Archdelux

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
Status
Academic Administration
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could list the schools that you have visited/attended that have more of a campus-feel, rather than a few buildings stuck in downtown. I've heard Duke, Stanford, etc. have this. Any others to add to the list?

Which school, in your opinion, has the best location?

Much appreciated!

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Moving to Pre-Allo as this is a pre-med issue. Allopathic medical students read and reply to threads in preallo and may follow and reply to this one of desired.

Celestron2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Ha! Not Jeff.
Definitely a bunch of buildings scattered across several city blocks.
We had one nice open space where you could congregate on benches with friends and they bull dozed it. Although when the project's done it's supposed to be green space. We haven't had that area in 2 years.
I miss that lush green college campus feel, but I think it's rare among med schools. There are other advantages to being in the middle of a city though.

About the Ads

hah funny, I'm actually looking for an urban school thrown right into the city. Looks like I wont have much trouble finding one, luck me!

foreverLaur

MSN, RN, CNE
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Ohio
Status
Non-Student
While Ohio State is definitely in Columbus, it isn't directly downtown. When I walk around campus, it is very pretty. Lots of trees, flowers, green space, and pretty buildings. Since the "streets" are mostly one way parking you hardly encounter anything but pedestrian traffic. However, hop the #2 bus and you are downtown!

Tndoorijones

10+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Georgetown's medical school campus is attached to the undergraduate school. It's got a good feel if you get a chance to get out of the library, at least that's what my friends who go there tell me.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A few schools:

UCLA's med school is part of the Westwood campus.

USC's is part of a campus separate (but in a nicer area) from the undergrad campus, but still has a collegiate feel to it.

UCI's med school is separate from the undergrad campus but about a mile away.

Wisconsin's medical school is a few miles from the main undergraduate buildings but not really separate. All of the area in between belongs to the university.

Smctbone

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2007
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Emory's med school is directly on the main campus along with undergrad, public health, law school, etc. You'll be able to do rotations at Emory Hospital (also on campus) and Grady, which gives you the downtown exposure. But we have a private shuttle that goes directly to and from Grady every 30 minutes, so that's no big deal.

TheRealMD

"The Mac Guy"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2007
Houston, Texas
Status
Medical Student
Baylor has the Rice University campus about 2 blocks away. Definitely campus-like (especially with all the construction going on).

howdy2u

USC, I'm waiting....
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Los Angeles
Status
Pre-Medical
USC's is part of a campus separate (but in a nicer area) from the undergrad campus, but still has a collegiate feel to it.
We should clarify....

The term "nicer area" means that you have a 10% better chance of not getting mugged.

--Go Trojans!

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We should clarify....

The term "nicer area" means that you have a 10% better chance of not getting mugged.

--Go Trojans!
Haha... true. That said, at least 95% of the Crime Alert emails we get from DPS are from the UPC area.

Abilene85

10+ Year Member
May 30, 2007
OH
Status
Medical Student
University of Iowa-Carver College of Medicine
University of Michigan

My school, the University of Toledo College of Medicine, is about 10 minutes from main campus, but we do have a campus feel - a couple clinic/administrative/educational buildings (mostly connected with glass walkways and through the basement network) surrounded by quite a bit of grass. I know students have a lot of ultimate frisbee games on campus.

Also Case Western. It is on main campus, which sits kind of in the transitional area between city and suburbs. It has a bit of an urban feel, but also has some green areas, a lagoon by the art museum, a couple nice parks nearby. Campus has places to throw a frisbee and hang out when the weather is nice. I'm talking Case, NOT Cleveland Clinic, which is much more urban.

10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2007
Status
Medical Student
U of Pittsburgh- right next to undergrad. It doesn't have green space and commons, but it definitely feels connected to other campuses.

About the Ads