Medical Schools without a minimum GPA requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAGuyana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've called a couple of medical schools and some have been frank about the fact that they won't look at an application unless it is a certain GPA. As a nontraditional applicant w/o the stellar GPAs of most other applicants, this is very disconcerting. I'd as soon save my money than apply to these type of schools.

In that vein, does anyone know of any medical school w/o a minimum GPA requirement?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've called a couple of medical schools and some have been frank about the fact that they won't look at an application unless it is a certain GPA. As a nontraditional applicant w/o the stellar GPAs of most other applicants, this is very disconcerting. I'd as soon save my money than apply to these type of schools.

In that vein, does anyone know of any medical school w/o a minimum GPA requirement?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if anyone ever put together a list of schools that screen. However even if a school does not have a minimum GPA per se, in a practical sense, all schools are going to want to see decent numbers. If you have a very low GPA, you need to find a way to rehabilitate it, or otherwise show a current level of success in the sciences.

For whatever its worth, schools under the University of California screen GPA, and they tend to have a cut-off from 3.0-3.2. But as Law2Doc said, med schools still have to have some kind of quantitative standards to uphold. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing the average GPA for matriculants being 3.4-3.6. Just look at the statistics for each school. Heck MSAR reports the median, so that implies a non-normal distribution, hence a skewed relationship towards higher GPA.

You would need to call to see which schools do not screen, but I think your best bet, if your GPA is very low, is to do more coursework to move it up. Take more courses, take upper level science classes. Even med schools who don't screen will probably not accept low GPAs...the ones who screen are actually better in that they will tell you not to waste your money on their secondaries. Many, many schools will not tell you this but take your secondary $$ and ignore you for the duration of the application process.