to the mouth, I'd assume. According to a source on the web, the mean salary for oral surgeons is in the ballpark of 180,000, while surgeons make 250,000.

It seems like medical surgeons make a lot more money than oral surgeons, because oral surgery is limited to the mouth, I'd assume. According to a source on the web, the mean salary for oral surgeons is in the ballpark of 180,000, while surgeons make 250,000.

I believe both are paid more than that. OMFS liability is much lower (dependant upon scope of practice) and insurance is thus lower. It's all about what you want to do though.

Oral surgeons do the sedations for their surgeries unless they need general sedation/100% airway maintanence and they pass it on to an anesthesiologist (as far as my experience/observation goes).

I don't think OMFS receive the same type of respect as a general surgeon from alot of people. Some people still think of OMFS as just a dentist....despite the 4-6 years of advanced training.

Dental school is easier to get into than most medical schools. I knew several people who didn't even complete Organic Chemistry before taking the DAT (and Physics is not required at all for the DAT, although it is for admission, just like Organic Chemistry) and essentially bombed the Organic Chemistry section. They still applied (actually even a year earlier, NOT as Juniors) and even got into their number 1 choice of school. They had lots of interviews and just explained that their OChem performance was sort of weak due to the fact they hadn't taken Ochem and the schools were ok with that.

Also, looking at some of my dental buddies, they have it easier when it comes to grading. If you plan on general dentistry, you can pretty much just pass all your classes. Nobody cares since there is no residency. For all medical students, your grades and board scores are your ticket, so you may have to study harder/more to be competitive, in theory, than in dental school. Dental students have tons of lab work to do during the first 2 years which takes up tons of time besides trying to study for classes, so in that regard it may not be a ton less time spend during your education. However, one of my buddies also uses the abbreviated Robbins Path text book (as provided by the school), for example, rather than the thick juice version, which makes me think there are some differences.

It's the same as for medical school if you want to specialize after dental school, in which case you have to be very very very competitive.

I've had several docs I shadowed actually try to change my mind to go into dentistry insted of medicine. No way!

Also, many people prefer dental training since there is no residency, so you'll be practicing much earlier. Also, there are less hassles with payments and reimbursements than in medicine. Medical reimbursements will likely go down. Many dentists already bill the patient "whatever they want" directly and expect the patient ot pay (not dealing with insurance reimbursements and negotiations of contracts) and have the patient get back from their own insurance companies what they can get by submitting the bill themselves, even if they don't cover the whole procedure.

Yeah, I bet cardiac surgeons make pennies compared to general surgeons because cardiac surgeons are limited to the heart. (/sarcasm)

OMF surgeons can make a ton of money because they tend to do the simpler, quicker procedures that pay more money. Taking out 4 wisdom teeth takes about half an hour and pays probably around $2000. If OMF surgeons make less than medical surgeons, it's because they choose to work much less, not because their services don't cost as much.

I have heard that Dental school is a lot easier than Medical school. Is this true?

Also, which would be more difficult, Medical surgeon(like gastric bypass, plastic, etc.) vs. an oral surgeon?

Why are you so concerned with what is easy and what is hard? I hear plumbing is easy...just ask Mario. There's no such thing as an "easy" professional degree...if you want something you've got to work for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just like to say that I appreciate people not turning this into a pissing contest. You all rock. :)

dental is easier to get into, but similar in difficulty.

I've heard this as well, and after learning the head and neck in med school and hearing the Dental students have to learn it more specifically than we do, respek!

What I wonder is if there's a higher dropout rate in dental school b/c it's easier to get into yet similar in difficulty...

the real question is....what's harder to write after your name?...D.D.S or M.D.

the real question is....what's harder to write after your name?...D.D.S or M.D.

Real doctors get their names on those fancy ink stamps. The good ones will make it look hand-written.

Dude Dentistry seems not to have as much job security as MD thats what you should be worried about OP.

Dude Dentistry seems not to have as much job security as MD thats what you should be worried about OP.

I wouldn't say that. Most dentists are self-employed and I highly doubt people will suddenly stop going to the dentist.

you gotta be good at the business aspect to be successful in dentistry.

Teeth aren't going anywhere, and neither are dentists. Their job definitely can't be outsourced.

Thanks for the all the GOOD advice. I know this is a pre-allopathic only forum, but I thought that a lot of the people that would use this forum would be in the same boat that I am. I am just considering my options and trying to find out which is the "best" road to take, not necessarily the easiest. I have found that there are alot of similarities between dental and medical, but alot of differences, too........just getting more info on stuff.

Another factor to think about: if you're female and want to have children (I know it's sexist, but it's somewhat true). I know a girl who's gone pre-med to pre-dental precisely because she doesn't want to spend so much time on residency and not have a family life.

Another factor to think about: if you're female and want to have children (I know it's sexist, but it's somewhat true). I know a girl who's gone pre-med to pre-dental precisely because she doesn't want to spend so much time on residency and not have a family life.
One of my friends went to pharmacy school instead of med school for much the same reason.

<sigh> if only I liked teeth as much as medicine....

ha, yep..... my brother (a dentist) very sincerely tried to convince me to go to dental school instead of med school, trying to emphasize the more "family friendliness" of being a dentist. (I have two young children) I just couldn't do it cuz I don't want to dig around in people's mouths all day.