Medical schools and research opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to show my ignorance here. I have a friend that is applying to medical school and I told her I would ask her question on SDN. She is interested I guess in finding a school that is fairly research intensive. I know while many dental schools are highly involved in research, others have very limited opportunities. Is this true for medical schools too? Is research a mandatory part of your curriculum? Are there schools where you may never have an opportunity to conduct research during the program? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Research for medical school is not required. But if you are seriously interested in a particular competitive specialty, it might be good to do some research in that area. Usually the only time students will have time away from the regular curriculum to do some research is the summer after Year 1. Many schools will give students a stipend for like 8-10 weeks of research.
I think most allopathic medical schools have research opportunities available. DO or osteopathic medical school, or some of them, dont have a lot of research opportunities available.