Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

Premedtomed

What Med schools are you guys thinking of applying to? This is for the April MCAters
I will apply to Univ. of Cincinnati, Uni. of Ky (Instate for both! due to the county I live in)
Hopefully I need to get no less than 27 to get into both schools :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to all of the CA schools. In particular, I'm interested in UCLA, UC Irvine, and Loma Linda. I'm also interested in University of Michigan.

Where i would like to apply and where i will apply might will probably differ when i get my mcat scores :D , but University of Michigan, Wayne State, Texas A&M, NYU, Michigan State.

I realize applying to a med school that is out of state is harder to get into if its a public university but anyone know of friends/family that got into out of states schools with averages closer to instate applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying everywhere!! Since I live in cali, and I am as not as competitive an applicant as UCLAstudent, I don't stand much of a chance. I will apply to all the UC's (UCI first choice), USC (Getting close to first choice), loma linda, Western, Touro (Vegas baby..vegas), BU, UIC, MSU and others. I also plan on applying to harvard and hopkins, just in case they mix my name up with a worthy applicant and I get in.

If all goes well.... :eek:

Hopkins
Georgetown
GW
UVA
VCU
Maryland
NYU
Mount Sinai
NY Medical College
UMDNJ

ECU
UNC
Wake Forest
Case
UAB
VCU
MCW
UVA
Some NY schools depending on score
May be U of Arizona .. (I am not instate but I did my MBA there so may be)
Rochester
NYMC
Einstein
Tulane
Mount Sinai
Drexel
Emory

rest depending on score

(my list is going to be long as I am post-bacc and will be applying to TOO many schools to increase my chances .... For me it is going to be shot-gun strategy ..... spread it out... maybe one will find the target :D )

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to wish y'all good luck during this crapshoot of an application process! But i have a couple of stupid questions (so ignore them if you want!):
First, what schools look favourably at FL residents, if any? (obviously other than the ones in FL :D ) and second, I may be able to change my residency to TX while I'm applying. What do y'all think would give me the best chance-staying a FL resident or switching to TX, or does it really not matter?

Thanks for any help and I apologise in advance if these were stupid questions, I'm just trying to figure where I should I apply (though a lot is dependent on how the MCAT went-and that doesn't look too good :laugh: )

liverpoolufmd08 said:
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to wish y'all good luck during this crapshoot of an application process! But i have a couple of stupid questions (so ignore them if you want!):
First, what schools look favourably at FL residents, if any? (obviously other than the ones in FL :D ) and second, I may be able to change my residency to TX while I'm applying. What do y'all think would give me the best chance-staying a FL resident or switching to TX, or does it really not matter?

Thanks for any help and I apologise in advance if these were stupid questions, I'm just trying to figure where I should I apply (though a lot is dependent on how the MCAT went-and that doesn't look too good :laugh: )

Mayo considers FL residents as instate ..... or something to that effect ...

# applicants for FL decreased 0.7% from 2002 to 2003 whereas for TX the number jumped 10%
1500 for appx 417 spots in FL applied compared to 2700 for 1192 spots in TX

FL - instate matriculated 25% compared to 40% for TX

I think FL has 4 schools compared to 7 TX schools

both states cater mostly to instate candidates

Since TX has different application system then the rest, number of people applying from outside are few (just guessing)

Now YOU decide which state u want :D (quietly rolling the ball in liverpoolufmd08 court)

UT-Memphis
ETSU
UAB
South Alabama
UNC-Chapel Hill
Iowa
Kansas
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Med College of Ohio
Colorado
UVA
MCV
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Tulane
Wake

Maybe a few others, maybe a few less depending upon my MCAT score. Keeping costs low will be a priority.

I wish I was a SC resident--MUSC would be so cool. Or Texas. Cool towns and good facilities there. UCSD would be the dream school. Man, that year in Orange County was really nice.

NYU
Einstein
MSSM
Columbia
Cornell
NYMC
Tufts
BU
Harvard
Yale
OHSU
Alberta
Maybe UPenn, Drexel, Jefferson

Of course, I could still get in this cycle to Einstein, Calgary, or Alberta (depends on waitlist movement and/or new MCAT score).

Cheers,

Treg

CanIMakeIt,

Just wanted to say thanks for your help and all the info. Yeah, I do have a decsion to make but your stats will help it be a wee bit clearer. Anyway sent Karma your way (hey you deserved it) and good luck with everything.

Now all I have to do is finish my stinking personal statement! :mad:

Emory (I really hope they give preference to Emory undergrads)
University of Oklahoma (my home state)
Miami
Wake Forest
BU
GW
G'town
Tulane
VCU
Einstein
Tufts
Temple
Drexel