medical schools require recommendation letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luv2sd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools require recommendation letters from your professors and employers? Sorry I'm not familiar with the whole applcation process yet. Any information and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do medical schools require recommendation letters from your professor and employer? Sorry I'm not familiar with the whole applcation process yet. Any information and advice will be greatly appreciated.

I think virtually every school does. The standard request usually looks something like this:

2-Science Professors (Manditory)
1-Non-science professor (Manditory)
1-3 Other Letters from mentors, bosses, peers, physicians, etc. (Optional)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think virtually every school does. The standard request usually looks something like this:

2-Science Professors (Manditory)
1-Non-science professor (Manditory)
1-3 Other Letters from mentors, bosses, peers, physicians, etc. (Optional)

or

A composite letter from your undergrad pre-med committee.

How does everyone ask their professors to write recommendation letters? Just give professors empty letter envelops with stamps and addresses and ask them to make copies of the letter and send them to different medical schools?

It would be easy if I get the original copy of the letter but don't most professors want their recommendation letters to be confidential?

How does everyone ask their professors to write recommendation letters? Just give professors empty letter envelops with stamps and addresses and ask them to make copies of the letter and send them to different medical schools?

It would be easy if I get the original copy of the letter but don't most professors want their recommendation letters to be confidential?

I gave them a portfolio/folder sorta thing...it had a copy of my resume, my PS and an advanced thank you note (you can casually mention deadlines here if you want) along with this form that our school has that needs to be filled out by you and has to be give to the professor so that they can write the recommendation. The professor then writes and sends it to the school letter holding place and from there you can request to have it sent to different schools.

It depends on your school. If your school has a premedical advisor, you should make an appointment to talk to him/her about your school's resources.
If you have a premedical committee, then you usually ask a professor to write a letter, mail it to the premed advisor/committee, and the premed advisor/committee will often write a cover letter or committee letter that will be sent to all the schools you choose to apply to. Often, there is a form (at least I had to sign one) indicating that the letters will remain confidential (it is your choice, but it is usually recommended that applicants waive their right to view their letters).

If you do not have a premed advisor/committee at your school, there are services, such as interfolio, through which you can have your letters collected and delivered to the schools you choose to apply to. I did not use interfolio, but there are plenty of individuals on this forum who have, and can give you advice. However, most med schools require applicants to go through their premed committees/advisors if the school has one/them.

When asking for recommendations, ask early! Also, ask the letter writer if they feel comfortable writing a strong recommendation (luke warm/nonspecific recommendations are not going to help your application). I found that my letter writers appreciated receiving a folder/packet of information from me to assist them: a copy of my unofficial transcript, AMCAS personal statement (or even a rough draft to give them a feel for the way you are presenting yourself and your decision to enter the field of medicine), CV, a stamped envelope addressed to the premed advisor's office, and plan for the upcoming year (ECs, etc). I also included a letter to each letter writer, thanking them ahead of time, giving them a date (include some cushion room in case they wait to the last minute so that even if something comes up in their life, your application will not be delayed)by which I wanted to have my letter submitted, and any other relevant information.

That is a lot to think about, but if you search through threads from the summer, there are a lot of applicants who agonized about profs and other letter writers who took a long time to get around to writing their letters...thus delaying their applications...

Good luck! Do research about the application process before your application year so that you will be prepared for whatever the process brings.

Thank you guys VERY VERY much for the helpful advice/hints/tips.
I think I know what to do now.

I just a few more questions if you guys wouldn't mind answering :oops:

Would it be a good idea to ask professors to write recommendation letters during the summer before my senior year? And does it matter how many recommection letters I ask people to send to medical schools? More is better than less or is it the opposite? I want to ask as many professors as I can to write recommendation letters for me but I'm worried that some medical schools might think that I'm crazy :scared:

You should try to have your letters by the end of your junior year. If you are applying your senior year. Employer LOR are only needed if you are a non traditional. Many schools wanted to know what you were doing sinnce you left school. Though I think Penn State was the only one that actually required it. <could have changed since I applied>

4 to 5 is all you need. Anymore will do more harm then good. They might not read them

Do medical schools require recommendation letters from your professor and employer? Sorry I'm not familiar with the whole applcation process yet. Any information and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Every med school is different. Most want 2 science professors and 1 non science professor to write you letters. Some schools will ask for additional character letters which are preferably from employers, research advisors, or other such supervisors who have seen your abilities and can attest to them. Some schools also ask for peer letters.

The science and nonscience letters can be individual or be from a committee if you have a premed committee at your school.

Every med school is different. Most want 2 science professors and 1 non science professor to write you letters. Some schools will ask for additional character letters which are preferably from employers, research advisors, or other such supervisors who have seen your abilities and can attest to them. Some schools also ask for peer letters.

The science and nonscience letters can be individual or be from a committee if you have a premed committee at your school.

If I transfer to a differnet undergraduate school, would it be a good idea to get at least one recommendation letter from the previous school? What do you think? What does everyone think?

If I transfer to a differnet undergraduate school, would it be a good idea to get at least one recommendation letter from the previous school? What do you think? What does everyone think?

I don't think it matters one way or another as long as it was 2 science and one non science professor that wrote it..

I don't think it matters one way or another as long as it was 2 science and one non science professor that wrote it..

Thank you for the advice, gujuDoc.
I've already transfered before but I'm planning on transfering to a differnet school one more time this year. Ugh, it's going to be a pain in the ass to ask three different schools to send transcripts :smuggrin:

Just tell the professor that you need it by a certain date. Be assertive and semi-forceful as you make the due date. Yes you provide the envelope and stamp and it may beehoove you to put a pen inside just in case. Other than that get them before you apply!:luck:

Thank you for the advice, Doctor Karev.
I definitely think that including a pen is a good idea. It's funny too :D

No problem sweetheart (I'm assuming your a girl by the name) and I am sure you will get in if your planning this early.

I'm just being polite and thankful to the people who have spent their time answering my questions and helping me out.

p.s. Sorry, I'm a guy and No, luv2sd does not stand for "love to suck dick" :smuggrin:

I'm also not sure about how to go about getting LORs. Do you guys ask your professors right after you get your grade so that your professor still remembers you well? This can mean that the date on the LOR is many months or even years before you actually apply, right? Can you submit LOR that was written, say 2 years ago? This didn't seem right to me. I thought it was better to wait to ask for LOR until I'm ready to apply (perhaps a couple of months before I apply), but there was a risk that my professors wouldn't remember me by then. Classes were really large in my university (about 300 students per class).

How did you guys do it? When should I ask for LOR? While I'm still taking the professor's class, after I receive my grade, or when I'm ready to apply?????

I'll just echo the advice for interfolio. Makes it easier on prof's (only have to send one time, and can do so electronically), makes it easier on you (full control), and electronic submission to schools is fast.