Medical Schools being built at UC Riverside and UC Merced?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my family is really upset that I moving thousands of miles away for medschool. My dad in particular, he suggested I wait to go to medical school until the Riverside and Merced campuses have started enrolling students. Parents are so funny. Like it would even be a sure thing that I'd get in, lol. Anyway, I am upset that my timing sucks for these schools. Has anyone heard when/if they'll be up and running anytime soon? Not that I'd pass on my accceptances this year, I'm just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard something like 2012 for Riverside, but no way Merced's getting one any time soon. That whole place is about 3 buildings.

Right now UC Riverside has the UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider program, where 24 UCR graduates get guaranteed admission into this program. You have to graduate from here, but once enrolled in the program you do your two science-based years with your 23 other classmates at UCR, and do your clinicals at UCLA. Your degree is the same as if you had gone to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA for all four years. You should check to see if your incoming class will be able to take advantage of it. It's a great program, ~150 people apply each year.

More information:
http://biomed.ucr.edu/content/view/25/49/