Medical Schools that Have Issues with Community College Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bludawgs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to know if there’s a list of med schools that do not accept or dislike community college class credits specifically for the first two years of college before transferring. I searched MSAR but there is no filter option and I can’t find information on each school’s profile about their preferences.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I would like to know if there’s a list of med schools that do not accept or dislike community college class credits specifically for the first two years of college before transferring. I searched MSAR but there is no filter option and I can’t find information on each school’s profile about their preferences.
So, you want someone here to do that research for you? Why not go to the websites of the schools you are interested in, and let us know what you find?

So, you want someone here to do that research for you? Why not go to the websites of the schools you are interested in, and let us know what you find?
Most of the schools don’t address the question on their site

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is an aggregate of schools info on this topic written by the noble @gonnif

SUNY Upstate College of Medicine
Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University
“Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.”

Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
http://icahn.mssm.edu/education/medical/admissions/regular-track/requirements
Q: Can I take my courses at a community college, or must I take them at a four-year college or university?
A: We have no requirement about where you take courses, though the Committee on Admissions does take that into consideration in evaluating your application.

Johns Hopkins Medical School
Prerequisites, Requirements and Policies | Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine M.D. Program
The School of Medicine accepts prerequisites completed at the community college level. In order to be competitive in the selection process, we encourage prospective applicants with community college prerequisites to supplement these courses by taking advanced courses in related subjects at their four year institution.

University of Florida College of Medicine
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions » FAQ » Medical Admissions » College of Medicine » University of Florida
Q: Can I take the prerequisite courses at my local community/junior college?
A: In order to create the most academically competitive application you should take all prerequisite courses at the most competitive bachelor’s degree granting institution where you can gain entrance. You should try to complete your pre-requisite courses at a four-year institution

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...pplication-procedure/course-requirements.aspx
Whereas course work at a four-year college or university is our benchmark, if a student chooses to meet a competency component via an alternate route such as through laboratory experience, through an advanced placement course, a course taken at a community college, a course taken abroad (during a semester abroad for which the undergraduate U.S. degree-granting institution gives credit, or for which AMCAS will verify and report the grade), or an online course, he or she should seek guidance from his or her advisor to ensure that the option meets the above guidelines as well as the rigorous academic standard required by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

George Washington University
MD Program Frequently Asked Questions | The School of Medicine & Health Sciences
Do you accept community college credits?
Yes. The Committee on Admissions does accept coursework taken at a community college; however, it is preferable to have the pre-medical coursework taken at a four-year college or university.

Florida State University College of Medicine
http://med.fsu.edu/?page=mdAdmissions.admissionRequirement
Listed below is the pre-requisite coursework required for all matriculates to the FSU COM. Advanced Placement, CLEP, and dual enrollment credits fulfill the course requirements. However, courses taken in a traditional classroom at a four-year institution are considered to be more academically competitive.

Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
MD Program Admissions Requirements | Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Two pre-requisite science courses can be fulfilled with AP credits, community college courses or through a study abroad program.

Texas A&M Health Sciences Center College of Medicine
Medical School Admissions
Policy on AP Credits, Credits by Exam, and Dual Credit
We generally prefer that applicants take the prerequisite courses at 4-year accredited colleges and universities rather than utilize advanced placement credits, credits by exam, dual-credit, pass/fail course work or community college courses. We do not dismiss these credits; and, if they have been taken, we will accept them toward meeting the prerequisites. In fact, if an applicant has placed out of a required level course, we will also accept another course in that discipline at the same or higher level. Again, our preference is that applicants take graded courses at 4-year institutions, particularly the prerequisites in the biological sciences and the chemistry series.

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/faq/#q43
Are community college classes accepted as prerequisite course credit?
They may be, but the Admissions Committee generally expects students to complete all prerequisite courses at a four-year undergraduate institution.
Yale
https://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/apply/premed.aspx
Pre-medical courses must be completed in a U.S., U.K., or Canadian college or university. U.S. Community College courses are acceptable, provided that the courses include laboratory work and are comparable in content to courses at four-year colleges, universities, or institutes of technology.

They may be, but the Admissions Committee generally expects students to complete all prerequisite courses at a four-year undergraduate institution.

Weill Cornell
http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_faq.html
Can I take my prerequisite courses at a Community College?
It is not recommended.

Here is an aggregate of schools info on this topic written by the noble @gonnif

SUNY Upstate College of Medicine
Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University
“Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.”

Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
http://icahn.mssm.edu/education/medical/admissions/regular-track/requirements
Q: Can I take my courses at a community college, or must I take them at a four-year college or university?
A: We have no requirement about where you take courses, though the Committee on Admissions does take that into consideration in evaluating your application.

Johns Hopkins Medical School
Prerequisites, Requirements and Policies | Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine M.D. Program
The School of Medicine accepts prerequisites completed at the community college level. In order to be competitive in the selection process, we encourage prospective applicants with community college prerequisites to supplement these courses by taking advanced courses in related subjects at their four year institution.

University of Florida College of Medicine
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions » FAQ » Medical Admissions » College of Medicine » University of Florida
Q: Can I take the prerequisite courses at my local community/junior college?
A: In order to create the most academically competitive application you should take all prerequisite courses at the most competitive bachelor’s degree granting institution where you can gain entrance. You should try to complete your pre-requisite courses at a four-year institution

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...pplication-procedure/course-requirements.aspx
Whereas course work at a four-year college or university is our benchmark, if a student chooses to meet a competency component via an alternate route such as through laboratory experience, through an advanced placement course, a course taken at a community college, a course taken abroad (during a semester abroad for which the undergraduate U.S. degree-granting institution gives credit, or for which AMCAS will verify and report the grade), or an online course, he or she should seek guidance from his or her advisor to ensure that the option meets the above guidelines as well as the rigorous academic standard required by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

George Washington University
MD Program Frequently Asked Questions | The School of Medicine & Health Sciences
Do you accept community college credits?
Yes. The Committee on Admissions does accept coursework taken at a community college; however, it is preferable to have the pre-medical coursework taken at a four-year college or university.

Florida State University College of Medicine
http://med.fsu.edu/?page=mdAdmissions.admissionRequirement
Listed below is the pre-requisite coursework required for all matriculates to the FSU COM. Advanced Placement, CLEP, and dual enrollment credits fulfill the course requirements. However, courses taken in a traditional classroom at a four-year institution are considered to be more academically competitive.

Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
MD Program Admissions Requirements | Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Two pre-requisite science courses can be fulfilled with AP credits, community college courses or through a study abroad program.

Texas A&M Health Sciences Center College of Medicine
Medical School Admissions
Policy on AP Credits, Credits by Exam, and Dual Credit
We generally prefer that applicants take the prerequisite courses at 4-year accredited colleges and universities rather than utilize advanced placement credits, credits by exam, dual-credit, pass/fail course work or community college courses. We do not dismiss these credits; and, if they have been taken, we will accept them toward meeting the prerequisites. In fact, if an applicant has placed out of a required level course, we will also accept another course in that discipline at the same or higher level. Again, our preference is that applicants take graded courses at 4-year institutions, particularly the prerequisites in the biological sciences and the chemistry series.

Yale
https://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/apply/premed.aspx
Pre-medical courses must be completed in a U.S., U.K., or Canadian college or university. U.S. Community College courses are acceptable, provided that the courses include laboratory work and are comparable in content to courses at four-year colleges, universities, or institutes of technology.

Weill Cornell
http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_faq.html
Can I take my prerequisite courses at a Community College?
It is not recommended.
Thanks!

You can also buy and use the MSAR to specifically check for these things.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
MSAR ONline

Reactions: 1 users
This is an intentional necrobump. I frequently still see this post cited in various pre-med circles however many of the schools no longer have advisories against community college on their website. And in general, a handful of schools out of ~200 should not dissuade one from pursuing their academic goals in a way that works for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Anecdotal, but I don't notice any significant issues with the students I advise in applications who have a mix of 4-year and CC coursework.

I think the only time it raises eyebrows is if someone specifically targets taking pre-req classes that are considered "harder" at a CC while enrolled in a 4-year college where they take non pre-req courses. For instance, taking OChem from a local CC in the same semester you're enrolled at a 4-year school.

For people who start at a CC, or are career-changers / picking up pre-req courses after graduation, I have not seen it raise issues.

Reactions: 2 users
Anecdotal, but I don't notice any significant issues with the students I advise in applications who have a mix of 4-year and CC coursework.

I think the only time it raises eyebrows is if someone specifically targets taking pre-req classes that are considered "harder" at a CC while enrolled in a 4-year college where they take non pre-req courses. For instance, taking OChem from a local CC in the same semester you're enrolled at a 4-year school.

For people who start at a CC, or are career-changers / picking up pre-req courses after graduation, I have not seen it raise issues.
Yes, that is true at my school but I have heard anecdotally that some schools (as detailed by @gonnif flatly rejected applicants who had such credits. This might be a policy that has changed over time to be more lenient.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Yes, that is true at my school but I have heard anecdotally that some schools (as detailed by @gonnif flatly rejected applicants who had such credits. This might be a policy that has changed over time to be more lenient.
Possibly! Just not something I've seen in the last decade or so. May also just be where my students are applying.

I completely agree that any school with such a policy should really look at it from an EDI lens, as it's extremely problematic. It's also pretty... elitist with respect to assuming the quality of education at all 4-years is better than at all CCs, which is something I would say is flatly untrue in my field.

Reactions: 3 users
Wanted to add my 2 cents on this topic to help out future applicants. If you look up "AAMC MSAR Advisor Reports" on the internet, you can have access to a ton of really awesome information about all MD granting institutions (all for free!!). These reports also include a comprehensive document that describes which schools outright accept or reject courses taken at community colleges (or list these courses as reviewed on a case-by-case basis). Putting this out there in hopes that it helps someone!

Also, I am a CC transfer student and am having a pretty successful cycle so far (10 II, 6 of them are T20 - not saying this to brag, just being transparent to add another data point in suggesting that attending a community college doesn't necessarily preclude you from having success at top-tier schools). I've attended most of my interviews and have never been asked about my time at community college. I hope this gives additional reassurance to those CC transfer students who are interested in pursuing medicine!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users