Medical school with hearing aids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asl_med

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming M1 that wears hearing aids occasionally, as I have poor hearing in certain situations - talking on the phone, lecture halls (due to the fuzziness of the mics and people talking), restaurants. I know it's kind of a silly worry, but I haven't disclosed it to my med school because it's not a super serious impairment, it doesn't even really qualify as "hearing loss".

If I talk one on one with a person it's totally fine, and I've had no problem hearing codes/understanding when I've volunteered/shadowed in the hospital.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else wears hearing aids some or all of the time and can ease my worries. In undergrad, no one gave two flying ducks, but I'm a bit wary that people will see the hearing aids and assume I'm hard of hearing or d/Deaf and it will result in confusion haha.

Members don't see this ad.

I work with residents/med students every day and know a third year resident that wears hearing aids every day for similar reasons. Makes absolutely no difference to his preceptors or patients. I think you'll be just fine. Congrats on your accomplishments and good luck with med school!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an incoming M1 that wears hearing aids occasionally, as I have poor hearing in certain situations - talking on the phone, lecture halls (due to the fuzziness of the mics and people talking), restaurants. I know it's kind of a silly worry, but I haven't disclosed it to my med school because it's not a super serious impairment, it doesn't even really qualify as "hearing loss".

If I talk one on one with a person it's totally fine, and I've had no problem hearing codes/understanding when I've volunteered/shadowed in the hospital.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else wears hearing aids some or all of the time and can ease my worries. In undergrad, no one gave two flying ducks, but I'm a bit wary that people will see the hearing aids and assume I'm hard of hearing or d/Deaf and it will result in confusion haha.
It won't be an issue.

Reactions: 1 users