Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Medical School vs. Law School

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by busupshot83, Apr 21, 2004.

1. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jwolfe

jwolfe Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

maybe some points are valid.
    I think the real problem here is comparing law school to the didadtic portion of medical school. While it is true that much of the preclinical years are spent memorizing, it is necessary to have this knowledge before walking through the clinic/hospital doors. I think it is more appropriate to compare the whole medical school experience. When you include the bedside as part of the classroom it becomes a more complete comparison. I believe one could then argue about how the bedside teaching offers something "beyond the textbook."

4. Hercules

Hercules Son of Zeus
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Since my wife is a second year law student and I'm an MS-III, I feel like I can comment somewhat here. Just comparing the pre-clinicals to law school, I agree completely that her lectures are better and add to her experience. She's always coming home telling me about interesting class discussions that clearly added to her education. I can honestly say I remember very few discussions in my pre-clinicals that justified the time expense of attending class.

5. ericdamiansean

ericdamiansean High Profiler
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've the best of both worlds back at home too..I'm M2 and she's gona grad from law school soon.
    I think they get proper didactic ie lectures and tutorials but practical wise, med schools do better as we start clinicals early, but she only started her in her 3rd year

6. Lion-O

Lion-O Sight beyond sight.
    7+ Year Member

I like one of the comments on that page:

"Plus medical school is all about people and law school is partially about chickens."

7. japhy

japhy Ski Bum
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    having experienced both i have to say that lectures in med school and law school both suck. law school lectures just suck a little bit less. part of the mystique of law is learning how to think like a lawyer. this plays out in the class discussions. however, the problem is the small group of 5-10 students who must expound upon the days topic. by the second week you know what's going to come out of their mouths. soon you tune them out completely.

btw, at most law schools 2L's are able to get involved in clinics, so they get involved every bit as early as med students.

to be honest i learned most of the first two years of med school from books. law school hasn't been dramatically different. i haven't been to my crim law class since the second week and i seem to know all about homicide, rape, attempt... at least i better, my final is on monday.

8. red ruby

red ruby Member
    7+ Year Member

hey japhy and any others that have experienced both med & law,

Which did you prefer and why? Which would you choose if you had to do it all over again? Law school has a lot of people, particularly guys, who think very highly of themselves and seem to dominate the class discussions, without even listening to any other person's point of view. It really disturbs me how these people can be so insensitive. Is med school the same? - there are some doctors that develop very big egos too, maybe it all starts in med school....

What about the testing? It seems like you can study forever for law exams and it never really pays off, since everyone ends up with the same mark anyways. As well, law school exams are marked on a curve. I think med would probably pay off more, in terms of studying hard and getting the results you deserve. Is this the case?

Thanks in advance for your insight:)

9. aj725

aj725 Member
    7+ Year Member

How is it possible that there are always 5-10 people in a law school class who talk constantly? I thought law school profs were all about calling on people and asking detailed questions (and have some kind of knack for calling on those who aren't prepared w/ the reading for the day--at least thats what my 1L/2L friends tell me). It seems like law school profs are very tough and quick to let you know your place if you're unprepared or if you spout off your personal opinions--is this not true in every class?

10. japhy

japhy Ski Bum
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    aj, i think you are talking about the feared socratic method. i tend to have younger professors who don't use this teaching style quite as often. all of them use it to some extent, but usually they will call on a student and ask questions for 5-10 minutes and by then other students have questions and all hell breaks loose. some of my friends in other sections have teachers that will call on one person for the entire class (80 minutes!). once you get to second and third year it is not like that at all, it is a lot of seminar style classes.

red ruby, i definitely like med school more. the people in med school are generally nicer and more interesting. people in law school are certainly forceful with their opinions. it is good to learn how to argue with them...
    testing in law school is kind of ******ed. for most classes it is only one exam at the end of the semester. i feel like many of them exams do not adeqautely test what you have learned. but i felt that way in med school a lot too. i mean, how in depth can you get when all of your exams are multiple choice. all in all, i liked med school much more. i am starting to enjoy law school and have learned quite a bit, but i can't wait to get backk to med school and finish my clinical rotations.