Jun 30, 2016
Hi there,

I have two questions about how medical schools receive our LOR through the AMCAS letter service.

(Context: ) Once I assign letter writers to a medical school, I understand that AMCAS will forward the letter upon submission from the writer almost immediately.

(Q1: ) How long does it take for the respective medical school to process that 3 individual letters have been received from the applicant and update accordingly on the secondary portal? I am guessing/assuming almost immediately, since the whole process is automated. I submitted my secondaries before receiving all of my letters.

(Q2: ) Is it possible to de-select a letter that has already been assigned to a medical school? I read that I can just delete the letter writer and that will remove the writer. Is this true? This is because I am afraid he won't submit my letter in a timely manner.

Thank you all for any input!

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
(Context: ) Once I assign letter writers to a medical school, I understand that AMCAS will forward the letter upon submission from the writer almost immediately.
(Q1: ) How long does it take for the respective medical school to process that 3 individual letters have been received from the applicant and update accordingly on the secondary portal? I am guessing/assuming almost immediately, since the whole process is automated. I submitted my secondaries before receiving all of my letters.

Can take from 1 day to 4 weeks depending on how school does intake and processing. Usually a week or two.

(Q2: ) Is it possible to de-select a letter that has already been assigned to a medical school? I read that I can just delete the letter writer and that will remove the writer. Is this true? This is because I am afraid he won't submit my letter in a timely manner.

Which is why you shouldnt assign letters until they are in AMCAS

See the AMCAS instructions page 62 how to deselect a letter (link below)

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/54/3c/543c5531-29ce-4049-b278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

Reactions: gyngyn