Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mig2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all you lucky med students,

Can you guys tell us WHY you have chosen the school that you did? Are you glad you made the decision? if not, why? Do you like your school? Anything else you might want to contribute? I'm asking this help myself and others decide which school is right for them. No flame war and trash talk about other schools now!
smile.gif
Thanks guys.

Mig

Members don't see this ad.

I choose NOVA because it has a strong program. Beside all the typical classroom lectures, NOVA provides lots of clinical training.

First year: Every other week, we will go to a physician's office to learn about how to approach patients and do history-taking. Some physicians will also allow the students to preform physical examination & writing SOAP notes.
Also, every other week, we will have a clinial corelation session. We learn to apply the lecture material into real cases

Year 2:Instead of every other week, the above activity is every single week. It is very exciting because I can access a patient thoroughly, from history taking & PE, to differential diagnosis.

Another reason that I choose NOVA is because the facilities are very nice. The Health Profession Division building is brand new and the school is located in a very nice neighborhood.

I picked my school because of a few things. The reputation my school had was very good, the tuition was cheap and I like the city where it's located. On top of that, I really enjoyed the curriculum. I really enjoy PBL and small group learning so I chose a school that had quite a bit of these activities. I also liked the strong emphasis that was placed on research at my school. Even if I am not personally interested in research (but I am), I feel that it's a good idea that you have professors and preceptors who are strongly committed to staying on the cutting edge of science and medicine. Finally, I picked my school because of the general atmosphere that the student body had. M1's weren't considered "froshes" but were treated like human beings and new friends. There were alot of M4's who didn't think it was below them to sit with the M1's and who were quite willing to talk and befriend us--this isn't always the case in some schools. Also, alot of the students had a life outside of school and weren't geeks who would rush home to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
What school are you going to Ponyboy?

here's a hint:
the dean of harvard med got his MD there

University of Alberta...Ignore Ponyboy.