Medical Schools that Screen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mb1985

mb1985
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been browsing SDN posts and mdapplicants profiles for some time and I feel that some people with great stats are not getting secondaries. Does anyone have an idea of some of the schools that screen? Also is screening based on numbers only or rather they glance at grades and the essay?

P.S. I am from NY and I am not interested in any Cali schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been browsing SDN posts and mdapplicants profiles for some time and I feel that some people with great stats are not getting secondaries. Does anyone have an idea of some of the schools that screen? Also is screening based on numbers only or rather they glance at grades and the essay?

Oregon Health and Science
Virginia Commonwealth University/Medical College of Virginia

I believe they look at both numbers and the essay as is the point of screening...

Those are the two I can think of off-hand. You can check the MSAR too.

Very few schools in the northeast still screen before sending secondaries (am assuming that's your main interest). None in the NYC area (including SUNY-Stony Brook, even though it's LI, and Downstate), NJ, Philly, or Boston do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I will do that. I have the old copy, but I am still gonna buy the new MSAR when it comes out in April.

Melissa

Thanks! I will do that. I have the old copy, but I am still gonna buy the new MSAR when it comes out in April.

Melissa

If you have a copy from last year, this year's isn't going to be significantly different, except in terms of absolute application numbers. Average GPAs, etc, don't change that much.

also Loyola/Chicago. yea the old MSAR should be fine for screened secondaries and what not. definitely get the new MSAR for the most up-to-date and accurate stats. good luck! :luck::luck:

Wayne State
U of Minnesota - Twin Cities
UW Madison
Wake Forest
Loyola
VCU

That's all I can remember for now... I dunno what they screen for though.

THANKS! I looked up all the schools that I am interested in applying to in the MSAR. I have had the book for a while, but I definitely missed that side section on whether they screened. Good luck to 2008 applicants and Congrats to those matriculation in 2007. Those who are still waiting...I wish you the best!

Vanderbilt screens. They only offer secondaries to students they plan to interview. In a way I guess it's kind of nice...cause then you don't waste the application fee for nothing.

I don't know whether or not they do this for OOS applicants, but I do know that as far as in-staters, UNC only gives secondaries to students they plan to interview. Also, I've heard that Wake Forest screens, and that the criteria is that students must have 30+ MCAT. However, I don't think this is true since I know a student this year who had a 29 and still recieved an interview. I'm an NC residents so I've heard about the UNC screening a lot and the mention of the Wake criteria from a few other friends who are pre-med. Don't hold me to this...maybe someone else can verify what I've heard.

Cheers
A (Tar) Heel Among Wolves

I don't know whether or not they do this for OOS applicants, but I do know that as far as in-staters, UNC only gives secondaries to students they plan to interview. Also, I've heard that Wake Forest screens, and that the criteria is that students must have 30+ MCAT. However, I don't think this is true since I know a student this year who had a 29 and still recieved an interview. I'm an NC residents so I've heard about the UNC screening a lot and the mention of the Wake criteria from a few other friends who are pre-med. Don't hold me to this...maybe someone else can verify what I've heard.

Cheers

Just as a clarification having a 30+ MCAT is no guarantee of an interview at Wake either. (Want to guess how I know that:( )

Just as a clarification having a 30+ MCAT is no guarantee of an interview at Wake either. (Want to guess how I know that:( )

Hey. How is the application cycle going for you? Regardless, I wish you the best because you deserve to be a doctor!!!

Wayne State
U of Minnesota - Twin Cities
UW Madison
Wake Forest
Loyola
VCU
Vanderbilt
UCSF

Cheers

UNC screens OOS before sending out secondaries and then once more before extending interview invites.

Hey. How is the application cycle going for you? Regardless, I wish you the best because you deserve to be a doctor!!!

Better but still mixed. I mean I've already been on two interviews and I've got a third one at the beginning of April and I'm even working.(And well paid on top of that.) However all that has to be put in perspective what my dad went through, a year long decline and death from that dred scourge, cancer. (I mention this in my mdapplicant page but one of my big hopes was to get in before he passed so that's a bummer.) Still, I'm going to soldier on until I make it though.

Thanks for the best wishes. I hope everything works out soon.(But mostly I just want to go to Drexel.)

can someone please post the list later for schools that care much about number? Thanks. :D