medical schools replacing ug with post grad gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chirodocjrd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was interested if anyone knows of any medical schools that replace your undergrad science GPA with a postbach/masters GPA? I am from Michigan and have spoken to Wayne State and Michigan State medical schools, both of which will replace your undergrad science GPA with your GPA in a minimum of 20 credit hours of hard science postbach/masters classes.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Post-bacc and masters are NOT the same. PB work is still undergraduate work, and masters is not. To my knowledge most schools do NOT replace any UG work with masters work, and PB work is averaged into your UG work.

Reactions: 1 user
Had to look it up, and it appears to be legit. Gotta get a 3.7+ in that grad work.

Wayne State makes you open a Word doc: http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/self_assesment.asp

MSU looks less clear: http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/faq/pages/competitive_faq.php

Alrighty then. Now we know there are 2 exceptions to the Rule of Undergrad, so the Texas cheer needs to get updated to Texas+Michigan. Get instate, get a break.

If there are more schools that consider less than a year of grad work as more important than all of undergrad I'd be surprised. This looks like a very weak policy, imho.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post-bacc and masters are NOT the same. PB work is still undergraduate work, and masters is not. To my knowledge most schools do NOT replace any UG work with masters work, and PB work is averaged into your UG work.

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the difference between the two and I am sure that you are only trying to delineate between the two for readers whom do not understand. To explain, I had put a "/" between the two because I was told in person by admissions counslors at both medical schools that either would suffice to replace the undergrad GPA. (Or a doctorate level work for that matter) Basically paraphrased, any upper level hard science classes (examples: immunology, histology, physiology, etc) taken after a bachelors degree is awarded. I hope this clears up the issue if any other readers are curious to the meaning and what qualifies. I would suggest calling the programs directly for further clarification if desired.

I appreciate the input about Texas and LSU, I'd love to be a resident of either of these states...Michigan is miserable in the winter! Maybe I need to find a friend in either state and use their address as my permanent address ;) I know both Michigan schools cater to residents, but even if you are out of state, it looks like it would be worth it to apply. Especially with that great GPA! I wish everyone the best and hope that you all get accepted into medical school. If anyone else knows of any programs like the ones mentioned please let us know.

LSU (though not particularly OOS friendly, but more so next I think: YMMV) also has this policy. 32+ hours of post bacc Science credit and your UG gpa is supposedly meaningless. From me, from the horses mouth.

Great thread by the way, this is HUGE for Non-Trads. This completely makes my 4.0 in post-bacc, so far, something ENTIRELY different than if it were averaged in with my ug gpa.

So yes, what other schools??

Seriously? I shouldn't have taken them off my AMCAS. I'll have a 4.0 in 33pb science credits on July 30. I have 30 right now. Oh well.

Seriously? I shouldn't have taken them off my AMCAS. I'll have a 4.0 in 33pb science credits on July 30. I have 30 right now. Oh well.

Can you go back and amend your amcas app?

I know this thread is from a while ago, but does anyone know of other medical schools (MD or DO) that look at your postbac/masters GPA over your undergrad GPA if you get a certain GPA or take a certain number of credits?

I know LSUHSC-NO is one of them. I've heard Wayne State and Michigan State also do that, any others?

Not exactly the same, but there are a good number of schools that reward reinvention when someone aces a post-bac/SMP and combines that with a really good MCAT score.

I know this thread is from a while ago, but does anyone know of other medical schools (MD or DO) that look at your postbac/masters GPA over your undergrad GPA if you get a certain GPA or take a certain number of credits?

I know LSUHSC-NO is one of them. I've heard Wayne State and Michigan State also do that, any others?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not exactly the same, but there are a good number of schools that reward reinvention when someone aces a post-bac/SMP and combines that with a really good MCAT score.

How would I go about finding that list of schools, I'm assuming most of them don't just outright say that on their website? Any insight would be appreciated :)

Ponce SOM does replace u-gpa if master's gpa is in science or health related profession. However, while open to OOS, the school is not at all OOS friendly (I recall seeing 2 matriculated as i saw in last year's MSAR) .
I assume you're in Michigan b/c Wayne favors in-state. Not sure about MSU . You really can't rely on these programs for acceptance because of the oos factor. It'd be foolish to apply for 3 or 4 schools. Look at Goro's list for to make a more reliable list of schools. DO schools incorporate g-gpa into your u-gpa so that's always nice.

Case, Duke, Tulane, U Miami, BU, Tufts, Vandy, Columbia, Wayne State, SUNY Upstate, Drexel, Rosy F, your state schools, Albany, NYMC and ALL DO schools come to mind.

Thank you so much @Goro! You've been super helpful with your responses on all my posts, I really appreciate it!

Wow I wish I knew about this when applying

Case, Duke, Tulane, U Miami, BU, Tufts, Vandy, Columbia, Wayne State, SUNY Upstate, Drexel, Rosy F, your state schools, Albany, NYMC and ALL DO schools come to mind.

Would these schools consider a second bachelor as a PB or would it have to be a formal PB?

Anything after your first bachelors is post-bacc.
so if I have earned bachelor degree from foreign institution, applied to undergrad again in the US to get a 2nd bachelor. would that be considered post bac.

P.S ; only 116 credit hours were transferred in based on WES evaluation, not applicable to my 2nd degree at the US institution

1) AMCAS won't evaluate/use evaluated transcripts in calculation of GPA from foreign schools as below:

Independent Attendance, Credits Not Transferred
Courses (other than M.D. coursework) attempted independently at a foreign institution are
not required to be listed if credit has not been transferred to a U.S. or Canadian institution, except to meet medical school prerequisites unduplicated by other listed coursework. This category includes coursework taken in a foreign country before formally enrolling in a U.S. or Canadian institution as well as coursework taken independently after enrolling in a U.S. or Canadian institution.

You are not required to list these courses in your AMCAS application, but you may do so if you would like to make medical schools aware of the courses taken. The coursework will not be verified by AMCAS and will not be included in your AMCAS GPAs.
116 credits were transferred into the school based on the evaluation, there are semester hours, separate GPA for each course (such as AT, BT, which I am assuming A transfer ,B transfer), and overall GPA aside from US GPA. would these transfer credit hours not that count in AMCAS GPA, or just the 2nd degree/PB.

thanks for clarification!

Foreign coursework is a completely different scenario than undergrad vs grad with US - based transcripts.

There's a boatload of detailed info on class categorization in the AMCAS instructions on aamc.org.

I wouldn't be too worried about what's on your foreign transcripts. That GPA isn't going to be taken very seriously.

But your US undergrad coursework will be scrutinized with great rigor. Hopefully you're in shape to get mostly A's.

Is your citizenship and/or residency status in order? Without at least a greencard this won't go anywhere.

Best of luck to you.

Sorry I may have misread your original post. If you used this foreign degree having credits and grades transferred into a US school for a first degree, they would count towards AMCAS GPA. That is if the US school gave you credits and grades based on this off shore degree, they would be part of AMCAS GPA
I have not used it for 1st degree. It was part of the admission process to the US school.However, no one told me that they were going to accept any credit hours.
I am doing 2nd undergrad from scratch, but I do not know how the transfer GPA going to impact my AMCAS GPA(I have 2 GPAs now, a transfer GPA and US GPA). Also, I don't know if any medical school would be able to know that final calculated GPA by AMCAS includes foreign course work or not.

Foreign coursework is a completely different scenario than undergrad vs grad with US - based transcripts.

There's a boatload of detailed info on class categorization in the AMCAS instructions on aamc.org.

I wouldn't be too worried about what's on your foreign transcripts. That GPA isn't going to be taken very seriously.

But your US undergrad coursework will be scrutinized with great rigor. Hopefully you're in shape to get mostly A's.

Is your citizenship and/or residency status in order? Without at least a greencard this won't go anywhere.

Best of luck to you.
citizenship/residency are my least worry right now. Could you clarify how my transfer foreign GPA is not going to be taken seriously if AMCAS includes all my course work regardless.

I think you should find somebody who has gone through what you're trying to do. You seem surprised by the points I'm raising. The international forum may be helpful.