Medical Schools with same curriculum as Duke University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajafighting92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Sorry if someone asked this question already, but I was wondering if there are any other medical schools who have the same/similar curriculum as Duke University. I really love their new system; however, I've been researching for medical schools that also have the same, but haven't seen any. Does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

As of now, Vandy and Duke are the only schools with a 1 year pre-clinical curriculum. That being said, Duke is the only school that has 1 year of research built into its curriculum during M3 (i.e. excluding a research year that some students take at other schools).

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU is 1.5 year preclinical right?

NYU is 1.5 year preclinical right?

Yep, there are a number of schools with a 1.5 year pre-clincial curriculum. NYU is one of them. Penn, Columbia, and Baylor are the other ones. Cornell is implementing it this fall, and I believe Yale is implementing it next year (it was supposed to be for this year's incoming class though).

UIowa now has 1.5 year pre clinical

Edit: OHSU also now has 1.5 yr preclinical

Last edited:
Yep, there are a number of schools with a 1.5 year pre-clincial curriculum. NYU is one of them. Penn, Columbia, and Baylor are the other ones. Cornell is implementing it this fall, and I believe Yale is implementing it next year (it was supposed to be for this year's incoming class though).

Yup several schools have a 1.5 preclinical program, but most of them don't allow for 6 months full time research (I think Cornell may be an exception and allows for almost 6 months). Most other schools I looked at seem to allow for 3 months or protected research time. More research time was available (1-2 months more), but then you'd be cutting time out from Step 1 protected study time or residency interview time. Duke is really unique in giving you more than 9 months protected research time, built into the curriculum.