Medical schools that cater to students with families

keithslc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard suggestions of schools that are 5 years in length and cater to students with families. Does anyone know more about such programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I've found UCSF to be very family-friendly as far as medical schools go. They have family housing very close to the main campus (1 & 2 bedroom apts) and I know a number of students/partners of students who have either given birth or adopted children during med school. Some of the students took time off - some didn't. The program is only 4 years, but there seems to be some flexibility with scheduling, so that some students actually take 5 years to graduate. Also, the family housing at UCSF is available to same-sex domestic partners.

:thumbup:
See "schools" thread from April, 04...plus, we have 1, 2 AND 3!!!!!!!! bedroom housing on campus with free cable modem & utilities :p

We specifically looked for a family friendly school----from the list of schools we applied to we found that University of Michigan, University of Pittsburgh and The University of Pennsylvania really impressed us.

High Points
Michigan- Incredible family housing & support, large non-traditional student body
Pittsburgh-terrific dependent health care coverage, affordable neighborhood housing, large non-traditional student body
U of Penn-personal attention to specific needs, flexibility in curriculum, faculty and financial aid office very supportive of non traditionals