Medical school while in the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SGT2MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was introduced to the idea of going to pharmacy school over a year ago by a good friend of mine, who was a P3 at the moment. After talking to him for a while, I realized that I have been cutting myself short with my dreams and ambition, maybe I can be in the healthcare field. I changed my major to pre-pharmacy.
Currently, I am deployed in Afghanistan. Here, while I am not pulling security or on patrol, I volunteered to work at the clinic (role 1). I found out soon enough that I really like being there. Although I am not a medic, the medics and PA that I work with allow me to do a few things. Every now and then, I'll be able to take patient's history and jot down SOAP note. It made me feel good! it made me feel like I am like a doctor (granted that I know I'm not). I became more and more drawn into this environment the more that I am in the clinic. I enjoy being the first source of a solution to a problem. I enjoy watching the PA and medics get together to figure out a plan of treatment for patients. Then, I became inspired to become a medical doctor.
Another big reason was I took a class on Human Health and Disease, and the instructor is a medical doctor. He addressed some of my concerns about making the decision of going to medical school instead of pharmacy school. With that, I am even more inspired.
But of course, I can't deny the fact that medical school is hard, other wise everyone would be a doctor. Here are some of my concerns if you guys can help me address these too.
Right now I only have over sixty credit hours. Most of the classes I took are basic core classes, non science related. The only science course I've taken is Chemistry. My GPA right now is about 3.17. I plan to take psyc, critical thinking, and statistics online here while I'm in Afghanistan to relieve some required classes so I can focus in on my science classes. When I get back early 2014, I plan to take 3 science classes at a time to catch up with lost time. Since I am 23 right now, I don't want to lose anymore time. I guess one of the question would be, is it too old to finish med school at 30 years old? that mean I'll still have 3-4 more years of residency and a few more of fellowship if I decide to specialize. I have a world of worries right now that come to my mind every now and then to discourage me, but I know this is something that I really want to do. I'm just afraid to fail.
The military have taken so much time out of me, for the past few years. Although I am in the Army National Guard, I have done three years worth of active duty time, which is the equivalent of 1 active duty contract. I take classes when I can, and when I am called to active duty I had to withdraw from classes. I failed some classes because of it too, I wonder if it'll make it hard to get into med school. Would they listen to my story first before considering me? or will they just look at a stack of applications and pick their interviews? will I have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke with a lot of docs and admissions folks when I decided I wanted to go from the military into medicine. Here's the most important things they tell everyone looking at that transition:
- You have to go to school full time at some point, to show you do well in that environment. Ideally a full four years, next best is a full time post-bacc or SMP.
- You'll get some leeway on GPA and MCAT because people assume you're more organized and dependable than the equivalent 22 year old, but don't assume they'll accept someone below the bottom 10% on the MSAR. Those spots are for truly unique situations.
- Don't do any pre-reqs online; almost no one accepts online classes. You can't apply broadly if you have to limit yourself to the online classes set.
- Same with community colleges if possible. I took two classes at a CC because it was my only option and it closed the door on half the top 20 despite a service academy 3.7/37.
- Check your ego and apply to DO schools. They're friendlier to non-traditional students, do grade replacement, and if you're planning to go active duty the same military residencies are available to MDs and DOs.
- Following the same theme, look at your GPA and MCAT when you're finishing up and consider PA school. If hands on patient care is your main concern, it's a fast and relatively easier way to get there.
Hope that helps!

Thankyou MyDogIsRiley and GynGyn,
I guess you're right GynGyn. I was comparing myself with my pharmacy friends who were always on track since highschool instead of straying off like I did. I know I have to finish school before starting a family, I just don't want to start one too late neither. Also, GynGyn, what is the GPA range I should aim for? and how many science classes should I finish before I can even consider taking the MCAT? does one of those MCAT prep courses from KAPLAN help? I read a book on the new changed on the 2015 MCAT and I think I should take it before they make the change. What do you think? Also, after deployment, I will not be required to do anything else other than focusing into school. Do you really think 3 science courses will be overwhelming? and the reason I am considering doing it because I have finished all the other non-science related courses. All I have is a bunch of biology classes, chem, ochem, physic and what not.
MyDogIsRiley, would admission look at my history before considering my interview? what do you mean by "it closed the door on half the top 20 despite a service academy 3.7/37"? I will definitely look into a D.O. program also, but if all fails, I will definitely look into a PA program. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I'll have a better chance of getting into a PA program, but i'll shoot for the top first.

Again thanks guys