Medical Schools don't see Transcripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedProdigy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that Med Schools will not see your transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

True in an absolute sense that you don't send your transcript to each medical school, but false since all of the information is entered into AMCAS and your transcript is sent to them for verification and then AMCAS sends the information about your classes taken and grades received.

Members don't see this ad :)
from what genius did you receive this information?

I'm willing to bet this nugget of info came from a pre-med advisor. :rolleyes:

medical school's dont see the actual "absolute" transcript in the sense of honors listed (dean's list, cum laude, etc.) right?

My question actually is if one omits these honors from 1 of the 15 experience descriptions, there is no way for medical schools to know that you received them right since they only look at the amcas formatted version of your grades? Having trouble fitting things onto amcas...

I feel dumber for having read OP's post.

medical school's dont see the actual "absolute" transcript in the sense of honors listed (dean's list, cum laude, etc.) right?

My question actually is if one omits these honors from 1 of the 15 experience descriptions, there is no way for medical schools to know that you received them right since they only look at the amcas formatted version of your grades? Having trouble fitting things onto amcas...

Nobody cares about those honors (pretty much everyone applying has gotten them now and then). They can tell just by your GPA if you would have gotten them anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)

While most applicants may have some sort of honors, you should still use the Awards/Honors category as one of your 15. Something else can go, but this must be included. Perhaps try combining two other related activities under one heading. The idea is to use as many of the different EC/Activity categories as possible, if you genuinely have something for each.

While most applicants may have some sort of honors, you should still use the Awards/Honors category as one of your 15. Something else can go, but this must be included. Perhaps try combining two other related activities under one heading. The idea is to use as many of the different EC/Activity categories as possible, if you genuinely have something for each.

i thought depth was valued over breadth in general?

Nobody cares about those honors (pretty much everyone applying has gotten them now and then). They can tell just by your GPA if you would have gotten them anyway.

This is foolish.

Can medical schools see individual A+'s, even if the gpa can't go above 4.0? Relevant question since we are talking about transcripts.

Can medical schools see individual A+'s, even if the gpa can't go above 4.0? Relevant question since we are talking about transcripts.

They're listed on the verified AMCAS as A+'s, but don't help your GPA beyond the 4.0.

Not sure anybody is gonna be studying your course list though.

i thought depth was valued over breadth in general?

Yes. But if you have an awards/honors category, it won't hurt to add an extra line saying that you also got dean's list/departmental honors/graduated summa cum laude/whatever.

From past anecdotes, it appears schools DO care.

Yes, they see A+'s. I don't think they psychologically weigh them any higher than an A, though.

Different schools have different cutoffs for honors. My undergrad gave summa to the top 5%, which coincided with a 3.60 GPA cutoff, notable lower than many other institutions.

Moral of the story - whatever deep dark secret you are planning on hiding because "medical schools don't see your transcript"... don't. They will see it and they don't like liars...

Survivor DO

Different schools have different cutoffs for honors. My undergrad gave summa to the top 5%, which coincided with a 3.60 GPA cutoff, notable lower than many other institutions.

wtf 3.6 ended up being the cutoff for cum laude which was around 30% or so for my school

Dang. Ours was 3.95+. I never imagined there was so much variance.

wtf 3.6 ended up being the cutoff for cum laude which was around 30% or so for my school

Yea grade deflation was pretty bad at my school :( I think cum laude (also 30%) was a 3.30 for my year.

Dang. My school must be easy then.

3.4-3.59 cum laude
3.6-3.79 magna cum laude
3.8-4.0 summa cum laude

I don't know what % of kids at my school had these grades. I don't even know how you guys found that info out.

Whatever school you matriculate to will require a copy of your official transcript.

What if the school we matriculate to is the school we graduated from?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dang. My school must be easy then.

3.4-3.59 cum laude
3.6-3.79 magna cum laude
3.8-4.0 summa cum laude

I don't know what % of kids at my school had these grades. I don't even know how you guys found that info out.

well i know roughly where the cutoff is because i didn't get cum laude and my gpa was around there so it had to have been higher than mine.