Medical Schools in Italy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brockmann

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in attending Medical School in Italy, probably Bologna. I am an Irish citizen and I have a BA in history from New York University, USA. What must I do to apply? I keep emailing them but I never get a response. I think Italy shuts down in August! Also, if anyone can tell me anything else that might be helpful, I would really appreciate it. You can email me at: [email protected].

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, Italy does shut down in August. Additionally, Italian administrative offices are very disorganized and not always cooperative. Why have you decided to attend school in Italy? Do you want to work there after obtaining your degree? I am not sure that as an Irish citizen you would not have much luck finding employment in Italy because of the socialized health care and high unemployment rate in Italy.

ash-

i am actually american but my parents are from ireland and i hold an irish passport. also, i lived in italy for over a year so i am fluent in italian. i went to undergrad here in the USA and the reason i am thinking italy is because: (1) price (2) i speak italian (3) to not have to do postbac in US (4) relatively easy admissions (so i heard) for EU students. any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

brockmann

Members don't see this ad :)
Brockmann, I am not exactly sure how the educational system (in terms of exams and grading)is in Ireland (I don't know if you have had any schooling in Ireland) but it may be vastly different from Italy's. For example, in Italian universities there is comprehensive exam given at the end of each class and if you do not pass you have to take the class again. The exams usually are done orally in front of a committee or professor. Also, Italian university tuition is cheap for Italian citizens but would it be the same for a foreigner? Since universities are state sponsored it may be a different cost to you.

i went to school in the USA and i am familiar with the italian university system. it is indicated on the EU website, all tuition is the same for all EU citizens. i contacted the italian consulate and the university of bologna (several times over the past couple of months) but as i said i didn't get a reply yet. i just want to know exactly what i have to do to get in. from reading web sites i am getting different info and it is all confusing!

Brock, sorry that I can't help you anymore. As I implied before, Italian bureaucracy is not easy to deal with! Good luck trying to get the information that you need. Bologna is a beautiful city.

Could you kindly let me know if you are successful. I would be interested in an Italian university too. It seems like you would have to wait til the 2002 school year. I am applying to Russian schools, as well as Ukranian schools (also because of the low cost). But if Italian schools are inexpensive, I would be interested too. I hope you post the info, or you can email me. Thanks!!

hi, i'm a foreign medical student in italy, university of florence.in italy you can't find a lot of answers in august. however to enter to med school in italy you should do an entrance exam, usually given in september(between 15 and 20th) and an italian test.Because you are a european citizen so you should take the same test with italians, so you compete with them, don't worry it is easy.the exams in italy are oral.
if you want some answers don't e-mail the university try to call the registrar's office (called segreteria degli studenti) on monday,wednesday and friday from 9:00 to 13:00 am (italian time).
as far as tuition is concerned you pay as the italians around 2000000-2500000 italian lira per year,itis really cheap.
if you want my personel opinion, med schools here are very good in theory, but the practical part of medecine is weak.
if you have some questions please feel free to e-mail me:[email protected]

jeje, I have heard from italian medical students that they don't even have any patient interaction during the first 3-4 years of school. Is this true?