Medical School Waiting List Policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotwasabi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes to both questions. Many schools also afford you a little bit of time to make the decision and consider the financial aid opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I am waitlisted at 5 medical schools (for example UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, and UC Davis). I wanted to full comprehend AMCAS policy on the waiting list. I have accepted one medical school offer (say UC Irvine) and withdrawn all my other acceptances. I was wondering about a few hypothetical situations:

1)Accepted by UCSD on May 6th. Then I accept this offer, withdraw from UC Irvine. Then I get accepted at UCLA on May 24th. Can I take decline UCSD and then go to UCLA?

2)Accepted by UC Davis on May 10th. Accept this offer, withdraw from UC Irvine. Then I get accepted from Stanford on July 31st. Can I decline UC Davis and then go to Stanford?

Basically the schools are just examples. My situation is real, not hypothetical. I want to understand the timeline of acceptances for waiting list as per AMCAS policy.

Same boat here, but just 4 WL. My understanding of the situation is:
1) You can definitively go to UCLA but you will lose the money for the deposit in UC Irvine and UCSD.
2) Same thing, you go to Stanford but lose the deposit of every offer you accepted.

As long as you have not matriculated (started orientation) at a school, you can decline that school's offer and accept an offer that has been made by a school that waitlisted you. Most schools that make you an offer from the waitlist will leave the offer on the table for a period of time (two weeks??) to give you time to consider. Once you accept the offer, you must withdraw at the other school that has made you an offer.

Reactions: 1 users