medical schools planning- I'm all messed up! Any ideas?

brightness

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Grand Rapids, Mi
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I probably should have really looked at this a lot more closely, but I guess I I missed a small but important detail of this process.
I've researched being a physician as a career and some of the requirements to do it, and I started feeling very excited about the prospect of becoming a doctor. However, I have noticed that because I am going into my junior year of college and haven't even started the process of getting into med school....I have a problem.
I have taken biology 101 and I've started a psychology major- I wanted to be a psychologist. Before too long I started looking at psychiatry, which lead me to careers in medicine...all the way to thinking about pediatrics. The major problem is that next year is my junior year. I'm OK with having to go to college for 3 more years, but I still have to take CHM 1, CHM 2, ORGO 1 and 2, and a year of physics, minimally. My plan was this as a timeline:
Junior year: CHM 1 and 2
Senior year 1: ORGOs
Senior year 2: Physics
I would do all this while completing my major requirements. I'm not sure what major to do...I have some credits in psychology, and I was thinking about going for a biomedical sci major or one in child development.
TO SUM IT UP:
When would I apply for medical school?

When would I take the MCAT given my timeline issues?

What major would be best to prepare?

What do you suggest for electives? - I know we need a year of bio, but what are the very important electives, such as anatomy?

I really would like to go to medical school. The main problem is CHM, PHY, and ORGO, and when to take these classes in order to register for the MCAT and get into medical school in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks guys!!!!!

SpeakLittleB

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Boston, MA
Status
MD/PhD Student
perhaps take chem and physics both this year (your junior year). then devote next summer to the fall mcat and your apps. organic chemistry is becoming less and less of a key component of the mcat, and the questions they have on that subject are really simple anyway--you can learn what you need during the summer that you're studying. this way you can still finish your college on time and start medical school the fall after you graduate. for electives, i suggest any bio class that allows for thinking rather than memorization. the mcat is passage based, and all the information is given. you just need to know how to interpret and understand. i took the mcat without taking anatomy, and just memorized all the body parts and whatever while studying for the test.

OP
brightness

brightness

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Grand Rapids, Mi
Status
Thats an idea. I think I am going to try that, and then do the psychology or child development major instead of biology. Really, I only was going to do the bio major to "make sure" I get in; but I'm not sure if I'd want to do anything biology related if it wasn't medicine. My focus is on people- I have no problem with science, in fact, I really enjoy it. But I'm just not interested in being in a lab or being a professor or anything like that. I've been planning on PA school if the medical school thing doesn't work out for me.
:)

About the Ads

shantster

Eye protection!
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Wherever life takes me...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
brightness said:
Thats an idea. I think I am going to try that, and then do the psychology or child development major instead of biology. Really, I only was going to do the bio major to "make sure" I get in; but I'm not sure if I'd want to do anything biology related if it wasn't medicine. My focus is on people- I have no problem with science, in fact, I really enjoy it. But I'm just not interested in being in a lab or being a professor or anything like that. I've been planning on PA school if the medical school thing doesn't work out for me.
:)
Just a heads up: The big thing to keep in mind about using PA school as a backup is that they require a bunch of courses that are different than the ones needed for medical school. I don't remember what they all are, but I do remember psych courses are big, which is good if you want a psych major. I think you also need anat&phys which will be different than your gen bio requirements for med school.

bbas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2003
DC Metro
Visit site
Status
Other Health Professions Student
shantster said:
Just a heads up: The big thing to keep in mind about using PA school as a backup is that they require a bunch of courses that are different than the ones needed for medical school. I don't remember what they all are, but I do remember psych courses are big, which is good if you want a psych major. I think you also need anat&phys which will be different than your gen bio requirements for med school.
Also, most PA schools require or at least highly recommend a large amount of previous clinical experience, more so than what med schools typically require.

Summer Sweet

Le chéri, c'est la vie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
brightness said:
I probably should have really looked at this a lot more closely, but I guess I I missed a small but important detail of this process.
I've researched being a physician as a career and some of the requirements to do it, and I started feeling very excited about the prospect of becoming a doctor. However, I have noticed that because I am going into my junior year of college and haven't even started the process of getting into med school....I have a problem.
I have taken biology 101 and I've started a psychology major- I wanted to be a psychologist. Before too long I started looking at psychiatry, which lead me to careers in medicine...all the way to thinking about pediatrics. The major problem is that next year is my junior year. I'm OK with having to go to college for 3 more years, but I still have to take CHM 1, CHM 2, ORGO 1 and 2, and a year of physics, minimally. My plan was this as a timeline:
I would do all this while completing my major requirements. I'm not sure what major to do...I have some credits in psychology, and I was thinking about going for a biomedical sci major or one in child development.
TO SUM IT UP:

What do you suggest for electives? - I know we need a year of bio, but what are the very important electives, such as anatomy?

I really would like to go to medical school. The main problem is CHM, PHY, and ORGO, and when to take these classes in order to register for the MCAT and get into medical school in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks guys!!!!!
Maybe you can switch majors so you can fulfill your requirements, without having to do too much more? Otherwise, maybe you can graduate, and take these classes post-bac or something.

Dr.TobiasFünke

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
brightness said:
TO SUM IT UP:

Thanks guys!!!!!
Take gen chem and physics together and orgo the year after...

MCAT - summer after orgo

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dr.TobiasFünke said:
Take gen chem and physics together and orgo the year after...

MCAT - summer after orgo
Agreed. Definitely take them together. You will need the Phys by your Junior year to prepare for MCAT.

OP
brightness

brightness

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Grand Rapids, Mi
Status
Yikes. Ok...I will take them together. I am wondering how difficult it will be to have both physics and chem in the same semester. I'm not a math whiz at all, and I haven't even taken Trig yet. I need to take Trig first, right? Do I need trig for CHEM 1?

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
brightness said:
Yikes. Ok...I will take them together. I am wondering how difficult it will be to have both physics and chem in the same semester. I'm not a math whiz at all, and I haven't even taken Trig yet. I need to take Trig first, right? Do I need trig for CHEM 1?
You need to have good algebra skills for Chem. I think you need to be good at exponential equations for the second semester. That might be where trig comes it, but once you understand the concept, it shouldn't be too hard. My school requires high school alegbra for the non-chem major chemistry, and a year of high school chem in addition for the chem major (don't know WHY... first semester was just a repeat of hs chem).

About the Ads