Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Medical Schools in Australia and the UK Rankings?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MC23, Jan 3, 2009.

1. MC23

MC23 Finding Myself
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi all,

I was wondering: can anyone try to rank (very loosely) the medical schools in Australia and/or the schools in the UK? What sort of range school should I be looking into in these areas if I am a first semester junior at NYU (class of 2010) biology major with:

Principles of Biology: A-, A (Frosh)
    General Chem: B, B+ (Frosh)
    Organic Chem: C+ (Soph. will retake in public college in summer of 2009), B
    Physics: B (junior)

3.36 cumulative GPA. BCPM GPA about the same (i will be taking 3 more this spring - Vertebrate Anatomy, Physics 2, Stats).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. emewe

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know anything about Australia, but as far as the UK goes, I believe that, much like here, all the schools are regarded well and it's more an issue of "fit." That said, applying in the UK is not going to be an easy ride. I don't know whether you are a citizen or not and can claim UK "home" status, but if you are applying as purely international it is extremely competitive. There are not many spots for non-UK/EU/EEA residents, Even if you can claim home status, the application process is incredibly different from here. The electronic online application is substantially shorter and US qualifications do not fit into the boxes as easily as one might hope. I would suggest looking into schools you are interested in (I would recommend Aberdeen and Glasgow, purely on personal bias but I have visited both of these schools and loved them) and contact the admissions people starting now to find out exactly what you will need to do, what to send, and when.

and FYI, the application service in the UK is www.ucas.ac.uk. Have a look at the basics so you know what you're getting into. The recommendations over there have to be entered by your individual recommender, and only one is required, however they are open for you to view. Premed advisers tend to have a problem with this. I would go directly to your recommender and ask them if they would mind doing it, despite it being open. There is no way to waive access (at least that's what I was told when I tried).

Sorry for the long post, hope that helps!

3. emewe

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    forgot to mention, most UK schools require a "upper second class honours" degree from applicants who have an undergraduate degree. There is not a direct equivalent in US terms, but I would estimate probably top 10% of your graduating class. Like I said, international spots are extremely competitive, wow them with your GPA!

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just bear in mind that if your goal is to practice in the US, you should be shooting to attend med school in the US. Your grades are not bad enough to be focusing on foreign options as opposed to some form of SMP or rehabilitation. In terms of getting US residencies, the lowest ranked US school gives you better odds than the highest ranked non-US school.