1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Medical Schools

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Premedtomed, Apr 20, 2004.

1. What Med schools are you guys thinking of applying to? This is for the April MCAters
    I will apply to Univ. of Cincinnati, Uni. of Ky (Instate for both! due to the county I live in)
    Hopefully I need to get no less than 27 to get into both schools :D

2. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm applying to all of the CA schools. In particular, I'm interested in UCLA, UC Irvine, and Loma Linda. I'm also interested in University of Michigan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mkkelly

mkkelly Member
    5+ Year Member

Where i would like to apply and where i will apply might will probably differ when i get my mcat scores :D , but University of Michigan, Wayne State, Texas A&M, NYU, Michigan State.

I realize applying to a med school that is out of state is harder to get into if its a public university but anyone know of friends/family that got into out of states schools with averages closer to instate applicants?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. premyo2002

7+ Year Member

I'm applying everywhere!! Since I live in cali, and I am as not as competitive an applicant as UCLAstudent, I don't stand much of a chance. I will apply to all the UC's (UCI first choice), USC (Getting close to first choice), loma linda, Western, Touro (Vegas baby..vegas), BU, UIC, MSU and others. I also plan on applying to harvard and hopkins, just in case they mix my name up with a worthy applicant and I get in.

5. jeanie523

jeanie523 Member
    7+ Year Member

If all goes well.... :eek:

Hopkins
    Georgetown
    GW
    UVA
    VCU
    Maryland
    NYU
    Mount Sinai
    NY Medical College
    UMDNJ

6. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Umich
    UTENN
    Temple
    Jefferson
    UVM
    NYU
    Rochester
    NYMC
    Einstein
    Tulane
    Northwestern
    Sinai
    USUHS
    Case Western
    Emory
    UVA
    George Washington
    VCU
    UNC
    Wake Forest

7. CanIMakeIt

CanIMakeIt Fellow
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    ECU
    UNC
    Wake Forest
    Case
    UAB
    VCU
    MCW
    UVA
    Some NY schools depending on score
    May be U of Arizona .. (I am not instate but I did my MBA there so may be)
    Rochester
    NYMC
    Einstein
    Tulane
    Mount Sinai
    Drexel
    Emory

rest depending on score

(my list is going to be long as I am post-bacc and will be applying to TOO many schools to increase my chances .... For me it is going to be shot-gun strategy ..... spread it out... maybe one will find the target :D )

8. liverpoolufmd08

liverpoolufmd08 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to wish y'all good luck during this crapshoot of an application process! But i have a couple of stupid questions (so ignore them if you want!):
    First, what schools look favourably at FL residents, if any? (obviously other than the ones in FL :D ) and second, I may be able to change my residency to TX while I'm applying. What do y'all think would give me the best chance-staying a FL resident or switching to TX, or does it really not matter?

Thanks for any help and I apologise in advance if these were stupid questions, I'm just trying to figure where I should I apply (though a lot is dependent on how the MCAT went-and that doesn't look too good :laugh: )

9. CanIMakeIt

CanIMakeIt Fellow
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Mayo considers FL residents as instate ..... or something to that effect ...

# applicants for FL decreased 0.7% from 2002 to 2003 whereas for TX the number jumped 10%
    1500 for appx 417 spots in FL applied compared to 2700 for 1192 spots in TX

FL - instate matriculated 25% compared to 40% for TX

I think FL has 4 schools compared to 7 TX schools

both states cater mostly to instate candidates

Since TX has different application system then the rest, number of people applying from outside are few (just guessing)

Now YOU decide which state u want :D (quietly rolling the ball in liverpoolufmd08 court)

10. freaker

freaker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

UT-Memphis
    ETSU
    UAB
    South Alabama
    UNC-Chapel Hill
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Ohio State
    Cincinnati
    Med College of Ohio
    Colorado
    UVA
    MCV
    Eastern Virginia
    Emory
    Tulane
    Wake

Maybe a few others, maybe a few less depending upon my MCAT score. Keeping costs low will be a priority.

I wish I was a SC resident--MUSC would be so cool. Or Texas. Cool towns and good facilities there. UCSD would be the dream school. Man, that year in Orange County was really nice.

11. Treg

Treg Surgeon in training
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    NYU
    Einstein
    MSSM
    Columbia
    Cornell
    NYMC
    Tufts
    BU
    Harvard
    Yale
    OHSU
    Alberta
    Maybe UPenn, Drexel, Jefferson

Of course, I could still get in this cycle to Einstein, Calgary, or Alberta (depends on waitlist movement and/or new MCAT score).

Cheers,

Treg

12. liverpoolufmd08

liverpoolufmd08 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

CanIMakeIt,

Just wanted to say thanks for your help and all the info. Yeah, I do have a decsion to make but your stats will help it be a wee bit clearer. Anyway sent Karma your way (hey you deserved it) and good luck with everything.

Now all I have to do is finish my stinking personal statement! :mad:

13. pbehzad

pbehzad Faddayy
    7+ Year Member

Emory (I really hope they give preference to Emory undergrads)
    University of Oklahoma (my home state)
    Miami
    Wake Forest
    BU
    GW
    G'town
    Tulane
    VCU
    Einstein
    Tufts
    Temple
    Drexel
    Loyola
    Rush
    Possibly a couple UT schools.

Oh yeah, I have to wait for that damn MCAT score :(

14. superdevil

superdevil planning my escape
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ...for sure...
    ohio state
    vanderbilt
    case western
    mco
    wright state
    cincinnatti
    northwestern

.....maybe....
    louisville
    iowa
    penn

...doubt it, but....
    yale
    dartmouth
    wustl
    baylor
    unc