MarzMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2005
1,148
3
Status
Medical Student
I have a question for you medical students in schools that promote primary care. How are your rotations like during the latter years of medical school? Do you get the same exposure as students at other schools, or do they only focus on primary care? Do these schools hold you back if you actually want to specialize? If so, how?
 

CatsandCradles

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2005
1,654
5
Status
Other Health Professions Student
MarzH05 said:
I have a question for you medical students in schools that promote primary care. How are your rotations like during the latter years of medical school? Do you get the same exposure as students at other schools, or do they only focus on primary care? Do these schools hold you back if you actually want to specialize? If so, how?
I'm not qualified to answer your questions, but you might want to place another post in the osteopathic forum. I know some of the schools crank out a large percentage of PCP. I think West Virgina has like 87% going into primary care according to the US News and World Report.

I hope someone else can jump in and answer your questions, because I'd like to see what they say too. :)

C&C
 

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,315
24
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
moving to allo...
 
About the Ads

MarzMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2005
1,148
3
Status
Medical Student
Someone has to know something...........
 

Vanime

I am a Happy Tree
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
8
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MarzH05 said:
Someone has to know something...........
Since I'm only a 2nd year right now, I'll just relay what I know from upper classmen and from what I've seen during the Match ceremony. My school focuses on primary care (it's in the mission statement), but our rotations are still the typical rotations you would have any other place (8 weeks in surgery, etc...). We're also encouraged to do external rotations in our 4th year. It's just that as we are going through our basic sciences, we are encouraged to do primary care, but the school in no way hinders you or discourages you from specializing. The primary care focus shows through our school owning the public general hospital which basically serves anyone and everyone. From the mission statement, the school's goal is to fulfill that need.

However, from the Match results of recent graduates, a great deal of people entered specialties, and there is almost at least one person doing a residency each specialty field (say, ortho, gen surg, neuro, anes...), and have heard that the school (dean) will actually give suggestions to where you may want to do your residency in specific to your specialty (if you ask such guidance).
 

Koko

Koko
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
366
0
The Jungle
Status
An excellent question. Check out the curriculum during third year to get your answer. Often state schools will push primary care due to pressure from state legislature secondary to funding. This has profound consequences for medical students (e.g. no exposure or token exposure to rads, neuro, ortho, ENT, etc.) . Furthermore, you may discover an interest in ophtho, derm, etc., and it may be too late at these schools.
 

MarzMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2005
1,148
3
Status
Medical Student
Vanime said:
Since I'm only a 2nd year right now, I'll just relay what I know from upper classmen and from what I've seen during the Match ceremony. My school focuses on primary care (it's in the mission statement), but our rotations are still the typical rotations you would have any other place (8 weeks in surgery, etc...). We're also encouraged to do external rotations in our 4th year. It's just that as we are going through our basic sciences, we are encouraged to do primary care, but the school in no way hinders you or discourages you from specializing. The primary care focus shows through our school owning the public general hospital which basically serves anyone and everyone. From the mission statement, the school's goal is to fulfill that need.

However, from the Match results of recent graduates, a great deal of people entered specialties, and there is almost at least one person doing a residency each specialty field (say, ortho, gen surg, neuro, anes...), and have heard that the school (dean) will actually give suggestions to where you may want to do your residency in specific to your specialty (if you ask such guidance).
Thank you for your response Vanime. Meharry is in fact one of the schools I am applying to that made me think of this question. For a long time I have wanted to do pediatrics, but as I gain exposure to other fields, they seem to be intriguing as well. Although I still want to go into peds, I need to know that there is a possibility that I can go into EM if I change my mind.
 

SocialistMD

Resident Objectivist
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2001
2,913
17
41
Oregon
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
You can go into any specialty from any school, primary care focus or not. Schools that focus on primary care tend to have more required primary care rotations, but you will still have your elective time and you will still be exposed to the core of medicine, peds, surgery, ob/gyn, neuro and psych.
 

trudub

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2003
337
2
38
Nebraska
Visit site
Status
SocialistMD said:
You can go into any specialty from any school, primary care focus or not. Schools that focus on primary care tend to have more required primary care rotations, but you will still have your elective time and you will still be exposed to the core of medicine, peds, surgery, ob/gyn, neuro and psych.
I would agree with that except I would not say that every school exposes to neuro. Mine for instance does not have a core rotation that includes neuro, it is purely elective during part of your medicine clerkship or during fourth year electives.
 

SocialistMD

Resident Objectivist
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2001
2,913
17
41
Oregon
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
trudub said:
I would agree with that except I would not say that every school exposes to neuro. Mine for instance does not have a core rotation that includes neuro, it is purely elective during part of your medicine clerkship or during fourth year electives.
Then consider yourself lucky...;)
 

BOHICA-FIGMO

Belt-fed Physician
10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
785
5
High and right
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My school forces primary care for 1st and 2nd year preceptorships and 3rd year rotations (except for gen surg rotation, which is ALMOST primary care). 4th year rotations are full of electives to allow you consider other specialites. You just have to schedule them in advance to get your auditions in before the match.

Otherwise, I wouldn't say there is any pressure to go into primary care.
 

Mike59

Sweatshop FP in Ontario
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2001
1,084
6
The inner-net
Visit site
Status
Many state schools will promote primary care in subtle ways as some states are trying to increase the number of primary care docs through the state school programs.

Unfortunately, by the time most students finish rotations, family practice and general internal get slammed so bad by many attendings that many students are turned off and want to go into the glamorous specialties instead.
 

MarzMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2005
1,148
3
Status
Medical Student
Mike59 said:
....... family practice and general internal get slammed so bad by many attendings that many students are turned off and want to go into the glamorous specialties instead.
What exactly do you mean by that? Why do attendings frown upon PC?
 

Mike59

Sweatshop FP in Ontario
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2001
1,084
6
The inner-net
Visit site
Status
MarzH05 said:
What exactly do you mean by that? Why do attendings frown upon PC?

In a nutshell, I get it on every rotation when docs ask me what I wanna do and I tell them primary care, they basically try to convince me that I'll be miserable , that I'm "too smart for PC" or that I should choose surgery / a subspecialty so I don't get bored....
 

BOHICA-FIGMO

Belt-fed Physician
10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
785
5
High and right
Status
Resident [Any Field]
BOHICA-FIGMO said:
My school forces primary care for 1st and 2nd year preceptorships and 3rd year rotations (except for gen surg rotation, which is ALMOST primary care). 4th year rotations are full of electives to allow you consider other specialites. You just have to schedule them in advance to get your auditions in before the match.

Otherwise, I wouldn't say there is any pressure to go into primary care.
I feel that I should correct this statement as I was able to secure a surgery preceptorship over spring break (just found out today!). Sorry about any confusion!
 
About the Ads