Medical Schools' Cost of Attendance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorjmr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When looking at the full cost of attendance (COA) of medical schools (within the same mid-western geographical area), it always includes tuition, room and board, and books. However at some schools transportation, personal (miscellaneous), and health insurance are also included. Including these additional expense areas in the COA obviously provides a medical student with more money to live off of. Assuming that a medical student would take out the full COA loan amount, why are there such large differences in the loan amounts that medical students can live on? I have seen 15k-25k being awarded for costs above tuition. That is a fairly large range and I am thinking that it could possibly affect the school that a medical student attends (i.e. someone with a family that needs more loans to provide)

Members don't see this ad.

When looking at the full cost of attendance (COA) of medical schools (within the same mid-western geographical area), it always includes tuition, room and board, and books. However at some schools transportation, personal (miscellaneous), and health insurance are also included. Including these additional expense areas in the COA obviously provides a medical student with more money to live off of. Assuming that a medical student would take out the full COA loan amount, why are there such large differences in the loan amounts that medical students can live on? I have seen 15k-25k being awarded for costs above tuition. That is a fairly large range and I am thinking that it could possibly affect the school that a medical student attends (i.e. someone with a family that needs more loans to provide)
Regional cost of living differences.

Reactions: 1 user
Regional cost of living differences.

I realize that the COA would be different when hypothetically comparing CA schools to a midwestern school, but the schools I'm comparing are within a couple hours of each other in the midwest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cost of living can vary drastically even between cities. For example, my brother who lives 4 hours away payed more for a 1 bedroom apartment than I pay for my 5 bedroom mortgage.

Reactions: 1 user
Cost of living can vary drastically even between cities. For example, my brother who lives 4 hours away payed more for a 1 bedroom apartment than I pay for my 5 bedroom mortgage.
As far as I know, the cost of living is about the same. If it helps I'm comparing U of Missouri-KC, U of Missouri, and Saint Louis University. It just seems like some schools factor in costs such as personal expenses and health insurance while others don't. I'm just wondering why that is.

As far as I know, the cost of living is about the same. If it helps I'm comparing U of Missouri-KC, U of Missouri, and Saint Louis University. It just seems like some schools factor in costs such as personal expenses and health insurance while others don't. I'm just wondering why that is.

Housing is about 25% cheaper in St. Louis than KCMO, and Columbia is even more expensive than KCMO.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A one bedroom apartment where I go to undergrad is 500 a month with all utilities... my friend goes to Rutgers pays 950 to live in a 4 bedroom with 8 people

A beer at the restaurant I work at is 2.50 for a pint, same from my area at home in jersey is 6... margaritas 5 at home 10. Prices vary