Medical Schools that give out substantial scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreaming big

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Like most of the other pre-meds out there, medical school debt is a big problem. Due to some poor financial choices, I will be in around ~$210k debt by the time I graduate from undergrad. To make matters worse, my parents will not be helping me (we had a falling out) so I do not have a co-signer in them either.

I am a good student and want to know which schools give out substantial scholarships and what some "general" criteria for getting there would be.

For example, I know schools like Mayo, UPitt, & UMich give out a good amount of aid. From the MDAPPS I have read, it seems like getting a 36+ MCAT and a 3.8+ GPA gets you a good amount of money (close to full) at UPitt and UMich - is this true? Or does anyone have any better input?

Also, what are some other schools that are generous with scholarships?

I really appreciate any help

Members don't see this ad.

~210k.....at the end of undergrad? You're very lucky there's IBR now, and the 25 year thing where they'll forgive your loans at that point if you're still paying them off :scared:

Yale is also known for good financial aid, and your state schools be considered.

UChicago gives out a lot of scholarships, IIRC. Emory has a full ride fellowship that it invites certain accepted applicants to interview for.

Also, Wash U., Penn and a number of other "top" schools have some scholarship money that they give out above and beyond their regular aid packages. That being said, even for a good student, it would be imprudent to count on receiving merit aid at these schools as I imagine that it often gets funneled to students that these schools are aggressively wooing for institutional reasons (diversity, incredible numbers or research coupled with strong everything else etc.). Can't hurt to hope, though!

I'm not that familiar with Pitt, but Mich definitely gives out some merit money. That being said, I'm not sure if 3.8+ and a 36 would in any way guarantee your receiving anything past the standard aid at Mich. I don't know what % of Mich students receive extra money, but it's worth recognizing that a 3.8 and 36 by no means qualifies an applicant as a shoo-in at Mich to begin with...

Also, I know there are several new U.S. MD programs that will be opening their doors in the coming years. As these programs lack the reputation and stability of their established counterparts, they often give their first year classes significant financial incentives. Might be worth looking into! Good luck figuring out the financial stuff...it's daunting, to say the least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vanderbilt, Michigan, Wash U

210k?! you could pay 21 years of tuition at my large state univ...(inflation not adjusted)

How the heck does one accumulate 210K of debt? Oh wait, private schools at 50K per year...duh. Silly me, I attend a state school and lived at home!

I'lll be honest...I didn't know med schoools even gave scholarships...maybe bc no one in my family was good enough for them haha. I do know dental schools threw scholarships at my brother up the wazoo. I know I'll be fully responsible for my med school loans, as my parents believe it'll make me value my education more if I'm paying for it. Don't fret about the loans..just be a doctor, live frugally, and you will be able to pay it off in time! Everyone does it. Don't let the debt scare you.

Reactions: 1 user
Very few students will get a significant scholarship. Students that do have exceptional numbers and stand out ECs.

UChicago gives out a lot of scholarships, IIRC. Emory has a full ride fellowship that it invites certain accepted applicants to interview for.

Also, Wash U., Penn and a number of other "top" schools have some scholarship money that they give out above and beyond their regular aid packages. That being said, even for a good student, it would be imprudent to count on receiving merit aid at these schools as I imagine that it often gets funneled to students that these schools are aggressively wooing for institutional reasons (diversity, incredible numbers or research coupled with strong everything else etc.). Can't hurt to hope, though!

I'm not that familiar with Pitt, but Mich definitely gives out some merit money. That being said, I'm not sure if 3.8+ and a 36 would in any way guarantee your receiving anything past the standard aid at Mich. I don't know what % of Mich students receive extra money, but it's worth recognizing that a 3.8 and 36 by no means qualifies an applicant as a shoo-in at Mich to begin with...

Also, I know there are several new U.S. MD programs that will be opening their doors in the coming years. As these programs lack the reputation and stability of their established counterparts, they often give their first year classes significant financial incentives. Might be worth looking into! Good luck figuring out the financial stuff...it's daunting, to say the least.

Thanks for all the replies people. What do you think more accurate numbers at UMich would be for a better chance at a scholarship?

I will also be checking out new medical schools for the 2012 year (i am applying in 2011). Do all new medical schools give out financial incentives?

why don't you worry about getting first

MD/PhD is a full ride pretty much everywhere.

I believe there are still a few more medical schools that will be opening in the next few years. The ones that have already opened recently have typically offered large scholarships as incentives to their first graduating class. Might be something to consider.

Hey,

Like most of the other pre-meds out there, medical school debt is a big problem. Due to some poor financial choices, I will be in around ~$210k debt by the time I graduate from undergrad. To make matters worse, my parents will not be helping me (we had a falling out) so I do not have a co-signer in them either.

I am a good student and want to know which schools give out substantial scholarships and what some "general" criteria for getting there would be.

For example, I know schools like Mayo, UPitt, & UMich give out a good amount of aid. From the MDAPPS I have read, it seems like getting a 36+ MCAT and a 3.8+ GPA gets you a good amount of money (close to full) at UPitt and UMich - is this true? Or does anyone have any better input?

If you do have a a 36+ and 3.8 you usually get a good amount of aid money at any school. Heck even for many schools after your first year you get 10,000+ a year in aid every year.

What undergrad school did you go to? I need to tell everyone not to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
210,000 after undergrad?!!! Does this include credit card debt?

Wow, that really changes things financially. It will take a long time to catch up with people that chose careers not requiring college (correct me if I'm wrong) like police officer or fireman.

Hmm, I don't know many people with scholarships for medical school. I know of one URM that had full rides to several medical schools...I always thought that scholarships (without conditions like the military) in medical school were very scarce.

Hey,

Some that come to mind.. Very tough to get these, numbers are not enough -- you need stellar interview, essays, ecs, etc.. Cast a wide net even if your stats are great. Make sure to seriously consider your state school if you are already in significant debt from ugrad
WashU (10+)
Duke (10+)
Pritzker (tons)
Penn (around 10)
Vanderbilt (quite a few)
Emory (around 6-8 woodruff fellowships)
Pitt
cleveland clinic (entire class)
mayo (everyone gets a lot, this yr everyone got first yr free I think)
Michigan
UVA
UNC

Some that come to mind.. Very tough to get these, numbers are not enough -- you need stellar interview, essays, ecs, etc.. Cast a wide net even if your stats are great. Make sure to seriously consider your state school if you are already in significant debt from ugrad
WashU (10+)
Duke (10+)
Pritzker (tons)
Penn (around 10)
Vanderbilt (quite a few)
Emory (around 6-8 woodruff fellowships)
Pitt
cleveland clinic (entire class)
mayo (everyone gets a lot, this yr everyone got first yr free I think)
Michigan
UVA
UNC

Add Wake to that. I believe they give out a few (3+)

Why do you need a cosigner? Stafford loans do not require a credit check and grad plus only do a soft credit check looking for bankruptcy or defaults

Why do you need a cosigner? Stafford loans do not require a credit check and grad plus only do a soft credit check looking for bankruptcy or defaults

I didn't know this about Gradplus loans...thanks for the info

Hey,

Add Einstein to the list, they give out some solid scholarships.

Some that come to mind.. Very tough to get these, numbers are not enough -- you need stellar interview, essays, ecs, etc.. Cast a wide net even if your stats are great.

Hey,
Thanks for everyones reply. Yes, Undoubtedly these are very hard to get, and my state school is definitely on the list, but it never hurts to try.

Also, the undergrad college was Union in NY. 51K tuition plus expenses.:eek:

Does anyone else know of any schools?

The military and the primary care routes might be a good thing for you to look into. My school has a generalist scholars program that offers some scholarships (dunno how much the scholarships are).

Thanks for all the replies people. What do you think more accurate numbers at UMich would be for a better chance at a scholarship?

I will also be checking out new medical schools for the 2012 year (i am applying in 2011). Do all new medical schools give out financial incentives?

I actually am not sure what the statistics for scholarships at Michigan would be. My guess/experience from friends who were offered money (all OOS) would be a combination of great interview and writing skills, solid research, some uniqueness, and high numbers (definitely high 30s and 3.8+ from my friends...which doesn't mean that's universal, just my small sample of people). Being a URM seems to exponentially increase the probability of being awarded a merit scholarship, since strong students from diverse backgrounds are often fought over by schools.

That brings me to another point. I believe Michigan (not sure about other schools) tends to offer its money later in the season when students are pondering their final choices. My theory, which again is only supported by my small sample of friends and classmates, is that being wooed by other top schools makes you a significantly more attractive candidate for some extra financial incentives... just something to keep in mind ;-)

As for the new schools thing-I'm not sure if all new schools give money, but I know it's a common practice. I would check it out school by school...worth doing the research anyway since you don't want to end up somewhere you hate just because of an extra 5k a year...

Hey,

Like most of the other pre-meds out there, medical school debt is a big problem. Due to some poor financial choices, I will be in around ~$210k debt by the time I graduate from undergrad.

I don't mean to rub it, but that sucks! I hope you do manage to get a great scholarship to compensate for that :luck:

Oh wow...Harvard just became my top choice! :smuggrin:

:laugh: Amen! I will definitely apply to all the other medical schools mentioned on this thread as well. I know there's no gurantee that I'll get a scholarship, but it's worth a try.

Lerner at the Cleveland Clinic is free for everyone. Texas schools are super cheap if you're in-state. MD/PhD at any school is almost always free.

Texas schools are super cheap if you're in-state.

Texas schools also have a loophole so they can give some OOS students (those who they really want to attract) a smaller scholarships ($1000+ a year) and that eliminates OOS tuition so you get instate tuition with a small scholarship.

Here is a consolidated list:
UChicago
Emory
UPenn
UMich
Pitt
Vanderbilt
Duke
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo
UVA
UNC