Medical schools granting interviews now...what's up with that?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I literally just got an email from Albany stating that I've been granted an interview. I applied on time, months ago and got 2 acceptances from, a few holds and rejections, and still waiting on some responses. Now, I called the receptionist (weeks ago for status check), and she pulled up my file and told me that since I hadn't heard anything from their school, that I was rejected and to try to apply next year (In a nice way). Now they're granting me an interview

Sorry, now I have a bunch of questions:
What's going on? Should I spend the money driving/flying there to be interviewed for a hold spot? How does it compare to Penn State or Buffalo? Has anyone else been offered interviews this late in the process? If so, how did it go?

Members don't see this ad.

At this point, I'd say...it's not worth your time or money (unless you've got lots of time and money). BUT if there's something about Albany that stood out (to you) when you were initially applying, it may be worth it. Obviously, you're not afraid of the cold. Albany Med's extremely expensive. The cost of living isn't that bad (I hear). Check out their match lists. Define your goals and weigh whether Albany will help you acheive them.

Are you accepted at your first choice?

I was told this at my Albany interview: Albany accepted 30+! off the waitlist two years ago and over-accepted 2 or 3 last year. This year, the Adcom will try to scale back on initial acceptances so that the school will not over accept. This leads me to believe that there will be significant waitlist movement this May.

Personally, I'd go with Penn State if you're a Penn resident and Buffalo if you're a NY resident. Both schools are as good, if not better than Albany.

Medicus said:
I literally just got an email from Albany stating that I've been granted an interview. I applied on time, months ago and got 2 acceptances from, a few holds and rejections, and still waiting on some responses. Now, I called the receptionist (weeks ago for status check), and she pulled up my file and told me that since I hadn't heard anything from their school, that I was rejected and to try to apply next year (In a nice way). Now they're granting me an interview

Sorry, now I have a bunch of questions:
What's going on? Should I spend the money driving/flying there to be interviewed for a hold spot? How does it compare to Penn State or Buffalo? Has anyone else been offered interviews this late in the process? If so, how did it go?